Total Control GM Mock Draft Suggestions / Feedback

ny92mike

24 minutes ago, Trojan said:

It's very well done Mike.

Alternative bids would be fun, but also dramatically change strategies.

One thing that might work is a couple day tamper period where everyone gets a list of UFA, then get's to tag them "Teams interested" like just a basic anonymous tally and that could boost players contract demands. These demands might get kinda dumb, but eventually would drop with the decreases.

Get me some detailed info with some examples and a time line on how this would work.  

3 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Get me some detailed info with some examples and a time line on how this would work.  

FA Bid #

Bid Type

UFA

Position in Drop Down List

ALL

Select Player from drop down list

Is your team interested

Y/N

players with interest get an APY demand increase, maybe 500k per interested team?

If you don't tag as interested it's not like you can't bid on them. It's just to drive up contract demands and make a pre-market correction. Maybe 10 interested tags per team?

Would need to do test runs with volunteers to see if it made impact or not.

2 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I think it went pretty well overall. 

For the free agent bidding, in years past we could guarantee salary. Since it's only a 1 year mock that starts anew each year I agree that taking the guarantees out is a good idea. But signing bonus should probably be beefed up. For earlier rounds and higher priced players, they should be asking for more SB in my opinion. That would also keep some of the better players on the market longer while the cap strapped teams can do their bargain shopping. 

Agree.  The APY value set up screwed up so much.  After this mock is over I'll do another formula for these player demands to see if we can't nail this down.  If so, I won't lose it again. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

FA Bid #

Bid Type

UFA

Position in Drop Down List

ALL

Select Player from drop down list

Is your team interested

Y/N

players with interest get an APY demand increase, maybe 500k per interested team?

If you don't tag as interested it's not like you can't bid on them. It's just to drive up contract demands and make a pre-market correction. Maybe 10 interested tags per team?

Would need to do test runs with volunteers to see if it made impact or not.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, if you state that you're team is interested  in the player it increases the player demands value by 500k?

I'm still not grasping the concept of this feature or what it's intended to do.  I've got to be missing something.  If you're bidding on the player it is showing interest.

When you first posted this feature I thought it was designed to unhide the interested team name rather than just showing the number of teams interested, which I need to fix that formula as well, because that didn't work as intended.

3 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

So if I'm understanding this correctly, if you state that you're team is interested  in the player it increases the player demands value by 500k?

I'm still not grasping the concept of this feature or what it's intended to do.  I've got to be missing something.  If you're bidding on the player it is showing interest.

When you first posted this feature I thought it was designed to unhide the interested team name rather than just showing the number of teams interested, which I need to fix that formula as well, because that didn't work as intended.

It would be a tamper period before FA began, using the list of UFA.
The point of driving up the cost is so they don't sign for minimum amounts before you have a shot to compete in rounds 2/3.

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

It would be a tamper period before FA began, using the list of UFA.
The point of driving up the cost is so they don't sign for minimum amounts before you have a shot to compete in rounds 2/3.

Okay, I guess I need to educate myself on the tampering period.  I think I understand where you're going with this though.

I'm thinking we could set up this up in the FA workbook rather than having it in the bidding sheet, if it doesn't have anything to do with the contract structure. 

I'd love to set it up so that all GM's are required to provide their email address.  I wouldn't share it or display it.  If we could get this worked out it would be very beneficial.

• Just a few of the benefits of email address
    • Could share private workbooks with war room members in view only if just providing the link or if you want them to have editing rights you would need to get their email address.
    • Email could be sent automatically when team is OTC.
    • If using Gmail address the chat feature is available.  It's not nearly as popular as discord but for just using it to discuss game planning with war room it
    • Submitting forms you can receive a receipt and it guarantees that you made the form entry.

Very well done yet again Mike.

Team Draft board would be a nice addition and I'm sure we had one in a previous TCMD but Iay be mistaken.

I think the APY's were a little high this year but I don't think it made much difference to free agency but made it harder when it came to extensions.

Count me in for next season and who knows...maybe I can beat forge to the 9ers...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DTMW78 said:

Very well done yet again Mike.

Team Draft board would be a nice addition and I'm sure we had one in a previous TCMD but Iay be mistaken.

I think the APY's were a little high this year but I don't think it made much difference to free agency but made it harder when it came to extensions.

Count me in for next season and who knows...maybe I can beat forge to the 9ers...

If I could get some help with keeping things updated, It's possible I could run two of these back to back or at the same time.  That said, someone would have to manage one while I did another one because my focus for next year is the SIM.

• 3 months later...
On 6/19/2023 at 11:05 AM, ny92mike said:

Anyone interested in working with me on getting the next tcmd lined out for next year as well as building the sim?

I know it's really early to be tossing this out but this time of year has me bored.

I can help out. Not sure how I can help but willing to help 

Finally getting healthy enough to get back into working on tcmd again.

Looking at some of the feedback here, so if you had any suggestions for the next mock I'll be looking into it as I prepare to start working on the next build.

1. Adding a draft board into each team workbook.
    1. Previous mocks housed this so adding it into this next build shouldn't be an issue.
    2. This would allow GM's to use this as a big board if they aren't around to make their pick.
  2. @Trojan you mentioned including a tampering period.  
    1. I'll look into example info that you provided so that we can discuss it in more detail.
  3. Free Agent Bid for Plan B
    1. Please provide me with any feedback or suggestions you have.
      1. The general concept is if you are outbid on your primary target (fa bid slot one) in FA that a different bid slot is used in the hopes of landing a different player at the same position.  This could also be used if you wanted to bid on two players of the same position and you win both, you could delete one of them.
        1. Plan B bid location options
          1.  Bid slot #4 (UFA/Resign)
          2. Bid slot #5 (fixed resign)
          3. Reserve Bid slot #1
        2. My pick for where to house plan B would be for option 1 or 2 for the following reasons.
          1. Easy to build it within same page.
          2. Requires a bit more game planning.
  4. Extensions and Restructures
    1. Need to figure out an easier way to update these transactions. 
    2. I think looking into IRL data pertaining to these types of transactions would help so if one of you guys @downundermike @Freebirdsrams or someone else could look into the number of extensions/ restructures as well as contract details during the off season would be a huge help.  This might help us create a better system.  Here are some links from Spotrac, may want to use 2022 and previous yearly data since this season hasn't played out yet.  Plug the data into a spreadsheet.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/2023/signed-extension/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/2023/restructure/

Additional things that need to get fixed.

1. Contract structure for extensions/restructures
    1. I overlooked some things with this last build that made it very difficult to extend a players contact.  Past mocks this wasn't an issue just things that got overlooked in the last build.
  2. Keep the official and unofficial changes separate, wasn't a major issue but it created some issues with me tracking data.
  3. Fix the issues we had with FA bidding limits.  This was all formula errors that I'll take my time with next mock to get it right.
  4. I'd also like to see if I could run more than one of these a season as well as include the sim at the tail end of these mocks.
  5. See if I can do a better job with awards at the end of the mock.  Last year it just ended without any discussion.  Partly due to some health issues. 

In the future I won't tag the entire list of GM's.  If you want to be included in future tags let me know otherwise I'll see you guys next year.

Team GM Tags

Arizona Cardinals - @LuckyNumber11
Atlanta Falcons - @ovfd55
Baltimore Ravens - @Justone2
Buffalo Bills -
@downundermike & @Iggles25
Carolina Panthers - @MikeT14
Chicago Bears - @squire12
Cincinnati Bengals - @sparky151
Cleveland Browns - @cortes02
Dallas Cowboys - 
@eaglesfan0075