Packers (Unofficially?) Promote Maurice Drayton to ST Coordinator

deltarich87

13 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

Saw a post on reddit today (last night?) that attributed the miss to the angle of the ball placement.  Not the laces.  The angle.  It was allegedly off from Crosby's preferred (based on prior years' success) angle by about 20 degrees.

I don't know if this is true, but right now, I feel Crosby has more benefit of the doubt on the field goals than the long-snapper or holder, neither of whom were part of the main unit during training camp.

Can't say as though I've analyzed the degrees to which the ball is held.

However, I have no doubt that it affects how Crosby kicks.

It isn't like he's forgotten how to kick a football.  Something must be messed up somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Smidgeon said:

Saw a post on reddit today (last night?) that attributed the miss to the angle of the ball placement.  Not the laces.  The angle.  It was allegedly off from Crosby's preferred (based on prior years' success) angle by about 20 degrees.

I don't know if this is true, but right now, I feel Crosby has more benefit of the doubt on the field goals than the long-snapper or holder, neither of whom were part of the main unit during training camp.

I prefer a kicker who can make kicks even when everything else isn't absolutely perfect. 

• Like 2

On 11/22/2021 at 12:25 PM, Smidgeon said:

Well if they keep missing the short ones, at some point they need to tell the holder just to stand it up straight and tell Crosby work on it from that angle on the short ones. It probably will take some of Crosby's distance off, but again, for the shorter ones...

Basically have two different kicks... Pat McAfee has already talked about how there are three distinct different kicking jobs, Punts, FGs and Kick offs, which he says aren't alike... well, make the short FGs more like a short kick off for the holder if he struggles with the angle bit.

It's not preferred, but whatever make it go through the most often.

That, or just go for it more often on 4th downs...

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I’m all for it but The issue with canning him is who replaces him? His assistants clearly suck too

Agree.  Special teams is awful, and it’s not all Drayton’s fault.  Obviously he still needs to be replaced with a competent ST’s professional, but as you said, with who at this point?

Special teams needs an identity that’s anything other than total suck.  Problem is, it’s hard for some of these ST’s dudes to give more than two sh1ts to the “identity” issue, when they’re more concerned with their primary role on the team.  Half the dudes on ST’s are putting in substantial time on either offense or defense, and they just seem out of place or altogether disinterested out there on ST’s.

10 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

This was worse. That was just kicking really right?

Yeah, this was meltdown in so many phases. We didn’t kick any fg, so who knows if that would have also been a dumpster fire. Supposedly that unit was looking better after the bye and the XPs looked clean.

I wouldn’t have let the ST guys take a bye, drills all week long til you show you can get it. Coffee is for closers. 

Edited by Refugee