What are you thinking about?

pwny

Drove to Kansas City (12 hours) on Thursday. Left from there Sunday and headed toward Pennsylvania (12.5 hours) to drop off my dog to pick up some titles for 2 months. Made it in Monday, spent some time with family an hour away in Maryland. Leaving today to head back home, going to stop in Jackson, TN (10.5 hours) for the night and then make the rest of the trek back home Thursday (another 10.5 hours). 

I'm ready to be off the road 😅

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, D82 said:

Drove to Kansas City (12 hours) on Thursday. Left from there Sunday and headed toward Pennsylvania (12.5 hours) to drop off my dog to pick up some titles for 2 months. Made it in Monday, spent some time with family an hour away in Maryland. Leaving today to head back home, going to stop in Jackson, TN (10.5 hours) for the night and then make the rest of the trek back home Thursday (another 10.5 hours). 

Were you solo? Did you do audiobooks/podcasts for that? Or just flipping through the radio/XM?

18 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Were you solo? Did you do audiobooks/podcasts for that? Or just flipping through the radio/XM?

It was just me, hubby and the kids stayed home since he had to work and they’re in camp. 

Mainly just audiobooks. Knocking out some Stephen King and other random horror novels. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D82 said:

It was just me, hubby and the kids stayed home since he had to work and they’re in camp. 

Mainly just audiobooks. Knocking out some Stephen King and other random horror novels. 

Nice, which ones did you do? 

On 6/14/2023 at 7:50 AM, MikeT14 said:

What about Uncles? Specifically named Sam... 

Well, there’s that too, but this was a definite serious thought.  My girlfriend was financially abused for a long time by her mother, as well as emotionally, but when I really read into this that statement struck me.  I help manage a company of over 300 employees.  30 of them have been financially abused by their parent according to that statistic.  Whether or not it is as bad as my girlfriend, or maybe it was something they don’t know about (and will never find out about) like opening a credit card to make ends meet and it was paid off……..it’s really crazy what parents can do in a child’s name.  

My girlfriend has to maintain constant vigilance over her accounts until her mother passes away at this point, because she knows all of the information to get into things.  We’ve talked about whether or not to go to Social Security and have her information changed, but you have to have a police report, which she is still reluctant to do.  So we have everything locked, and we keep an eye on things at least once a week through one of the monitoring agencies.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Well, there’s that too, but this was a definite serious thought.  My girlfriend was financially abused for a long time by her mother, as well as emotionally, but when I really read into this that statement struck me.  I help manage a company of over 300 employees.  30 of them have been financially abused by their parent according to that statistic.  Whether or not it is as bad as my girlfriend, or maybe it was something they don’t know about (and will never find out about) like opening a credit card to make ends meet and it was paid off……..it’s really crazy what parents can do in a child’s name.  

My girlfriend has to maintain constant vigilance over her accounts until her mother passes away at this point, because she knows all of the information to get into things.  We’ve talked about whether or not to go to Social Security and have her information changed, but you have to have a police report, which she is still reluctant to do.  So we have everything locked, and we keep an eye on things at least once a week through one of the monitoring agencies.  

I empathize very much with you and your girlfriend. People comparing it to taxes have no idea how completely and thoroughly powerless it can feel when someone who knows everything about you, your specific weaknesses (that they created, just as an eff you cherry on top), and has a lifetime of practice of emotional manipulation wants to make you miserable.

At every level, the system assumes that parents act on their children's best interest, so it doesn't stop them if their behavior is suspicious. Judges are incredible hesitant to give restraining orders, people hand out personal information they wouldn't normally, and the only safeguards the system has are the security info they have on file. It's a very defenseless feeling.

The fact that she's got your support probably means more to her than you know. Keep doing what you're doing, but if you see an opening, gently nudge her towards a police report. My situation wasn't financial, it was stalking, but the second I got the police involved, suddenly their reputations were on the line and I didn't hear a peep. The calls from spam numbers and voice-disguised messages, the mail with no return address, the rumors of me falling off the wagon, it all stopped literally overnight. I wish I did it years earlier.

The brutal truth is the reason your girlfriend's mom is okay stealing from her is because she doesn't believe your girlfriend is strong enough to go to the police. She knows 100% what right and wrong is, and what the word 'no' means, she simply doesn't respect the person saying it.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 4

On 6/14/2023 at 7:12 AM, D82 said:

Hope you got some Joe's KC BBQ. It literally KC's only redeeming quality.

23 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

Hope you got some Joe's KC BBQ. It literally KC's only redeeming quality.

I didn't really get to explore too much which kinda bummed me out. It was a busy weekend with the shows, and by the time I got back to the hotel afterward each day I was beat. 

• Like 2

Soda prices have gotten so out of hand that I bought off brand for the first time in my adult life and I'm not even a father. Our local store had a "deal" on name brand that was buy three 12 packs and save $3 bucks. Total cost would've been $24 even after the "savings." So I bought the store brand zero sugar options instead. Got 4 12 packs for $12. Just absolutely asinine how expensive groceries are getting. 

13 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Soda prices have gotten so out of hand that I bought off brand for the first time in my adult life and I'm not even a father. Our local store had a "deal" on name brand that was buy three 12 packs and save $3 bucks. Total cost would've been $24 even after the "savings." So I bought the store brand zero sugar options instead. Got 4 12 packs for $12. Just absolutely asinine how expensive groceries are getting. 

I bought a 12pack of Cherry Coke on sale from 8.99 to 7.99. Last time I bought had been a couple years I guess and it was a 3-12packs for $9 sale.

Weve been out of touch with inflation due to bartering and bulk buying. For example we have a half hog and half a cow in freezers. I see or someone tells me meat prices. Its staggering, Im into the half cow for well under a dollar a pound. I cant grasp how people look at $20 TBones in the store and think, "I gotta grill a pack of them for the fam."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I bought a 12pack of Cherry Coke on sale from 8.99 to 7.99. Last time I bought had been a couple years I guess and it was a 3-12packs for $9 sale.

Weve been out of touch with inflation due to bartering and bulk buying. For example we have a half hog and half a cow in freezers. I see or someone tells me meat prices. Its staggering, Im into the half cow for well under a dollar a pound. I cant grasp how people look at $20 TBones in the store and think, "I gotta grill a pack of them for the fam."

I'm about to go on a chicken and rice/vegetables diet for the foreseeable future here shortly and I'm not liking the prices of even the ****tier chicken quality lol.