Total Control GM Mock Draft Suggestions / Feedback

ny92mike

I think the number of post-June 1 cuts should follow the NFL limit of 2. For the Saints in particular or cap-strapped teams generally, we could simply give them more restructures. 

The TC limit on restructures could be something like "as many as needed to become cap-compliant plus 2 more" (or it could be as many as needed to be cap compliant plus 10 mil or something like that). 

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't had the time to do anything with this mock as of yet.  Still planning on running it though.

If any of you get a chance, take a look at this previous workbook and let me know what we need to do with the extensions.  Last year, the formulas didn't work out making it difficult to free up cap space.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1riBpbRPuC7HwN0IV309K5JyNZgJZOEZN_A3IjAcV2Iw/edit#gid=452152152

It's been awhile since I've looked at the formulas but I want to say the issue was the 30% subsequent rule.  If that is the case then I think we could fix it by increasing that percentage from 30 to something in the neighborhood of 60% for the first year and then back to 30% for the following years.  Looking at it, it was set up the first to second year of contract at 40%.  I've unhide some data for those interested in taking a look at it for a solution.  Set the second extension at 60%, if you want to tinker with the numbers to see if this resolves the issue.

Feel free to look over the workbook to see if any other changes are needed.

• Like 1

If I recall, the issue with extensions last year was that everyone wanted the franchise (or maybe it was the transition) number as their AAY.  So it didn't make sense to extend players other than the top guys. As the Bengals I extended DJ Reader because his salary was comparable to the tag numbers but couldn't do something similar with Tyler Boyd because his wasn't.

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

If I recall, the issue with extensions last year was that everyone wanted the franchise (or maybe it was the transition) number as their AAY.  So it didn't make sense to extend players other than the top guys. As the Bengals I extended DJ Reader because his salary was comparable to the tag numbers but couldn't do something similar with Tyler Boyd because his wasn't.

I want to say I've been doing it that way for several years.  I understand that it isn't just the top players that are extended and that we probably should find a pathway.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/tyler-boyd-19004/

I'd have to go back and look at the tag values to compare how close or far away his irl contract extension was compared to the tag values.  When I get a minute I'll take a look or if you could quickly access.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but because the system I'm using to determine their monetary value isn't 100% accurate, so to avoid argument the tag values are used.  I'm happy to revisit on how we might make some adjustments to these values, if you have any solutions please let me know your thoughts.

I understand that we want to keep it real but because this is just a single season mock, most of the extensions are designed to free up cap rather than being able to show the team making a strategic move to show a potential talent being retained for future years.

From what I recall, the issue or at least one of the issues was that teams couldn't get the extension done because the subsequent rule failed.  I think this was due to a formula error because I don't recall this being an issue in past mocks, but I need to verify this.

I'll try to get a test book created for testing late tonight.

Thanks

• Like 2

Instead of using a league wide positional average, why not base it on the player's calculated value? Maybe they have to be paid 120% or something to give up their right to free agency. But extending guys like Jefferson, Chase, or Lamb should cost a lot. Extending Tyler Boyd shouldn't. 

21 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Instead of using a league wide positional average, why not base it on the player's calculated value? Maybe they have to be paid 120% or something to give up their right to free agency. But extending guys like Jefferson, Chase, or Lamb should cost a lot. Extending Tyler Boyd shouldn't. 

Where are you pulling this info?  I looked at OTC calculated value and Boyd's value was less than a million.  

https://overthecap.com/valuation

Valuing Boyd at 705K (less than veteran minimum) is absurd and shows a hole in their methodology. He's past his prime but still a reliable receiver.

Spotrac has his value at 8.7 mil per year, down from his current contract of 10.75. That seems a much better view of what the market holds for Tyler. Several teams will compete for his services. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/tyler-boyd-19004/market-value/

56 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Valuing Boyd at 705K (less than veteran minimum) is absurd and shows a hole in their methodology. He's past his prime but still a reliable receiver.

Spotrac has his value at 8.7 mil per year, down from his current contract of 10.75. That seems a much better view of what the market holds for Tyler. Several teams will compete for his services. 

I would agree, and if there is a position that is overpaid it is WR

43 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Agreed.  The valuation of OTC was very surprising to me as well.  Spotrac appears to be the better source.  

Can you find a link that list these values out similar to how OTC is doing it with all of them listed?  I couldn't find that.

Thanks

10 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Agreed.  The valuation of OTC was very surprising to me as well.  Spotrac appears to be the better source.  

Can you find a link that list these values out similar to how OTC is doing it with all of them listed?  I couldn't find that.

Thanks

IIRC Spotrac doesn't do market values on every player.  (Just prominent ones... but I have been wrong before.)

Yeah, Spotrac does the most prominent players and rolls new ones out as time goes by. But they don't cover everyone. Last year they had CBs Eli Apple and Tre Flowers valued at 11 mil each. Both got a fraction of that.

Anyway, TCMD has calculated AAVs for everyone, so we could just bump them up a %, such as 20 or 30%. That compensates the player for giving up free agency to sign early. We could just require contracts to be above a certain level, maybe 5 mil AAV, so late round draft picks who outperform their contracts don't get locked in too cheaply. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

I'm working on the dollar averages based on their stats.  I'll post a link when I get it ready.  Will probably want to make a few changes but lets see where it lands.

I think no matter what way we try and do it, there will be outliers, and I am intrigued to see how this turns out. We might just need to scrub case by case for some injuries and make adjustments ahead of time. 

• Like 2