Urban's Coaching Staff - News & Notes

.Buzz

Just now, pwny said:

Buddy, that’s not a great sign to forget that our current OC exists. 

I have MOVED PAST 2020, it is gone

Really he just wasn't coming to mind when I tried to think of available OCs that are former HCs. I don't even know how to grade how he did for us in 2020. He was......meh, I guess? He wasn't our biggest problem but I wasn't super impressed with anything he did either.

Just now, Jaguarfan said:

I have MOVED PAST 2020, it is gone

Really he just wasn't coming to mind when I tried to think of available OCs that are former HCs. I don't even know how to grade how he did for us in 2020. He was......meh, I guess? He wasn't our biggest problem but I wasn't super impressed with anything he did either.

If he wasn’t here last year, I’d be higher on him than I am.

Gotta give him props for the OL coming together as a cohesive unit, and for getting James Robinson ready to go out day 1 and be good. But beyond that, the passing game was a complete mess and it sounds like they didn’t use certain guys in roles that seemed obvious for them to be in. That said, I gotta still assume that urban is going to guarantee that Viska is going to get touches similar to a mix of how he had Harvin and Mike Thomas used, regardless of the OC.

Also I’ve got concerns that maybe the passing game didn’t come together because just nobody got reps for what’s supposed to be a complex offense so it had to be dumbed down too far. But idk. 

33 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

The more I see about Linehan the more I like.

Dave Campo on 1010 talked about his time in Dallas. When he was in Detroit he helped orchestrate a pass happy, high flying offense. Went to Dallas under Jason Garrett and was hamstrung/did what he could.

17 years of NFL experience, former HC, lot of OC experience/calling plays. I may be here for it.

Linehan sucks. Dont take just a cowboys fans opinion, ask @jrry32, a rams fan.

Dude is straight vanilla. He will make you want to pull your hair out. But, to a degree, I guess vanilla is okay when you are transitioning a rookie. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Linehan sucks. Dont take just a cowboys fans opinion, ask @jrry32, a rams fan.

Dude is straight vanilla. He will make you want to pull your hair out. But, to a degree, I guess vanilla is okay when you are transitioning a rookie. 

He didn't seem like he was vanilla in Detroit, at all.

Hard for me to factor in those Dallas days when again, you have an offensive minded HC putting his hands on things. But that's just me.

He's not a top guy for me, but I do believe experienced coordinators are important for Urban as he transitions. A guy who's experienced grooming a young QB with patches of legit success (that Detroit offense with Stafford was straight humming in 2011 despite a terrible running game situation)...idk, could be a whole hell of a lot worse in my eyes.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

What was creative about his time in Detroit? And please dont say "he passed a lot".... You can pass a lot and still be super vanilla. 

Hard for me to factor in those Dallas days when again, you have an offensive minded HC putting his hands on things. But that's just me.

Garrett let Linehan run the offense. Maybe he had some input throughout the week, but not on gameday. 

He's not a top guy for me, but I do believe experienced coordinators are important for Urban as he transitions. A guy who's experienced grooming a young QB with patches of legit success (that Detroit offense with Stafford was straight humming in 2011 despite a terrible running game situation)...idk, could be a whole hell of a lot worse in my eyes.

Not in mine. 

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

What was creative about his time in Detroit? And please dont say "he passed a lot".... You can pass a lot and still be super vanilla. 

Garrett let Linehan run the offense. Maybe he had some input throughout the week, but not on gameday. 

Not in mine. 

I'm just saying the offense in Detroit improved year by year and by 2011 they were one of the better units in the league. Not implying nor said he was some creative whiz. 

That's fine, too each their own. 

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I'm just saying the offense in Detroit improved year by year and by 2011 they were one of the better units in the league. Not implying nor said he was some creative whiz. 

That's fine, too each their own. 

2014 and 2016 he had great years with us as well. But its because our talent was incredible, not because of him. Its not that he hasnt had success, its just that he doesnt create the success through his scheme or play calling.  

Maybe I am being to harsh, but it was always:

1. run 
  2. run or short pass (slant or curls) 
  3. pass 
  4. punt  
  5. Repeat on the next drive like clockwork.

Cowboys fans absolutely despised him - a lot of that had to do with  the fact that opposing teams for years said they could predict our plays.

Just one guys opinion 👍

• Like 1

Just now, Matts4313 said:

2014 and 2016 he had great years with us as well. But its because our talent was incredible, not because of him. Its not that he hasnt had success, its just that he doesnt create the success through his scheme or play calling.  

Maybe I am being to harsh, but it was always:

1. run 
  2. run or short pass (slant or curls) 
  3. pass 
  4. punt  
  5. Repeat on the next drive like clockwork.

Cowboys fans absolutely despised him - a lot of that had to do with  the fact that opposing teams for years said they could predict our plays.

Just one guys opinion 👍

No I hear you. Honestly appreciate you coming in here and giving your take having watched his offense/playcalling.

I just think Urban having experienced coordinators is vital. As I said, he's not high on my list, but the experience and working with young QBs prior is a plus given our situation.

• Like 1

Linehan is just... ugh. Go to the Dallas board and see the opinion they have of that man. He called the plays, not Garrett. He is very vanilla and honestly the team didn't seem upset whatsoever that he was fired. The best was when teams would come out and say they new *exactly* what plays were about to be called. All that said, things could be different now on a new team and being a year removed from coaching. 

So far I am liking the hires. Just hope the same for OC.

52 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Vanillahan isn't good.

One of the things that he’s going to be able to do that we haven’t seen is hiring these coaches that don’t have any more of an upward trajectory but are still great at what they do. You hire Jerry Sullivan to be your WR coach or get a guy like **** LeBeau to be your DC, and they’re just there for as long as you want them there. You can get a decade out of one guy if he works out, and he’s likely to do so because he has a proven track record working there. 

I feel like in the past we’ve too often had guys who have yet to establish themselves at all on the majority of positions. So you are stuck replacing 3/4 of the staff within three years because they either sucked or got poached for a higher role elsewhere. It’ll be nice to have a handful of guys that if they’re good at what they’re doing, we can actually just keep them on because they’re not a guy who will be in the running for the next coordinator or HC opening.