Looking at a projected 2021 salary cap of $175M-$185M is so depressing...

FAH1223

I still have hope the NFL steps in and pushes the cap up to 190-195M. The NFLPA will want it as does probably 2/3rds of the league. With that said:

No brainer moves-

Cut-Cut Kirksey to save 5.6M

Extend DA/Z to help on the cap. This could easily save 15M on the cap next year if done right.

Maybe moves-

Cut- Preston (save 8M for a third rusher)... not a bad contract but not great

Cut- Dean- Only 3M save. He's alright for a 3rd run stuffing DL, very replacement level though

Cut Mason- 2.5M savings on a kicker. Don't want to but possible

Resign logic (all depending on the cap)-

1. King- if he is cheap (1year 4M) I'd bring him back. I don't love him, but it could be worse at corner (see 2015-2017). 

2. A Jones- I hate to say it, I'm out on him. I love the guy, but its a bad investment at RB especially since he probably gets like 8M

3. J Will- I think on a reasonable backup deal I'd bring him back (like 2y-6M)

4. Linsely- Love him, but I'd avoid him. He'll be 30. Interior OL fall off a cliff at 31-32 (Sitton/Lang both retired at 32). Wish him well and take the comp pick. You can roll with Runyon/Patrick/Jenkins inside.

5. Taylor- Coming off an injury he'll be cheap. I'd bring him back for 2M for depth.

Dream signings-

JJ Watt on a retirement contract (also wouldn't effect comp picks since he'll be cut)

Random vet slot corner that doesn't suck

Draft Priorities- 

-Nickle CB- Sully isn't good enough

-Another pass rushing DL (assuming we don't get Watt)

-Slot WR that makes easy offense (Waddle/Moore(s))

-Definitely will take a RB at some point in the top 5 rounds (If Jones/Williams go, I have no problem going Etienne R1 if he falls considering AR has 1-2 years left)

-OL- Will need depth to develop again.

17 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The cap isn't going to go down. It will be a flat cap. Getting under the cap isn't going to be that hard. Veterans aren't going to turn down upfront money. Restructure are easy. 

You can say this a thousand times and people will continue to ignore it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, squire12 said:

If there is a trade option for Preston Smith, getting a 2nd or 3rd back (even a later round pick might be an option for an EDGE rusher at $8M).  That would add another $8M in cap space gained.  

Put the pipe down.  Nobody is giving up a Day 2 pick for an EDGE who is a potential cap casualty.

20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Seems very unlikely we're going to draft a midget slot receiver. Adams plays that role when we want the arrow/slant stuff. MVS plays the role when we're trying to go vertically. Lazard plays the role when we need to dig out a safety. It's covered.

Amon Ra St. Brown seems like a good potential fit, perhaps?

Edited by Striker

18 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The cap isn't going to go down. It will be a flat cap. Getting under the cap isn't going to be that hard. Veterans aren't going to turn down upfront money. Restructure are easy. 

Agreed.  I really don't see where these predictions of $175M are coming from.  Both the NBA (along with NBAPA) and NHL (along with the NHLPA) both agreed to borrow from future years.  Why wouldn't the NFL and NFLPA?  It literally benefits nobody by having the salary cap dip that far.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

cutting preston smith seems like a no-brainer to me.  Even in a new scheme, I'm not really sure where he would play over Gary.  Either trade gary or cut smith.

At the end of the day, you've got to replace his snaps.  He played 814 snaps last year, which accounted for just under 79.3% of the total defensive snaps.  Rashan Gary played in 456 snaps, which is just under 44.5% of the defensive snaps.  IF you assume that Rashan Gary takes the rest of Preston Smith's snaps, you still have to replace the snaps that Rashan Gary gave you.  Are you comfortable with Jonathan Garvin or Randy Ramsey giving you those kind of snaps?  If not, you're basically saying you're going to draft one either Day 1 or Day 2 that will provide that.  Plus, you only save $8M which is closer to $7.3M when you factor in that you have to pay someone at least a minimum salary player.  LIS, I think the best deal for both sides is some sort of extension that extends his deal beyond the last two years left and lowers his cap hit this year.

6 hours ago, squire12 said:

Per game stats.  Min traded Ngakoue to BAL for a 3rd round pick as a pending FA and will get a contract probably above what Preston Smith has

Tackles   Fumbles Def Interceptions
Rk Player From To Solo Ast QBHits TFL Sk FF FR Yds TD Int Yds TD
1 Yannick Ngakoue 2016 2020 1.6 0.2     0.6 0.2 0.0 0.8 0.0 0.0 0.4 0.0
2 Preston Smith 2015 2020 1.8 1.0     0.4 0.1 0.0 0.3 0.0 0.1

Yannick Ngakoue has averaged 9.4 sacks over the last 4 seasons, is only 25 years old, and cost the Vikings/Ravens a combined $12M (I believe).  Preston Smith averaged 7 sacks over the last 4 seasons, will be 29 years old, and a team is paying him $12M.  It's not even really a comparison tbh.  Best case scenario, a team is willing to cough up a Day 3 pick for him and even then that seems unlikely.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

You can say this a thousand times and people will continue to ignore it.

Unfortunately, people think the talking heads of Twitter know everything.  I actually really like what Ken Ingalls does with regards to his Packers' cap breakdown, but he would admit that the $175M is a pessimistic projection.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

At the end of the day, you've got to replace his snaps.  He played 814 snaps last year, which accounted for just under 79.3% of the total defensive snaps.  Rashan Gary played in 456 snaps, which is just under 44.5% of the defensive snaps.  IF you assume that Rashan Gary takes the rest of Preston Smith's snaps, you still have to replace the snaps that Rashan Gary gave you.  Are you comfortable with Jonathan Garvin or Randy Ramsey giving you those kind of snaps?  If not, you're basically saying you're going to draft one either Day 1 or Day 2 that will provide that.  Plus, you only save $8M which is closer to $7.3M when you factor in that you have to pay someone at least a minimum salary player.  LIS, I think the best deal for both sides is some sort of extension that extends his deal beyond the last two years left and lowers his cap hit this year.

Considering we want to be a strong D team he's worth keeping with those snaps. They will drop and this could be his last year I would not extend him though. Leave him where he's at he gets another year and cut after next year. We'll see where we draft edge this year and that will tell the tale.

6 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Considering we want to be a strong D team he's worth keeping with those snaps. They will drop and this could be his last year I would not extend him though. Leave him where he's at he gets another year and cut after next year. We'll see where we draft edge this year and that will tell the tale.

I think ultimately it depends on where that salary cap falls.  IF it's close (or the same) as this most recent season, he's likely back.  If it's anywhere near the $175M that some are projecting, he's a pretty large cap casualty.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

yes.  and a 3rd/4th round pick.

Preston smith isn't bringing value to his contract.

I honestly don't understand what makes you think Garvin or Ramsey are capable of producing.  They played a combined 160 snaps this year and had a combined 0 TFL, 0 QB hits, and 0 sacks.  Garvin was a late round flier on an athletic EDGE.  Still don't know what Ramsey is, but he's probably nothing more than camp fodder.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think ultimately it depends on where that salary cap falls.  IF it's close (or the same) as this most recent season, he's likely back.  If it's anywhere near the $175M that some are projecting, he's a pretty large cap casualty.

Totally agree Cwood that would be my take as well. I just don't think we kick the can too far down the road. Plus GB does pride itself on allowing guys to make their contracts right or wrong I think it's a strong selling feature or has been in the past. TT did not cut allot of guys due to cap, Gute may be that guy but I still think it seems like something we do is stay true to contracts. It's something you can offer FA's when we are trying to bring them in.