2021 NFL Draft

RamRod

On 3/14/2021 at 1:20 PM, RamPackFan said:

Dyami Brown on Rams radar 🧐

To be honest, I'd be happy with either UNC receiver.  I have a closeted crush on Dazz Newsome the same way Jrry did with Kupp several years ago; the guy just plain gets open even if he isn't an out and out burner - there's a savvy to how he runs his routes, varying his speed and using his throttle just really impressively, that reminds me of a smaller version of (this will sound like lofty praise, but it's more to the ability to get separation and just plain slip coverage consistently without having to have 4.3 speed) Davonte Adams or, really, the player-style comp that kept beating me over the head was Jordy Nelson.  McVay could do A LOT with him and, realistically, I think he's capable of being Woods' successor.

7 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

To be honest, I'd be happy with either UNC receiver.  I have a closeted crush on Dazz Newsome the same way Jrry did with Kupp several years ago; the guy just plain gets open even if he isn't an out and out burner - there's a savvy to how he runs his routes, varying his speed and using his throttle just really impressively, that reminds me of a smaller version of (this will sound like lofty praise, but it's more to the ability to get separation and just plain slip coverage consistently without having to have 4.3 speed) Davonte Adams or, really, the player-style comp that kept beating me over the head was Jordy Nelson.  McVay could do A LOT with him and, realistically, I think he's capable of being Woods' successor.

Same here. They're both really good. I think we will have a few options at WR between 2nd and 3rd round picks, surprisingly

Watching the recap of Stanford's rainy pro day and I need to go watch more tape on Simi Fohoko.  I don't think the 4.37 he was clocked at is true (not that someone didn't clock him there, but regardless of what he's clocked at, he has visible separation speed and gears up in a hurry), but he's a viable deep-route runner from the X or the Y, from the looks of it.  Anybody who actually has followed him or Stanford have any suggestions on games, good and bad, I should make sure to check out?  I know they didn't play much at all last season (IIRC).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr LBC said:

Watching the recap of Stanford's rainy pro day and I need to go watch more tape on Simi Fohoko.  I don't think the 4.37 he was clocked at is true (not that someone didn't clock him there, but regardless of what he's clocked at, he has visible separation speed and gears up in a hurry), but he's a viable deep-route runner from the X or the Y, from the looks of it.  Anybody who actually has followed him or Stanford have any suggestions on games, good and bad, I should make sure to check out?  I know they didn't play much at all last season (IIRC).

Last I checked, there weren't many available. He clearly murdered UCLA. But the Washington game from this year is a good one. You get to see him face off with Molden some. He's a talented guy, supremely talented. But he's super raw. This is my summary on him:

Simi Fehoko - Simi is a project WR who has a mountain's worth of upside. At 6'4" 225ish pounds, Simi has great size and is physical with the ball in his hands. He has the speed to take the top off a defense and to house plays if he has a seam. He is more of a long strider than a guy who explodes off the ball, though. But he has the ability to make contested catches due to his generally good pair of mitts and his large frame. I'd like to see him become much more physical in his routes and when the ball is in the air. HIs route running also needs a lot of development. But his upside makes him a good developmental pick early on Day 3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Last I checked, there weren't many available. He clearly murdered UCLA. But the Washington game from this year is a good one. You get to see him face off with Molden some. He's a talented guy, supremely talented. But he's super raw. This is my summary on him:

Simi Fehoko - Simi is a project WR who has a mountain's worth of upside. At 6'4" 225ish pounds, Simi has great size and is physical with the ball in his hands. He has the speed to take the top off a defense and to house plays if he has a seam. He is more of a long strider than a guy who explodes off the ball, though. But he has the ability to make contested catches due to his generally good pair of mitts and his large frame. I'd like to see him become much more physical in his routes and when the ball is in the air. HIs route running also needs a lot of development. But his upside makes him a good developmental pick early on Day 3.

Bolded makes you wonder if he's even on McVay's radar. 

16 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Bolded makes you wonder if he's even on McVay's radar. 

I think it depends on McVay's evaluation of Jefferson's development over Y1 entering Y2.  One thing that I think Fohoko would have going in his favor is that you just plain don't come out of that Stanford program as a underdeveloped run-blocker (similar to coming out of Iowa, it's just something in the water there, so to speak) and we know McVay covets that.

Fohoko is, from what I've seen on cursory tape viewing,  the type of receiver that Stafford has clicked with in the past (I see at least a fair amount of prospect-to-prospect similarity between him and Golladay when he was coming out of Northern Illinois), with the added bonus of being an improved run-blocker over most of those guys who weren't either free agent signings or named Golden Tate (and throwing out Calvin Johnson as needle in a haystack).

Just trying to get options together that aren't the same 2 or 3 prospects.  At the moment, I see someone probably more akin to Josh Reynolds than in the mold of a Brandin Cooks, but the tools look to be there.  I've kind of got him in the same cluster, though below in my rankings/preference (which is weighted accounting for more immediate impact) to someone like Shi Smith.  But I'm also less concerned with getting a conventional field-stretcher as I am with more of a Deebo Samuel sort - which is a type we know has playmaking ability in this scheme.

3 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

I think it depends on McVay's evaluation of Jefferson's development over Y1 entering Y2.  One thing that I think Fohoko would have going in his favor is that you just plain don't come out of that Stanford program as a underdeveloped run-blocker (similar to coming out of Iowa, it's just something in the water there, so to speak) and we know McVay covets that.

Fohoko is, from what I've seen on cursory tape viewing,  the type of receiver that Stafford has clicked with in the past (I see at least a fair amount of prospect-to-prospect similarity between him and Golladay when he was coming out of Northern Illinois), with the added bonus of being an improved run-blocker over most of those guys who weren't either free agent signings or named Golden Tate (and throwing out Calvin Johnson as needle in a haystack).

Just trying to get options together that aren't the same 2 or 3 prospects.  At the moment, I see someone probably more akin to Josh Reynolds than in the mold of a Brandin Cooks, but the tools look to be there.  I've kind of got him in the same cluster, though below in my rankings/preference (which is weighted accounting for more immediate impact) to someone like Shi Smith.  But I'm also less concerned with getting a conventional field-stretcher as I am with more of a Deebo Samuel sort - which is a type we know has playmaking ability in this scheme.

Long response and sorry on a mobile but we know McVay prioritizes route running. If this guy can’t no matter what else he can do you have to question if he’s a target.

45 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Long response and sorry on a mobile but we know McVay prioritizes route running. If this guy can’t no matter what else he can do you have to question if he’s a target.

Because, from what I'm seeing and gathering from not just Jrry, but assessments by Tony Pauline, Zierlein, and Drae Harris, it's not that he can't it's that he currently doesn't.  The tools are there, he's physically capable of it, it appears primarily to be a case of lack of experience (some of that a case of lack of opportunity in how he was regularly deployed within the system he was in) as well as attitude.  They're things that can be taught, it really comes down to assessment of his willingness and receptiveness to learning and implementing.  Again, we're talking about a developmental guy here.  From everything I can tell, he already brings special teams value - which we know is something we're aiming to improve.  We know that McVay prioritizes route-running, at least when it's come to the team using Day 2 and earlier (trade/free agency) picks on the player.  

I'm bored while working from home and wanted to lay out a few prospects in each round I'm very much interested in. As we get closer to the draft some of these prospects will cement themselves in earlier rounds or not, but I think we have a decent idea of range where we are currently at. Also, I think we all fully expect Snead to move around and accumulate more picks; probably in the 5th round range since we currently do not have one. I'm really excited for the 3rd-4th round of this draft and would love to move back from the 2nd to add more 3rd round picks unless someone falls to us at #57 and wows us.  Please add more to this list and your own later round prospects. Have to think McVay takes a flyer QB at somepoint Mond and Newman come to mind in the 5th onward.

2nd round #57

3rd Round #88

3rd Round #103

4th Round #141

6th Round #209

7th Round #252

2nd Round Prospects

Asante Samuel Jr  CB FSU

Jabril Cox LB LSU

Dylan Moses LB Bama

Landon Dickerson IOL Bama

Walker Little OT Stanford