Jaguars to hire Darrell Bevell as OC

pwny

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Who wouldn't be aggressive with Tavaris Jackson? Man, now I'm skeptical.

Ya know, had we fully committed to Joe Webb and pulled Favre in 2010 when we knew that he was done, maybe something could be salvaged. We kept on switching him from QB to receiver and back it seemed.

TJack was a lost cause though. Oh well. RIP.

• Like 1

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Most likely. It's not even like at that they were good though. They were still turnstiles for the most part.

You can dismiss it all you want, there's a reason why Bevell's offenses outside of those 3 years were never good. You saying he didn't have talent in Minnesota or Detroit? Heck, even after Lynch left he still had talent (if not more). We're talking about the same guy who STRUGGLED with how to utilize Jimmy freaking Graham in a passing offense...

He had more offenses in the top 7 than not in Seattle. He was part of the development in two elite QBs their rookie year (most of their career in Russ's case).

You can harp on average offenses with eh/mediocre talent as well. He got good production/did his thing when he had talent worth a damn (and while having an atrocious OL situation in Seattle).

In Minnesota with an old yet still good Favre he was part of their deep playoff run. His bad years? Tavaris Jackson was QB. I'm really not sure if you're expecting him to magically make chicken **** into something good but I don't think any OC miraculously gets good offenses out of a Tavaris Jackson led offense.

9 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

He had more offenses in the top 7 than not in Seattle. He was part of the development in two elite QBs their rookie year (most of their career in Russ's case).

You can harp on average offenses with eh/mediocre talent as well. He got good production/did his thing when he had talent worth a damn (and while having an atrocious OL situation in Seattle).

In Minnesota with an old yet still good Favre he was part of their deep playoff run. His bad years? Tavaris Jackson was QB. I'm really not sure if you're expecting him to magically make chicken **** into something good but I don't think any OC miraculously gets good offenses out of a Tavaris Jackson led offense.

And basically my argument is that even in those 4 years, it's not like Bevell's schemes/playcalls were winning them games. It was Russell making magic out of nothing and Marshawn making magic out of nothing. They were producing despite the playcalls, not because of them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And basically my argument is that even in those 4 years, it's not like Bevell's schemes/playcalls were winning them games. It was Russell making magic out of nothing and Marshawn making magic out of nothing. They were producing despite the playcalls, not because of them.

Yep, you're right. Not sure why they even had an OC in Seattle. Should've just told Russ to run out on the field and run around like they did Bevell's entire tenure. Would've been the better cost effective option.

You live and learn I guess.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Yep, you're right. Not sure why they even had an OC in Seattle. Should've just told Russ to run out on the field and run around like they did Bevell's entire tenure. Would've been the better cost effective option.

You live and learn I guess.

I mean I'm sorry but that's largely what Russell Wilson built his career upon doing...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I remember wanting him a couple years back, but would love some insight if anyone has any to offer.

You say that and then you discount the insight you've been offered. 
Bevell wasn't that good of an OC with the Seahawks and had a lot of help with Lynch breaking tackles and Wilson playing outside of the structure. 
Sure, he wasn't totally clueless and you can say he's average (at best) if you really want. 
But there would have been better hires to develop Lawrence for sure. 

Edited by MagicMT
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MagicMT said:

You say that and then you discount the insight you've been offered. 
Bevell wasn't that good of an OC with the Seahawks and had a lot of help with Lynch breaking tackles and Wilson playing outside of the structure. 
Sure, he wasn't totally clueless and you can say he's average if you really want. 
But there would have been better hires to develop Lawrence for sure. 

I was curious about philosophy. @CWood21got me earlier.

I'll specify next time.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I was curious about philosophy. @CWood21got me earlier.

I'll specify next time.

I though this was a good run down of his philosphy.

Bevell's offense is a wide-zone running, Walsh-style passing offense similar to what you might see under a Kyle Shanahan or Andy Reid. But it's like it's being called by a guy with no experience in the offense. Like a Doug Marrone. So it's got potential, but at times, it's too conservative and disjointed.

1 hour ago, pwny said:

I'm just curious how the notion that his scheme isn't aggressive and doesn't throw deep meshes with the fact that he averages the 6th highest deep ball rate of any coordinator in football...

Who said he doesn't throw deep? Also consider the 3 QB's he's had under his tenure were: Favre, Wilson and Stafford - all deep ball throwers. His scheme is definitely running with PA Shots, no question about that.

8 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Most likely. It's not even like at that they were good though. They were still turnstiles for the most part.

You can dismiss it all you want, there's a reason why Bevell's offenses outside of those 3 years were never good. You saying he didn't have talent in Minnesota or Detroit? Heck, even after Lynch left he still had talent (if not more). We're talking about the same guy who STRUGGLED with how to utilize Jimmy freaking Graham in a passing offense...

To be fair, in Bevell's first year in Detroit the Lions were ~top 5 in DVOA on offense before Stafford went down.  Not gunna blame Bevell for Blough and Driskell being terrible the 2nd half of the year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Who said he doesn't throw deep? Also consider the 3 QB's he's had under his tenure were: Favre, Wilson and Stafford - all deep ball throwers. His scheme is definitely running with PA Shots, no question about that.

Okay, then what’s this about him not being aggressive. If he throws deep often, and did so with deep ball passers (which Trevor absolutely will be), what exactly are the concerns with him not being aggressive enough?

This is a genuine question, not me being an ***. I genuinely would like to know why these concerns about him exist beyond “we hated him”. 

4 hours ago, pwny said:

Okay, then what’s this about him not being aggressive. If he throws deep often, and did so with deep ball passers (which Trevor absolutely will be), what exactly are the concerns with him not being aggressive enough?

This is a genuine question, not me being an ***. I genuinely would like to know why these concerns about him exist beyond “we hated him”. 

He called a run first offense, at least in Seattle.

5 hours ago, pwny said:

I don't think he's not aggressive enough, I just think his general schemes/playcalls aren't very good. I wish I was exaggerating how much of Wilson's 4-year stint with Bevell was primarily him running around for his life making plays out of nothing, but I'm truly not.

• Like 1