Padres extend Fernando Tatis Jr

beekay414

45 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Because he's made less than a million dollars in his career and is one bad slide away from never playing an MLB game again?

$340m is a lot of money lol

I get that but the odds of it happening are very slim.  He could have signed a 5 year 50ish M deal to get through arbitration which is still a lot of money and then likely sign a 10 year 400-500 Mil deal at 26.  There is a reason everyone loves this for the Padres.  

In general, the baseball contract situation is stupid and they should allow people to cash in when they are worth it opposed to being paid for past performance later in their careers. I get trying to keep guys with the team that develops them but seems there is a better way than paying these guys pennies when they are all stars early on. 

21 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I get that but the odds of it happening are very slim.  He could have signed a 5 year 50ish M deal to get through arbitration which is still a lot of money and then likely sign a 10 year 400-500 Mil deal at 26.  There is a reason everyone loves this for the Padres.  

In general, the baseball contract situation is stupid and they should allow people to cash in when they are worth it opposed to being paid for past performance later in their careers. I get trying to keep guys with the team that develops them but seems there is a better way than paying these guys pennies when they are all stars early on. 

Maybe the odds of a career ending slide are slim but the odds of something happening over the next 4-5 years that would prevent him from getting a $400M+ deal at 26 are significant.  Probably less than 50% but far greater than zero.

I think he made the judgement that a 100% guarantee of $340M was worth more to him than an 75% chance or whatever at $450M.  I think most people presented with that choice would take the $340M as well.  People are risk averse. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2021 at 6:10 AM, mission27 said:

Maybe the odds of a career ending slide are slim but the odds of something happening over the next 4-5 years that would prevent him from getting a $400M+ deal at 26 are significant.  Probably less than 50% but far greater than zero.

I think he made the judgement that a 100% guarantee of $340M was worth more to him than an 75% chance or whatever at $450M.  I think most people presented with that choice would take the $340M as well.  People are risk averse. 

MoL right once again tbh

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So... You think... he's overrated because... he might get injured?

This sort of take doesn't end well.

No - they are (correctly IMO) arguing that the $340MM he got now was worth the slight discount on what he could have gotten as a FA because it mitigates the injury risk.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

No - they are (correctly IMO) arguing that the $340MM he got now was worth the slight discount on what he could have gotten as a FA because it mitigates the injury risk.

Nah, I like my interpretation better.

On 4/6/2021 at 3:59 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Kids these days have short memories 

Probably would've told Gray Sizemore to turn down three hundred million bucks too

• 1 year later...
On 4/6/2021 at 10:39 AM, TLO said:

MoL right once again tbh

Since this, Tatis missed 30 games last season, broke his wrist in an offseason motorcycle accident, and subsequently got popped for roids. Unreal how much we nailed this. 

@mission27

Edited by TLO
  • Like 1