Per Chris Russell Kyle Smith to Leave Sooner Than Later

MKnight82

This team has absolutely no love for its fans!!! I really wish we just stopped showing up!!! I really wish we just let our stands keep looking like an away game. These people are just money hungry and be prepared for those Watson jerseys folks. We are a playoff team and now we have our guy!!! To bad he has two ACL’s already but what could go wrong there with our massive success with QB injuries the last 4 years 😂😂

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Everyone thinks the culture has changed. That may be true in the locker room. But organizationally, we've changed nothing. And once Rivera goes away, the locker room will revert back to where it was.

Why?

Because the organization hasn't changed.

What’s the proof of this? I see change all around. Brice Allen & Larry Michael Are gone along with the other FO sleaze balls, Gruden’s half*** work ethic is gone.

We may not like they Kyle Smith is gone, but what Rivera has done is brought professionals into the front office. 

Now, Snyder hasn’t changed but there’s less that can be done about that. Looking into the future I could see a day when Rivera retires and one of his assistants becomes the HC and continues the culture he developed & changed over just one year.

I see Mayhew as a possible long term answer at GM. He could be here for 15 years if he wants to be and as long as he does a better than average job like he was doing in Detroit.

55 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

This team has absolutely no love for its fans!!! I really wish we just stopped showing up!!! I really wish we just let our stands keep looking like an away game. These people are just money hungry and be prepared for those Watson jerseys folks. We are a playoff team and now we have our guy!!! To bad he has two ACL’s already but what could go wrong there with our massive success with QB injuries the last 4 years 😂😂

I don’t know what you’re trying to say in this post. Are you saying that Rivera/Snyder don’t love the fans bc you think they’ll trade for Watson? 

I don’t want to trade a kings ransom for Watson, but as long as we don’t have to give up Chase Young &/or Terry we’ll bring in an All-Pro QB which will catapult our O to a top 10 O to go with our top 5 D, that makes us Super Bowl contenders.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

I can do this too,

All McVay did was run the offense. He had never coached an entire team before.

All LaFluer did was coach QBs before being hired to be the OC elsewhere. And then he only coached the offense before becoming GB's coach.

This organization has a history of not recognizing talent in the building and then promoting them into positions so they can continue to grow. The thinking is "up or out" in NFL front offices. In WFT it's "you stay there. Then we replace you". We always think the grass is greener elsewhere. The reason it is, is because we don't water ours.

Those guys had teams calling them for interviews.  How many interviews has Kyle Smith done?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t know what you’re trying to say in this post. Are you saying that Rivera/Snyder don’t love the fans bc you think they’ll trade for Watson? 

I don’t want to trade a kings ransom for Watson, but as long as we don’t have to give up Chase Young &/or Terry we’ll bring in an All-Pro QB which will catapult our O to a top 10 O to go with our top 5 D, that makes us Super Bowl contenders.

I’m saying we have stuck by this team through the ups and downs and have ridden the draftcentric rebuild model and it’s finally getting us to a place to not just make a splash in a short window. We could keep the draft centric approach. And we can have one of the deepest youngest rosters moving forward with a cheap QB the next 5 years and keep plucking away at the draft and steadily build just like the Bills chiefs and all the models. Trading for Watson puts us close to what Tampa and the Saints are doing. The Colts and other teams going with aging pricey vets. But that’s not long term and when those QB’s leave they may be talented but they have to start all over. While Watson isn’t hurt we’re talking about a runner with multiple ACL’s. I feel like I’m the only guy here worried about multiple leg injuries when we’ve had 3 QB’s sustain serious Leg injuries in as many years.yes injuries happen but how many ACL tears do Wilson, Fields, Lance Mond and so on have? Trust me bud your always a great counter argument and you are super smart and your def right we’re in that window with Watson instantly. But I’m not thinking about 2 real shots. I’m thinking about a decade with a really really juiced up roster on both sides knowing it takes more then just a QB a edge and a stud WR because Houston had that and look at them. Yes they traded the stud WR for nothing but they couldn’t protect Watson before that and in the playoffs they stopped him. It’s just a short sighted trade. It’s a Pro Snyder move. It’s a right now move. But the move will strap this team beyond measure

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

What’s the proof of this? I see change all around. Brice Allen & Larry Michael Are gone along with the other FO sleaze balls, Gruden’s half*** work ethic is gone.

We may not like they Kyle Smith is gone, but what Rivera has done is brought professionals into the front office. 

Now, Snyder hasn’t changed but there’s less that can be done about that. Looking into the future I could see a day when Rivera retires and one of his assistants becomes the HC and continues the culture he developed & changed over just one year.

I see Mayhew as a possible long term answer at GM. He could be here for 15 years if he wants to be and as long as he does a better than average job like he was doing in Detroit.

Turtle - if you can't see that these front office moves are more of the same thing and counterproductive to actually putting a winning product on the field (long-term), then I don't know what to say. It has nothing to do with Michael, Allen, being let go. Those were the feel-good things (red button) that Snyder could do to ensure that the fans think he's turned the corner.

I'm talking about the entire place still being run incorrectly, and you're focused on the red button (as Snyder intended).

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Those guys had teams calling them for interviews.  How many interviews has Kyle Smith done?

He's about to now that he's basically let them know he's available. Hence the story of him hiring an agent to explore his options.

As for those other guys, it's immaterial how many were calling. In fact, it actually makes your argument worse if our F.O. sees an assistant has people beating down the door and they don't try to keep them.

In this case, Kyle didn't even have feelers out to the rest of the league (like most coaches do with their agents). Dude didn't even have an agent.

The point is that you can say "well so and so never did X before so we're not going to hire him." And that applies to coaches as well as F.O. personnel. You're never going to know until you actually hire the guy. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes it doesn't. But saying "well he only scouted players" (which he did a bit more than that) is like me saying "well he only coached QBs"

Kyle smith is one of the most overrated people on this team in the past 20 years. Im sorry wasn't our roster a dumpster fire before rivera came in? He's the one calling the final shots on picking players. We got terry mclaurin because Haskins told the team to look at terry when we were interviewing haskins at the combine. 

2 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

Kyle smith is one of the most overrated people on this team in the past 20 years. Im sorry wasn't our roster a dumpster fire before rivera came in? He's the one calling the final shots on picking players. We got terry mclaurin because Haskins told the team to look at terry when we were interviewing haskins at the combine. 

No our coaching staff was. That dumpster fire got him fired with a 5th string QB and made the playoffs with their 4th starting QB almost winning a playoff game so you tell me what the roster was?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mar29020 said:

Kyle smith is one of the most overrated people on this team in the past 20 years. Im sorry wasn't our roster a dumpster fire before rivera came in? He's the one calling the final shots on picking players. 

I'm sorry man. I just can't with this. 

We got terry mclaurin because Haskins told the team to look at terry when we were interviewing haskins at the combine. 

Not from what I read. He was always on our radar. It's not like us going to recruit a CB and then seeing Jason Campbell and falling in love with him at the CB's pro day.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm sorry man. I just can't with this. 

Not from what I read. He was always on our radar. It's not like us going to recruit a CB and then seeing Jason Campbell and falling in love with him at the CB's pro day.

When we could have had Rogers instead of the CB lol and the other QB lol another mishandled situation involving us. This is just case 97628639 under Snyder with Smith we’re all pretty used to it even though we hope for different it’s so sad we can logically see the moves as fans because there’s never growth. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Turtle - if you can't see that these front office moves are more of the same thing and counterproductive to actually putting a winning product on the field (long-term), then I don't know what to say. It has nothing to do with Michael, Allen, being let go. Those were the feel-good things (red button) that Snyder could do to ensure that the fans think he's turned the corner.

I'm talking about the entire place still being run incorrectly, and you're focused on the red button (as Snyder intended).

You need to explain to me how someone who had a part in just building a Super Bowl contender two years ago as being a move that isn’t about winning. And in his former job he did have a 10 win & 11 win season. We haven’t won 11 games since I was in 6th grade & you were in high school.

We can’t do anything about Snyder. His not too much older than you, I think he’s 15 years older than me. Owners only get fired if they do something really egregious & Snyder has done some messed up stuff but nothing where they league would get rid of him especially bc they all have skeletons & the leagues 2nd most well known Owner got caught getting blowy’s in massage parlors just a few years ago & they got a slap on the wrist.

Ive said it for 10 years, I expect to die in 30-40 years and Danny Snyder will still be the owner of the Washington FT. I don’t like it but We all have to deal with it, we can’t change it.

21 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

When we could have had Rogers instead of the CB lol and the other QB lol another mishandled situation involving us. This is just case 97628639 under Snyder with Smith we’re all pretty used to it even though we hope for different it’s so sad we can logically see the moves as fans because there’s never growth. 

I hate Snyder as much as everyone, but Gibbs is the reason we drafted Carlos Rogers & Jason Campbell in 05. Gibbs thought Campbell was going to be his next Doug Williams, Gibbs would’ve passed on Rodgers twice if he has the chance. 

Now McNabb & RG3 everyone knows what happened there. Snyder meddled, got Brice involved to make moves to get them. Shanahan went along bc he had too and didn’t say anything bad about the situation until after he was fired.

In 2010 Kyle Shanahan wanted to sign Mark Bulger to compete with Rex Grossman to be our starter & to Draft someone to develop.

In 2012 word was the Shanahan’s liked Ryan Tanehill if they had stayed at 6 & they still probably would’ve taken Kirk to compete with Tanehill. That would’ve been a good competition their rookie years, they probably would’ve went w/ Tanehill but arguably as rookies at least in preseason Kirk was showing a lot of potential.

Edited by turtle28

23 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

You're going to quit because we're losing a scout?

22 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

All he does is scout college players.  That's his job.

I mean, I take your point, but I have to ask: how many aspects of a franchise are more important than scouting college players? You’re kind of trivializing what is by far the most important method of acquiring players, which is by far the most critical factor in how your team performs on the field. 

As far as I’m concerned, that scouting department may very well be the best thing to happen to this franchise in a quarter century. It’s the thing that’s made me believe that we actually have a chance to compete with other teams — Snyder is always gonna Snyder, but even he can’t really get in the way of a team stocked and re-stocked with young talent year after year.

Having a meaningful advantage in talent acquisition is the way — aside from landing an elite franchise QB — to sustain long-term success. Even getting a top-end coach probably doesn’t have the same impact, in my opinion. As they say, it’s not so much about the Xs and Os as it is the Jimmys and Joes. Even Bill Belichick, for my money the best coach of all time, couldn’t take a depleted roster to a successful season this year. Based on how they’ve drafted since McCloughan left, they appear to have hit on a pretty successful formula for identifying excellent and underappreciated young talent. That’s so valuable. 

But now, they’ve built the franchise around this triumvirate of very experienced guys who, over their respective decades of track record, have never managed any sustained success. They’ve had good seasons here and there, but overall these guys are the 3 Kings of 7-9. Maybe Smith and this scouting department have just gotten lucky and would have regressed to the mean in coming years — but at least there’s a chance based on their track record that they’re an elite group. As @naptownskinsfan said in another thread, where’s the upside in this trio we have now? We know who they are, and we know what they’re capable of. 

I’m never going to quit being a fan — I’m gonna go down with this particular ship, no matter how deep it sinks. But I’m having a hard time seeing how this wouldn’t at the very least be significantly disappointing news to knowledgeable fans.

• Like 7