Browns fans: What do you think of this current regime?

everlong

5 minutes ago, StewieRules said:

Blew it on Wentz, Watson and one could argue Prescott - and screwed the pooch on every WR, draft or FA.  They need a quality talent evaluator in place for this upcoming draft, which is shaping up to be the most critical event this moribund franchise has seen in quite a while.  Sashi is a lawyer, not a personnel guy and he's (sorry to say it) been a loser anywhere he's been.  I think his strengths, namely contracts and cap management, are pretty clear.  I think he's a good guy, trying his best.  But he, like Mike Lombardi, has no earthly idea what a football player looks like - there's more to this than combine numbers.  Garrett was a no-brainer, and yes we've got some potential in some of the other guys drafted.  But we need a QB, and a few playmakers - and we don't have em.  HJ has made more than his share of mistakes, but his offense works IF he has the right pieces in place.  BUT - he must be ordered to find a young, quality OC, Hue clearly has too much on his plate and I think everything is kind of swirling together to create the perfect negative storm.  Our D shows flashes and the scheme works (although Peppers is totally miscast playing 30 yards off the LOS, he needs to be in the box)  Overall we have good coaches, their resumes are legit.  Being 60+ million under the cap is great and all, but beyond nailing the draft, we need to trade & sign some FA's (even if God forbid they're over 28) to bring some experience to the youngest roster in the league.   We have to draft better, we need to bolster the roster and that requires some proven football people.  Another year of the regime as it will guarantee you another year like the last two, and if everything isn't blown up over the off-season (and i hope it isn't) then it most certainly will next year --  and we get to go through this garbage all over again.  

I think the first order of business this offseason is hire a OC. Let Hue strictly be the coach of the team. Do what he is good at, talk to the players, coach them up, be a good moral guy and just manage the game. Let a OC take over the playcalling and freaking install a offense that is tailored to our young players to succeed.

It feels right now that our offense is complex and on level 'expert' when we have a bunch of beginners

10 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Its official 

Wentz is the real deal

we messed up bad

Jimmy watching this game pacing back and forth 

The biggest mistake in my mind is not passing on Wentz, but not trading up to get Goff.

If you know who you want at QB and all signs pointed to Goff for Hue and co., then you can't assume he was going to fall to you.

Wentz is a really good player now, but at draft time they decided that the gamble of acquirng picks to build a team may have been better than 1 QB.

So far that gamble was won by Philly and lost by us.

However, 2 things can't be overlooked when it comes to Wentz

1, Caron Wentz will be 25 in two months and Kizer is a full 3 years younger than him

2. Wentz not had the two best Tackles in football (Jason Peters and Lane Johnson) but has also been surrounded by really good talent (Alshon Jeffrey, Zach Ertz, Nelson Alghor, Legarrette Blount)5 and a good defense.

16 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

The biggest mistake in my mind is not passing on Wentz, but not trading up to get Goff.

If you know who you want at QB and all signs pointed to Goff for Hue and co., then you can't assume he was going to fall to you.

Wentz is a really good player now, but at draft time they decided that the gamble of acquirng picks to build a team may have been better than 1 QB.

So far that gamble was won by Philly and lost by us.

However, 2 things can't be overlooked when it comes to Wentz

1, Caron Wentz will be 25 in two months and Kizer is a full 3 years younger than him

2. Wentz not had the two best Tackles in football (Jason Peters and Lane Johnson) but has also been surrounded by really good talent (Alshon Jeffrey, Zach Ertz, Nelson Alghor, Legarrette Blount)5 and a good defense.

I agree with you in every way

We weren't going to get give what it took to move from 2 to 1 I agree it just wasn't going to happen 

I know Wentz is 3 full years older and you know out of all people I'm not giving up on Kizer

but damn Wentz looks really good and has looked good honestly since game one of last year against us

3 minutes ago, brownie man said:

We weren't going to get give what it took to move from 2 to 1 I agree it just wasn't going to happen 

I know Wentz is 3 full years older and you know out of all people I'm not giving up on Kizer

but damn Wentz looks really good and has looked good honestly since game one of last year against us

FWIW, Goff was supposed to be a bust after last year, and he looks worth the #1 pick this year; it's just too early to tell with Kizer.

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

FWIW, Goff was supposed to be a bust after last year, and he looks worth the #1 pick this year; it's just too early to tell with Kizer.

But h has got more work to do than anyone in the NFL.

Colt McCoy looked better than him in his rookie year. 

Kizer really needed another year in college. 

4 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

But h has got more work to do than anyone in the NFL.

Colt McCoy looked better than him in his rookie year. 

Kizer really needed another year in college. 

I disagree with that

I believe personally Kizer came out when he should

He didn't need to stay in college another year Kelly's offense was never going to properly prepare him 

He needed to sit on the bench in the NFL for a year there's a difference there 

Of course I'm not giving up on Kizer again hes my guy the talent is there

But Wentz looks really good man like Watson I'm not there with him yet, but Wentz is the truth 

34 minutes ago, brownie man said:

It's okay to admit Carson Wentz is really good.

I was a Goff fan over Wentz b/c of Goff's blitz avoidance, pocket awareness, and superior accuracy pre-draft, but I have to admit that my concerns on Wentz regarding his throwing motion have been quieted due to his pocket poise.

The interesting thing that not many reactionary fans are able to process is that it's possible that Wentz can be good AND passing on him was a sound decision given the evidence/knowledge at the time.

We still have 2 picks in the 1st and 2nd round before we can really even decide how to compare players in the trade.

If we exclude 4th round selections and beyond that we got in the trade, the principle players selected are: 1. Jabrill Peppers. 2. Shon Coleman, 3. Corey Coleman, 4.Deshone Kizer, 5. Cody Kessler, 6. Houston's 1st round pick, 7. Eagles 2nd round pick.

Let's say Houston's pick is a top WR that works out say a Calvin Ridley, Courtland Sutton, or James Washington.

And the Eagles second round pick (likely at the bottom or round 2) is a starter/developmental starter type like the players selected at the end of the second round in this year's draft like Josh Jones SS Packers, JuJu Smith Schuster, Obi Melifonwu, Chidobe Awuzie.

That could leave us with 5 impact starters. But what about the QB???

In my mind, we have to throw all our money at FAs QBs like Garropolo if he's available and/or Kirk Cousins.

And spend a lot of money on playmakers for whatever QB will be under center.

Even then we won't know who exactly won the trade for at least 2 years.

But anyone that's honest with themselves has to admit that right now things don't look promising for the Brownies; however, it's not a certainty quite yet.

Our offense is a completely different animal with a QB security blanket like Alshon Jeffrey or Deandre Hopkins.

Players like that provide so much psychological relief pre-snap for a QB to know that if all else fails in the progressions or if they're are confused or under pressure that those players will always "be open."

Rookie QBs unlike any other player need these type of security blankets.

Biggest failing this offseason was not addressing the WR position beyond freaking Kenny Britt. He is no security blanket and they should have known that just by seeing how poorly Goff performed in his rookie year w/ Britt as his number 1 guy.

You know you're in trouble as an offense when your biggest security blanket is another rookie (Njoku) or a RB that doesn't run down the field routes all the time.

That to me was Sashi and co's biggest mistake.

Of course, they couldn't have predicted Corey Coleman's injury but there is such a thing as contingency planning especially if you have even the slightest notion that you may start a rookie QB.

In that case, the contingency is playmakers of all type to help him psychologically and football playmaking wise.

We missed on the Jeremy Maclin's, Jermaine Kearse, Sammy Watkins, Jordan Matthews, Eric Deckers of the world who were all available at some point to help provide Kizer some relief.

My thing is the number 1 trait any WR we draft has to have is he has to be able to catch the freaking ball. I love Ricardo Louis' effort and route running improvement but he can't catch worth a damn and therefore can't play.

Just think about the misery that could have been avoided had Ricardo caught that great Kizer throw before the half putting us in position for another 3 points or a TD.

22 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I disagree with that

I believe personally Kizer came out when he should

He didn't need to stay in college another year Kelly's offense was never going to properly prepare him 

He needed to sit on the bench in the NFL for a year there's a difference there 

Of course I'm not giving up on Kizer again hes my guy the talent is there

But Wentz looks really good man like Watson I'm not there with him yet, but Wentz is the truth 

*he needed another year of good college football I totally realize why he left. Coach ball sack. 

Hue has done the worst possible job in developing a raw rookie QB. 

Last week was the first game that had a good script for Kizer. 

the rest of the year has been Hue asking him to be a year 3+ QB.

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Our offense is a completely different animal with a QB security blanket like Alshon Jeffrey or Deandre Hopkins.

Players like that provide so much psychological relief pre-snap for a QB to know that if all else fails in the progressions or if they're are confused or under pressure that those players will always "be open."

Rookie QBs unlike any other player need these type of security blankets.

Biggest failing this offseason was not addressing the WR position beyond freaking Kenny Britt. He is no security blanket and they should have known that just by seeing how poorly Goff performed in his rookie year w/ Britt as his number 1 guy.

You know you're in trouble as an offense when your biggest security blanket is another rookie (Njoku) or a RB that doesn't run down the field routes all the time.

That to me was Sashi and co's biggest mistake.

Of course, they couldn't have predicted Corey Coleman's injury but there is such a thing as contingency planning especially if you have even the slightest notion that you may start a rookie QB.

In that case, the contingency is playmakers of all type to help him psychologically and football playmaking wise.

We missed on the Jeremy Maclin's, Jermaine Kearse, Sammy Watkins, Jordan Matthews, Eric Deckers of the world who were all available at some point to help provide Kizer some relief.

My thing is the number 1 trait any WR we draft has to have is he has to be able to catch the freaking ball. I love Ricardo Louis' effort and route running improvement but he can't catch worth a damn and therefore can't play.

Just think about the misery that could have been avoided had Ricardo caught that great Kizer throw before the half putting us in position for another 3 points or a TD.

Our offense really suffers from not having two good wide receivers. ( i really like Coleman). Or a good bell Cow running back or a QB. 

We have the weakest WR,RB,QB combo in the NFL. 

And then we do not utilise the strengths of our offense which is Duke and Njoku and DeValve. 

22 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

We have the weakest WR,RB,QB combo in the NFL. 

This is really the truest and saddest statement that explains where we are....specifically if you have a rookie QB, the other two positions need to have a star/impact player to help the QB along.

If all 3 are weak...you get exactly the results we've experienced.

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

This is really the truest and saddest statement that explains where we are....specifically if you have a rookie QB, the other two positions need to have a star/impact player to help the QB along.

If all 3 are weak...you get exactly the results we've experienced.

Our offense is flaccid because of it. 

Archived