Allen Robinson gets Franchise Tag (updated pg 8)

WindyCity

10 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I can see them tagging him to keep him. Trade him? I dunno...

Short of including him in a deal for Watson or getting a 1st round pick back for him to draft one of this year’s top WR prospects (both unlikely) I can’t see us trading him. What makes the most sense with a tag has been and will continue to be for us to then see where Golladay and Godwin end up financially in the current year’s market and do a deal largely in like with those in terms of total dollars. Pace needs to win now - he’s not trading away his best passing game asset without a massive return. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Short of including him in a deal for Watson or getting a 1st round pick back for him to draft one of this year’s top WR prospects (both unlikely) I can’t see us trading him. What makes the most sense with a tag has been and will continue to be for us to then see where Golladay and Godwin end up financially in the current year’s market and do a deal largely in like with those in terms of total dollars. Pace needs to win now - he’s not trading away his best passing game asset without a massive return. 

The only way I see him being traded if he is part of a bigger move. If The Bears really want to move into the top 10 I could see the Jets, Dolphins, and Eagles being interested in him.

An outside-the-box trade thought:

Robinson for Golladay

Both are getting tagged. Robinson is from Detroit. Golladay is from Chicago. Golladay is the closest to Robinson amongst alternative WR options to ARob. 

Unrelated: Golladay has been in the league 2 less years yet is only 3 months younger than Robinson. 

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I don't like him because of cost demands, but I am surprised no one here is pounding table for Dak P. or even talking about him.  

He could be a straight free agent that only costs money.  A lot of money, but no draft picks.

If Prescott becomes a free agent, the Bears need to trade Hicks, Fuller, Trevathan, the guy who paints the yard stripes, WHOEVER, just so they can sign him. 

Worry about building a full team next year. Deal with a six win season in 2021. Roll with Dak. 

I'd say that subject is kind of a thread of it's own, though...

Edited by Heinz D.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

The problem is that he's already disgruntled with the way the Bears handled his contract situation. Tagging him isn't going to make him want to cut a team-friendly deal. He could easily wait it out.

• Like 1

ive been saying for months i think the thing that has the best chance of happening is a tag and trade, thereby getting the return this year as opposed to a potential comp pick. with how the salary cap is going to affect teams ability to sign players, there are no guarantees.

yes, i would have much rather signed arob to a long term deal a year ago, but here we are, and i'm not entirely sure paying a WR 20/year is the wisest choice without a qb to get him the ball. either draft his replacement with whatever draft pick we get for him, or, if we use him to trade for a qb - then grab an OT with our 2nd and make WR our #1 priority next offseason. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

I honestly like the idea of tagging him. I feel like for some reason he is under appreciated by Bears fans. He is a top 5 WR in almost every category and that is playing with Foles and Trubisky. You guys are acting waaaayyy too casual about losing him.

Idk if he is top 5 but I'd have no issues putting him top 10. But I think I'm at the point of just hoping he has success. I'm fine with him aborting this sinking ship and not wasting his career here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Idk if he is top 5 but I'd have no issues putting him top 10. But I think I'm at the point of just hoping he has success. I'm fine with him aborting this sinking ship and not wasting his career here. 

I love Robinson but let's be real now he's not a top-5 NFL WR. Top-10 sure but off the top of my head he's not better than guys like Hopkins, Julio, Adams, Thomas & Evans

• Like 2

I think the tag is what we can all expect at this point for Robinson with the report of there being no communication between the two sides on a long term deal since early last season.

At the very least tagging him allows them to see if another team makes an offer to trade for Robinson's rights if say they don't intend on keeping him for next season but as it was mentioned before it's hard to envision Pace & Nagy just letting their best offensive player walk in what's a must win year for them...

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

The problem is that he's already disgruntled with the way the Bears handled his contract situation. Tagging him isn't going to make him want to cut a team-friendly deal. He could easily wait it out.

I wouldn’t expect him to cut a team-friendly deal. When I think “team-friendly deal” I think taking less than market level. He absolutely should expect and get a market level deal... and doing so can be structured in a team-friendly way.

4 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

He doesn't come off as being the type to do this but I wouldn't put it past him or blame him if he did.  The FO should've handled this a year ago.  

• Like 1