House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16

Acgott

1 hour ago, Blackstar12 said:

Guess watching season 2 can wait a bit longer lol.

If you watch any episodes, watch Rook's Rest (I think that's ep 5 or 6?), and then watch episode 8. Maybe episode 1 to kind of introduce you to this season.

All of the other episodes in this season are completely worthless and a waste of time.

• Like 1

Fans (including myself) would probably be more forgiving of the finale if the wait time between seasons wasn't unnecessarily long.  

GOT had a new season every year until Season 8.  The first 7 seasons aired within 6 years of each other and all but S7 were 10 episodes.  We might get 3 seasons in 6 years with this show and odds are S3 won't be 10 episodes either.

It really is a joke.  We wait longer for seasons and get less content when they do come.  And I get it, sometimes it really does take 2 years to get a show ready.  I'm not saying you need to pound seasons out, writing be damned.  But the writing for this season wasn't very good nor did they give us more to sink our teeth into.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Fans (including myself) would probably be more forgiving of the finale if the wait time between seasons wasn't unnecessarily long.  

GOT had a new season every year until Season 8.  The first 7 seasons aired within 6 years of each other and all but S7 were 10 episodes.  We might get 3 seasons in 6 years with this show and odds are S3 won't be 10 episodes either.

It really is a joke.  We wait longer for seasons and get less content when they do come.  And I get it, sometimes it really does take 2 years to get a show ready.  I'm not saying you need to pound seasons out, writing be damned.  But the writing for this season wasn't very good nor did they give us more to sink our teeth into.

Is it streaming that made this a thing? Because this might actually be my least favorite thing that's been normalized by streaming overtaking cable. I really don't look forward to future seasons of TV shows anymore, because until like a month or two before release it feels like there's no way to know when it's actually going to come out. And it's not even like it's particular types of shows, because it isn't even consistent within single shows. Stranger things has had gaps of 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, and now at least 2 years, between seasons. Umbrella Academy took a little over a year for a 10 episode season 2, and will end up taking 2+ years for a 6 episode season 4. And it's not just like, filming, because Arcane season 2 will have taken 3 years to come out, and something like Harley Quinn, which isn't even particularly high quality animation, has ranged from 6 months to 2+ years for gaps in between seasons. If it's just like, CGI and such, I would honestly take a dip in visual quality for reliable release schedules, but I don't even really think it's that.

And I would be more tolerable of it if it was all high quality, but waiting 2 or 3 years to have it not even be particularly great just winds up feeling so brutal. So at this point, I just like forget that TV shows exist until there's an announced release date, and then let myself get excited lol.

• Like 1

I wonder if Rhaenyra is being lured in to kings landing as a trap, since allicent just cashing in, offing a son, and leaving is a departure from what she’s always shown before 

Yeah this season very much needed those extra 2 episodes, this was a very good episode 8 and honestly is probably the best episode of the season. I'm guessing it's a budget issue with the Warner Bros/Time Merger and they agreed a to reduced episode count in favor of a smaller/reduced budget. 

Pacing could've used some work but overall this was way better than the weird pacing of S7-S8. 

2 hours ago, Xmad said:

Yeah this season very much needed those extra 2 episodes, this was a very good episode 8 and honestly is probably the best episode of the season. I'm guessing it's a budget issue with the Warner Bros/Time Merger and they agreed a to reduced episode count in favor of a smaller/reduced budget. 

Pacing could've used some work but overall this was way better than the weird pacing of S7-S8. 

This is the one show they shouldn't have cut. This is their flagship IP for television (until maybe Harry Potter), banking on this doing well to keep momentum going for their other spinoffs.

Looking back at updates over the last couple of years, it's clear the merger and higher ups did cut this season down to save money. The Battle of the Gullet got pushed to next season because of this.

3 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

So much to get through in 2 seasons. I think a lot is going to happen off screen/brushed past, which is disappointing.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

This is the one show they shouldn't have cut. This is their flagship IP for television (until maybe Harry Potter), banking on this doing well to keep momentum going for their other spinoffs.

Looking back at updates over the last couple of years, it's clear the merger and higher ups did cut this season down to save money. The Battle of the Gullet got pushed to next season because of this.

So much to get through in 2 seasons. I think a lot is going to happen off screen/brushed past, which is disappointing.

It's also probably their most expensive by a country mile. Dragons ain't cheap. Definitely think it should've been given a bigger budget but we all know how the current executive staff of most companies think cheaper/=/better for stock price.

17 minutes ago, Xmad said:

It's also probably their most expensive by a country mile. Dragons ain't cheap. Definitely think it should've been given a bigger budget but we all know how the current executive staff of most companies think cheaper/=/better for stock price.

I get it, it was the easiest one in a vacuum because of the budget like you said. But if they taint this property, they lose so much value moving forward.

Zaslav is a cutting machine, so I'm not surprised. Just think this was a bad choice even with the short-term money savings.

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I get it, it was the easiest one in a vacuum because of the budget like you said. But if they taint this property, they lose so much value moving forward.

Zaslav is a cutting machine, so I'm not surprised. Just think this was a bad choice even with the short-term money savings.

WB don't care, they're saddled with so much debt they might as well not exist after like 3 mergers that left them off worse than the last one. 

What a flaccid finale.  That was a penultimate episode, not a finale.  This entire season was almost pointless.  It slightly moved the chess pieces around the board while being mostly non-compelling and at times glaringly stupid. 

The good news is, without being too spoilery, is that they are capping this at 4 seasons, and there is plenty left to get through. 

Hopefully, they wise up and give us two ten episode seasons.  They actually need to dial back the episode run times back into that 50-55 minute range which will make it easier to get to 10 and for gods sake, get some better writers.

• Like 1