Goff’s future with the Rams

RamRod

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Oh no he was not good in Tennessee, I acknowledge that. I just have faith in McVay to sprinkle some magic on him. Same way the Titans turned around Tannehill from Gase, I'm sure McVay could do with Mariota.

But the issue is Mariota didn't have bad coaching. He worked with Lafleur and Arthur Smith. Those guys are either on McVays level or just a step below. 

36 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

But the issue is Mariota didn't have bad coaching. He worked with Lafleur and Arthur Smith. Those guys are either on McVays level or just a step below. 

So I just looked into it in more detail. He really only had 1 year of each guy. (Arthur Smith was a TE coach for most Mariota's early years). His best years as a pro weren't under those guys surprisingly. His best season was Year 2, 2016. You make a good point, but I would love to see what McVay could do with him or someone else with some athleticism. 

All I’ll say is this, so far the “reporting” on this feels a lot like tabloid stuff more than anything concrete. 

McVay should be disappointed at some stuff that went on this year. And Goff should be fiery after he was healthy enough to be active but didn’t start.

Goff made stupid decisions this year, some that cost us games. And McVay also left him hanging out to dry with his play calling at times as well. And that’s not to mention Snead left them both without a Deep Threat after trading away Cooks. 

They are all culprits in some way, and they all need to get on the same page, because when it comes to the mix of Talent and assets available, Goff is the most likely path forward for the Rams to be successful for the next few years

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

All I’ll say is this, so far the “reporting” on this feels a lot like tabloid stuff more than anything concrete. 

McVay should be disappointed at some stuff that went on this year. And Goff should be fiery after he was healthy enough to be active but didn’t start.

Goff made stupid decisions this year, some that cost us games. And McVay also left him hanging out to dry with his play calling at times as well. And that’s not to mention Snead left them both without a Deep Threat after trading away Cooks. 

They are all culprits in some way, and they all need to get on the same page, because when it comes to the mix of Talent and assets available, Goff is the most likely path forward for the Rams to be successful for the next few years

Steve Wyche is a fairly reliable source, but let's throw his report out the window for arguments sake. You can take McVay's direct comments and actions as concrete. Goff was made the backup vs Seattle while being healthy enough to be on the active roster. That in itself is very much saying something. But his post game presser comments this weekend are very clear. Everything will be evaluated, even the QB. 

The idea to move away from Cooks was done with Goff in mind. He had little use for a deep threat when our QB cannot handle the pressure associated with a 5 step drop; he's not good at stepping up in the pocket and feeling pressure. It leads to more turnovers. McVay called the same plays for Wolford and we aired out the ball ALOT more. It's really on Goff as much as some don't want to believe it. Also, Cooks concussions were an issue that's best to get away from (unrelated to Goff).

Maybe bringing in another QB lights a fire under Goff (similar to Rodgers), but I'm not overly convinced that will be the case. This team is incredibly talented in several position groups, I'd love to see what someone like Matt Stafford or Ryan could do with this group, but we never will. Some people are coming around on Goff, some still holding strong 🤷‍♂️The Rams are not an organization keen on sitting tight. We will see a shake up at the QB position this offseason, but I do project Goff will be on the roster come Week 1.

12 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Steve Wyche is a fairly reliable source, but let's throw his report out the window for arguments sake. You can take McVay's direct comments and actions as concrete. Goff was made the backup vs Seattle while being healthy enough to be on the active roster. That in itself is very much saying something. But his post game presser comments this weekend are very clear. Everything will be evaluated, even the QB. 

The idea to move away from Cooks was done with Goff in mind. He had little use for a deep threat when our QB cannot handle the pressure associated with a 5 step drop; he's not good at stepping up in the pocket and feeling pressure. It leads to more turnovers. McVay called the same plays for Wolford and we aired out the ball ALOT more. It's really on Goff as much as some don't want to believe it. Also, Cooks concussions were an issue that's best to get away from (unrelated to Goff).

Maybe bringing in another QB lights a fire under Goff (similar to Rodgers), but I'm not overly convinced that will be the case. This team is incredibly talented in several position groups, I'd love to see what someone like Matt Stafford or Ryan could do with this group, but we never will. Some people are coming around on Goff, some still holding strong 🤷‍♂️The Rams are not an organization keen on sitting tight. We will see a shake up at the QB position this offseason, but I do project Goff will be on the roster come Week 1.

Can’t do a 5 step drop back when your line crumbles from the inside out....and who’s he going to throw to anyway that can beat a defense with speed? When the Rams had a legit deep threat and a stable line Goff was as good as anyone, we were completing a lot more passes 20 yards and beyond.. that’s the difference between 2018 Goff and 2019/2020 Goff. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

The best season of Goff's career came with Cooks. I cannot imagine Snead thought that Goff doesn't need a speed element. You could also argue 2018 was Cooks best season as well. Having a deep threat doesn't just mean you have to bomb it out. It also works to have the safeties not sit on the PA crossers when you have someone that the safeties have to carry. How many times this year did we see Goff just sit back on a PA shot play and have no where to go with the ball? Having Cooks helps create either the deep shot or the intermediate shot.

I do agree that Snead wanted out of the contract but just expecting the offense to not regress by replacing Cooks with Reynolds is foolish. We have no one that stresses the defense deep.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

Can’t do a 5 step drop back when your line crumbles from the inside out....and who’s he going to throw to anyway that can beat a defense with speed? When the Rams had a legit deep threat and a stable line Goff was as good as anyone, we were completing a lot more passes 20 yards and beyond.. that’s the difference between 2018 Goff and 2019/2020 Goff. 

2 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

The best season of Goff's career came with Cooks. I cannot imagine Snead thought that Goff doesn't need a speed element. You could also argue 2018 was Cooks best season as well. Having a deep threat doesn't just mean you have to bomb it out. It also works to have the safeties not sit on the PA crossers when you have someone that the safeties have to carry. How many times this year did we see Goff just sit back on a PA shot play and have no where to go with the ball? Having Cooks helps create either the deep shot or the intermediate shot.

I do agree that Snead wanted out of the contract but just expecting the offense to not regress by replacing Cooks with Reynolds is foolish. We have no one that stresses the defense deep.

PFF ranked Rams O-line 3rd this season. {queue everyone discrediting PFF} The O-line had some moments that were bad this season (vs GB was a little rough), but ultimately, we had a decent O Line this year. I'll repeat myself at nauseum: We have the best WR duo from a YAC perspective, we had 3 RB's finish with over 4.0 YPC, and an adequate O-Line. I'm not sure what everyone's expectations are, but these are circumstances that alot of QB's would kill to play with. 

3. LOS ANGELES RAMS

It is safe to say that the Rams got the bounce-back season they badly needed from their offensive line following the disaster that was the 2019 season for Los Angeles up front.

There really wasn’t a whole lot of movement from the Rams this past offseason to add to the group, so the change centered around improvement from the players who were already on the roster. Andrew Whitworth improved his PFF grade by 16 points before his injury, while Austin Blythe’s and Austin Corbett’s grades each jumped nearly 20 points. Those improvements paled in comparison to Rob Havenstein’s jump from a 50.9 PFF grade in 2019 to 80.0 heading into this year’s postseason.

As a result, Jared Goff has been pressured on fewer than 30% of his dropbacks after that number sat at 36% in 2019. That remains one of the biggest keys to this offense moving forward, given Goff's career clean pocket vs. pressure splits.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-offensive-line-rankings

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

PFF ranked Rams O-line 3rd this season. {queue everyone discrediting PFF} The O-line had some moments that were bad this season (vs GB was a little rough), but ultimately, we had a decent O Line this year. I'll repeat myself at nauseum: We have the best WR duo from a YAC perspective, we had 3 RB's finish with over 4.0 YPC, and an adequate O-Line. I'm not sure what everyone's expectations are, but these are circumstances that alot of QB's would kill to play with. 

What teams in the NFL have a worse options than the Rams in the deep passing game? The only 2 I think you could argue are NE and NO. And we know that NE has the worst receivers in the league. It's a flaw on the team. I don't know how that can be argued.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

What teams in the NFL have a worse options than the Rams in the deep passing game? The only 2 I think you could argue are NE and NO. And we know that NE has the worst receivers in the league. It's a flaw on the team. I don't know how that can be argued.

It didn't seem to stop John Wolford from going 3/9 on throws of 20+ yards in his solo start vs the Cardinals where Goff made one throw of 20+ yards vs the same defense. 

The playbook was the same. The wide receivers were actually different because Kupp didn't play with Wolf that game. The opponent was the same. Goff doesn't look deep anymore. Cooks is a scapegoat in this argument. 

18 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

It didn't seem to stop John Wolford from going 3/9 on throws of 20+ yards in his solo start vs the Cardinals where Goff made one throw of 20+ yards vs the same defense. 

The playbook was the same. The wide receivers were actually different because Kupp didn't play with Wolf that game. The opponent was the same. Goff doesn't look deep anymore. Cooks is a scapegoat in this argument. 

You are ignoring the question. The issue isn't Arizona. Goff was more effective keeping the ball short against them. There was no need to test the defense deep when you can take easy completions all day. And Wolford was 1/7 on non-blown coverages. A lot of times he was just trying to give our guys a chance but they aren't the type of receivers to win those balls which is the entire point of getting a vertical threat.

Edited by LeotheLion

The Rams have not been afraid to be bold and make splash personnel moves since coming to LA. We sign big-name players (Brandin Cooks, Clay Matthews, Dante Fowler), sign mega contracts (Gurley, Goff), and make huge trades (Jalen Ramsey, tried to get Khalil Mack but fell through).

For that reason I really hope we put together a deal to ship Goff + more to the Texans for Deshaun Watson. I have already heard rumors online that Rams are trying, and it wouldn't shock me if they're successful. Watson 100% wants to play somewhere else, he's clearly more talented than Goff, and the thought of him on a team that gives him some semblance of pass protection in a scheme coached by a great mind like McVay sounds amazing. Would make us instant SB contenders for next year IMO.

2 minutes ago, dtwizzy2k8 said:

The Rams have not been afraid to be bold and make splash personnel moves since coming to LA. We sign big-name players (Brandin Cooks, Clay Matthews, Dante Fowler), sign mega contracts (Gurley, Goff), and make huge trades (Jalen Ramsey, tried to get Khalil Mack but fell through).

For that reason I really hope we put together a deal to ship Goff + more to the Texans for Deshaun Watson. I have already heard rumors online that Rams are trying, and it wouldn't shock me if they're successful. Watson 100% wants to play somewhere else, he's clearly more talented than Goff, and the thought of him on a team that gives him some semblance of pass protection in a scheme coached by a great mind like McVay sounds amazing. Would make us instant SB contenders for next year IMO.

We aren't even in the running. It's not worth getting excited over. It's not happening. We don't have a 1st this year and literally NO ONE wants Goff. 

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

You are ignoring the question. The issue isn't Arizona. Goff was more effective keeping the ball short against them. There was no need to test the defense deep when you can take easy completions all day. And Wolford was 1/7 on non-blown coverages. A lot of times he was just trying to give our guys a chance but they aren't the type of receivers to win those balls which is the entire point of getting a vertical threat.

The Giants, Bears, and NYJ can be added to your list of teams don't have a deep play WR better than the Rams. We also didn't throw enough deep balls this season to truly test Reynolds or Jefferson's ability so it's tough to make an accurate assumption. The issue this season wasn't the lack of a deep threat, it was a QB not taking chances down the field. You're missing the point.

6 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

The Giants, Bears, and NYJ can be added to your list of teams don't have a deep play WR better than the Rams. We also didn't throw enough deep balls this season to truly test Reynolds or Jefferson's ability so it's tough to make an accurate assumption. The issue this season wasn't the lack of a deep threat, it was a QB not taking chances down the field. You're missing the point.

Slayton, Mooney, and Perriman. So no they cannot. 

We have tested Reynolds plenty. He is soft when the ball is in the air. He falls over with the slightest contact. I agree we didn't test Jefferson enough and that is an indictment on McVay. 

When we had Cooks and Watkins those were the primary guys getting deep targets. I have no idea how your assessment is we don't need Cooks and it's just Goff not wanting to throw deep when we had Cooks he was really the only guy stretching the field deep. It makes no sense. 

• Like 1