What are you thinking about?

pwny

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It's not even authentic. You're looking at the Titanic through a monitor...lol

Oh well. Seems like they had a quick and easy death since the sub is likely to have imploded.

It took me a few times too, but the joke is that they sank deep in the ocean, much like the titanic.  Hence the authentic experience.

4 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Have they said what depth they think they were at when it imploded?

Don't think it matters practically.

The sub is 22x9.2x8.3 ft, so assuming it's a rectangle because I'm lazy, there's 920 sq. ft. or 85 sq. m. of surface area for the water to exert pressure.

Ocean pressure is calculated as (Depth in Meters)*10,100 Pascals + 101,000 Pascals (to correct for atmospheric pressure), but that cancels out because we need the difference and the sub maintains atmospheric pressure.

Assuming the pressure breakage is instant, the amount of kinetic energy = (pressure differential)*area.

At 1000 feet, that's 260,000,000 Joules.

For comparison, one gram of TNT uses 4,184 Joules. So that's something like 60 kg of TNT going off inside a hotdog car sized contraption. A standard hand grenade contains 60 grams of TNT, so somewhere on the order of 1000 hand grenades going off simultaneously.

And ocean pressure increases linearly, so if it was 2000 feet it's 120 kg of TNT. 3000 feet 180 kg, etc. etc.

Someone correct my math because I hate and suck at physics.

EDIT: Forgot the 2 small walls and corrected for the air pressure in the sub, I am an idiot.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

That entire story combines my biggest fears: Enclosed spaces and being under water…if you threw in the words “shark infested”, you’d hit my personal trifecta. I personally don’t understand thrill seekers or those who feel invincible, but this is a senseless and avoidable tragedy. The sheer arrogance that some have/had on this voyage is really sobering to be honest.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

That entire story combines my biggest fears: Enclosed spaces and being under water…if you threw in the words “shark infested”, you’d hit my personal trifecta. I personally don’t understand thrill seekers or those who feel invincible, but this is a senseless and avoidable tragedy. The sheer arrogance that some have/had on this voyage is really sobering to be honest.

I do feel bad for the kid who went just to make his dad happy for Father's Day. 

The thing is, the CEO was weirdly tangentially sort of correct with his dismissal of safety in his comments from a few years ago- up until now, no one had died from deep sea exploration of the Titanic. But he shirked absolutely all safety responsibility (look at those waivers they had riders sign), and look at the specs of that sub for what they were doing with it. It was a time bomb. That classic billionaire arrogance was on full display here.

Although I will say, respect to this CEO for dying by his own hand at least. At least he had faith in his product. You don't see Elon Musk getting on any of his rockets that blow up immediately.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The thing is, the CEO was weirdly tangentially sort of correct with his dismissal of safety in his comments from a few years ago- up until now, no one had died from deep sea exploration of the Titanic. But he shirked absolutely all safety responsibility (look at those waivers they had riders sign), and look at the specs of that sub for what they were doing with it. It was a time bomb. That classic billionaire arrogance was on full display here.

Although I will say, respect to this CEO for dying by his own hand at least. At least he had faith in his product. You don't see Elon Musk getting on any of his rockets that blow up immediately.

But even Musk has the tiniest ounce of humility enough to not have manned rockets until the bugs are worked out…at least up until now.

Being culpable in the deaths of others while signing off on “This is a dangerous mission” CYA waiver isn’t admirable in any context IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

But even Musk has the tiniest ounce of humility enough to not have manned rockets until the bugs are worked out…at least up until now.

Being culpable in the deaths of others while signing off on “This is a dangerous mission” CYA waiver isn’t admirable in any context IMO.

That last bit of my post was very tongue in cheek.

• Like 1

At Titanic depths, some 12,500 feet down, the water pressure is nearly 400 times more than at the ocean's surface — some 6,000 pounds would have been pressing down on every square inch of Titan's exterior.

"If you translate that to a physical force, it's going to be in the order of high thousands of tons to 10,000 tons, so the analogy would be the weight of the Eiffel Tower being the kinds of loads it's experiencing," said Blair Thornton, a professor of marine autonomy, also at the University of Southampton, who has designed and built dozens of robot-operated deep-sea submersibles.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/titanic-sub-search-catastrophic-implosion-rcna90744

6000 pounds per square INCH? yikes.

8 hours ago, minutemancl said:

True...but lol if Elon Musk wasn't somehow involved in this disaster.  His Starlink space clutter enterprise were promoting the heck out of how great and reliable their satellite internet connectivity was with this project.  Right up until they uhhh...lost connectivity and contact with the sub and everyone died.

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

At Titanic depths, some 12,500 feet down, the water pressure is nearly 400 times more than at the ocean's surface — some 6,000 pounds would have been pressing down on every square inch of Titan's exterior.

"If you translate that to a physical force, it's going to be in the order of high thousands of tons to 10,000 tons, so the analogy would be the weight of the Eiffel Tower being the kinds of loads it's experiencing," said Blair Thornton, a professor of marine autonomy, also at the University of Southampton, who has designed and built dozens of robot-operated deep-sea submersibles.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/titanic-sub-search-catastrophic-implosion-rcna90744

6000 pounds per square INCH? yikes.

At least it was instant for them… likely didn’t even know something was going wrong. 

Just sinking in the sub then it’s over. 

Id like to go out that quickly when it’s my time.