Allen Robinson gets Franchise Tag (updated pg 8)

WindyCity

Man, the FO really fubbed this one up, badly.

Going into offseason programs with a disgruntled and less motivated Arob seems like a bad idea.  This is your best offensive player...not some scrub.  It also sends a hell of a message to the locker room.

I can't imagine they will let him play out the entire tag-- I don't see that happening at all.  They will either trade him soon, or extend him this summer (after June) and this tag is only being used to give them more time to figure out what they really wanna do with him.

This could also be a smoke screen. Teams know if they let Arob hit the market then they are going after a WR in the draft....tagging him still leaves them in suspense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Man, the FO really fubbed this one up, badly.

Going into offseason programs with a disgruntled and less motivated Arob seems like a bad idea.  This is your best offensive player...not some scrub.  It also sends a hell of a message to the locker room.

I can't imagine they will let him play out the entire tag-- I don't see that happening at all.  They will either trade him soon, or extend him this summer (after June) and this tag is only being used to give them more time to figure out what they really wanna do with him.

This could also be a smoke screen. Teams know if they let Arob hit the market then they are going after a WR in the draft....tagging him still leaves them in suspense.

Exactly. That's why I said they should have been 100% open about saying they wanted to extend him and that they would use the franchise tag as another option to give them more time to finish the deal to both party's satisfaction. 

Puts you as the nice guy and puts the pressure on ARob and his camp to get a deal done or play the villain role. If they refuse to play ball you can still trade him. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Hes been told that before. 

tenor.gif

Ya know...i was just scrolling Twitter and the news just came so quickly.  I wanted to wait for more sources to validate the news, but you also always want to be the first to report it, it was a real touch n’ go moment.  Hope you don’t see this as a shortcoming of mine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Exactly. That's why I said they should have been 100% open about saying they wanted to extend him and that they would use the franchise tag as another option to give them more time to finish the deal to both party's satisfaction. 

Puts you as the nice guy and puts the pressure on ARob and his camp to get a deal done or play the villain role. If they refuse to play ball you can still trade him. 

Absolutely.  You can't go in interviews for months saying that you're dedicated to keeping him, but then turn around and go months without even talking to his camp about any possibilities. Actions speak louder than words.  Arob must be really confused at this point.

I mean seriously, look at it from Arobs point of view.

Could you imagine your employer going to the media saying how they wanna keep you. But then you are sitting back going ...."well if you want me as bad as you say in those interviews then why have I not heard from you"?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Absolutely.  You can't go in interviews for months saying that you're dedicated to keeping him, but then turn around and go months without even talking to his camp about any possibilities. Actions speak louder than words.  Arob must be really confused at this point.

I mean seriously, look at it from Arobs point of view.

Could you imagine your employer going to the media saying how they wanna keep you. But then you are sitting back going ...."well if you want me as bad as you say in those interviews then why have I not heard from you"?

Wanting to keep a player can also mean for just 1 year on the tag vs multiple years on a large contract

For all we know Pace & Nagy may be gone next year. Maybe they are actually doing Robinson a favor by not giving him a long term deal to stay in Chicago

For now they are just trying to preserve their jobs

Also no one should feel too bad for Robinson when he's set to make $17M this coming year 

This is just business 

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Wanting to keep a player can also mean for just 1 year on the tag vs multiple years on a large contract

For all we know Pace & Nagy may be gone next year. Maybe they are actually doing Robinson a favor by not giving him a long term deal to stay in Chicago

For now they are just trying to preserve their jobs

Also no one should feel too bad for Robinson when he's set to make $17M this coming year 

This is just business 

I don't think Robinson cares much about the inner workings of the franchise.  He's just looking for long term stability. 

Where is his next check coming from to feed his family? Do I have to sell my house or start the process of letting the landlord know we are moving?  Where can my kids go to school at? Are they good schools in the area?  I really don't wanna keep relocating them?  Taxes are due......do I have to file for Chicago AND whatever place I end up at, or can I just go ahead with Illinois taxes? 

Robinson has been very vocal about not wanting to be tagged (as most players are).  He wants a long term deal with the Bears, and he has more than earned it, but the FO has ignored him.

8 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I don't think Robinson cares much about the inner workings of the franchise.  He's just looking for long term stability. 

Where is his next check coming from to feed his family? Do I have to sell my house or start the process of letting the landlord know we are moving?  Where can my kids go to school at? Are they good schools in the area?  I really don't wanna keep relocating them?  Taxes are due......do I have to file for Chicago AND whatever place I end up at, or can I just go ahead with Illinois taxes? 

Robinson has been very vocal about not wanting to be tagged (as most players are).  He wants a long term deal with the Bears, and he has more than earned it, but the FO has ignored him.

Those aren't facts. We don't know the inner workings of what's happened. Right now it's just Robinson playing the victim card and pointing the finger

And while some of those questions are legit you can not be serious about about where the next check is to feed his family is coming from ...😂

Pretty sure he already has enough to feed his family for the next 100 years

Also can't compare a regular job to that of being a premier NFL player

People need to chill with crying out for the guy

Trust me..he'll have his day

• Like 2

Can we at least consider, once a deal didn’t get done before last season and that apparent window for a “more reasonable deal” was missed, that Pace decided to let the market set Robinson’s price for him? Tagging him ahead of the FA spend-a-thon was always going to be the most logical way to do that.

Especially with someone like Golladay hitting the market, a week from now Pace can take whatever Golladay gets (which is gonna be a ton) to ARob and present it like “Look, here’s what THIS market is paying a clear cut #1 receiver. We wanna do that for you (plus a little more in guarantee and/or AAV) because you’re that for us. The market says this is a number that should be fair for both of us.” If this is really a respect deal for ARob where he wants to be paid at the top of the current WR market how does he not accept something like that? If anything, basing Robinson’s contract value off day 1 UFA prices is in his favor, not the team’s. 

It calls for an assumption that Pace isn’t a complete idiot (he’s not, despite his shortcomings), but if Pace is the culture builder GM he proclaims to be that would be the way for him to show the team that. 

11 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Those aren't facts. We don't know the inner workings of what's happened. Right now it's just Robinson playing the victim card and pointing the finger

And while some of those questions are legit you can not be serious about about where the next check is to feed his family is coming from ...😂

Pretty sure he already has enough to feed his family for the next 100 years

Also can't compare a regular job to that of being a premier NFL player

People need to chill with crying out for the guy

Trust me..he'll have his day

Those are facts.  Pace went into interviews and claimed they wanted to keep him but they haven't didn't even reached out.

What's NOT fact is this.....

37 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

11 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

The 18M is only for ONE YEAR. This doesn't meet the stability standards.  Clearly you never read any book that explains the REAL cost of being a professional player. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Can we at least consider, once a deal didn’t get done before last season and that apparent window for a “more reasonable deal” was missed, that Pace decided to let the market set Robinson’s price for him? Tagging him ahead of the FA spend-a-thon was always going to be the most logical way to do that.

Especially with someone like Golladay hitting the market, a week from now Pace can take whatever Golladay gets (which is gonna be a ton) to ARob and present it like “Look, here’s what THIS market is paying a clear cut #1 receiver. We wanna do that for you (plus a little more in guarantee and/or AAV) because you’re that for us. The market says this is a number that should be fair for both of us.” If this is really a respect deal for ARob where he wants to be paid at the top of the current WR market how does he not accept something like that? If anything, basing Robinson’s contract value off day 1 UFA prices is in his favor, not the team’s. 

It calls for an assumption that Pace isn’t a complete idiot (he’s not, despite his shortcomings), but if Pace is the culture builder GM he proclaims to be that would be the way for him to show the team that. 

Not exactly the same.

Golladay has played with a serviceable QB over the last 4 years on his rookie contract and is looking for his very first long term contract at the age of 27. 

Robinson, on the other hand, has played with garbage QB for the last 7 years and is looking for his 2nd (and most likely) his last long term contract at the age of 28. 

Robinson has alot more leverage.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

Ya know...i was just scrolling Twitter and the news just came so quickly.  I wanted to wait for more sources to validate the news, but you also always want to be the first to report it, it was a real touch n’ go moment.  Hope you don’t see this as a shortcoming of mine.

giphy.gif

This is why you're locked into the top 2 slots of all the CBears I know.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Not exactly the same.

Golladay has played with a serviceable QB over the last 4 years on his rookie contract and is looking for his very first long term contract at the age of 27. 

Robinson, on the other hand, has played with garbage QB for the last 7 years and is looking for his 2nd (and most likely) his last long term contract at the age of 28. 

Robinson has alot more leverage.

I didn’t say their situations are the same. I’m saying that Golladay is going to set the top of the 2021 WR market. He’s the best of the free agents at the position and a legit top 15 WR. Robinson’s deal should exceed that of Golladay because he’s the better player, but not blow it out of the water because they’re both probably in the same tier on the overall WR hierarchy IMO. Golladay’s deal should be a pretty strong comp from which the two sides should be able to find common ground.

Both players turn 28 this year - Robinson in August and Golladay in November - which is kind of crazy considering ARob has been in the league 3 full seasons more. One could argue (I’m not, but it’s there) that Robinson is an older 28 in terms of wear and tear than Golladay because of that. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Those are facts.  Pace went into interviews and claimed they wanted to keep him but they haven't didn't even reached out.

What's NOT fact is this.....

The 18M is only for ONE YEAR. This doesn't meet the stability standards.  Clearly you never read any book that explains the REAL cost of being a professional player. 

So Ryan Pace came out and said they ignored Robinson and his agent's attempts to get a long term deal done ? Where can I see this source of yours? That's not facts bro

Look I'm not trying to take anyone's side here..we all have our opinions but like I said it's hard for me to feel bad for Robinson without knowing for sure what really happened behind the scenes or what numbers have been discussed if at all

None of us know so let's stop pretending we do

Fact remains Robinson is gonna get his bank whether it's next week, 4 months or a year from now

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I didn’t say their situations are the same. I’m saying that Golladay is going to set the top of the 2021 WR market. He’s the best of the free agents at the position and a legit top 15 WR. Robinson’s deal should exceed that of Golladay because he’s the better player, but not blow it out of the water because they’re both probably in the same tier on the overall WR hierarchy IMO. Golladay’s deal should be a pretty strong comp from which the two sides should be able to find common ground.

Ok, I gotcha.  Admittedly I read your post the wrong way. That's my bad.

I agree. 

Pace simply jumped ahead of curve.  Instead of letting another similar player dictate the market he went ahead and set the market himself (similar to what he did with Jackson before other prime safeties). The longer the wait, the higher the price. Especially if you wait until free agency where the price is much higher. And I would agree Robinson and Gollday are in the same tier.

So getting Robinson now BEFORE Golladay can set the market is a good strategy. 

14 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Both players turn 28 this year - Robinson in August and Golladay in November - which is kind of crazy considering ARob has been in the league 3 full seasons more. One could argue (I’m not, but it’s there) that Robinson is an older 28 in terms of wear and tear than Golladay because of that. 

It is crazy.  Robinson was 21 when he first came into the league. That a very young age and he has grown since. Admittedly, I have never seen him a prime #1 receiver but more so as a very high end #2.  But after this year I have leaned more to that grey area where it's hard to tell.  I would love to see what he could do with some QB stability.