Matthews & Cobb Contracts

TheOnlyThing

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i know. he's a candidate to restructure. He wouldn't sniff his next year's contract on the open market (i don't think). Plus, he seems the type to be open to a restructure to finish his career out here in more of a support role.

I would not mind a restructure on Nelson's deal.  Moving him to the slot and having him for the redzone effectiveness in 2018 at his current deal is not that bad.   

Cobb on the other hand, I just cant see paying for the production.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

restated another way:

this player has no NFL talent and entirely the product of being a smart player who is bouyed by his all world QB.  He's Danny Amendola, he's decrepit roddy white, he's aged Marques Colston.  he's a cog in a machine, and the machine is kind of broken.

Compare him to Larry fitzgerald: Larry is all of those things except he still has his short area quicks which Nelson never really had and now has none of.

Time to restock at WR

Agreed.  Why resigning Adams become so important.  He is playing like a top tier WR and might be more expensive to sign as the weeks tick by.

18 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Adams is a top 10 WR at this point, imo.

Cut Cobb.. would love to see us go for Marqise Lee if the price is right. 

Julio, Antonio Brown, Hopkins, ODB, AJ Green, TY Hilton, Michael Thomas are all a tier or 2 or 3 above adams.  That's 7.

Now here's the next group.  Several of which you could argue are above Adams.  He's firmly in this group, which puts him FIRMLY top 25. 

Demaryius Thomas, Amari Cooper, Michael Crabtree, Larry Fitzgerald, Doug Baldwin, Alshon Jeffery, Brandin Cooks, Jarvis Landry, Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Keenan Allen, Dez Bryant, Golden Tate, Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs, Emmanuel Sanders, Julian Edelman.

Honorable mentions: Will fuller, Marvin Jones, desean jackson, Rishard Matthews, Sammy Watkins, Devante Parker, Allen Robinson, Josh Doctson.  Adams is firmly ahead of those guys.

The only way you let Adams walk is if you replace him with one of the above guys.  Several of which would be a definite downgrade in talent, but you can rationalize it if they are significantly cheaper or if Adams simply doesn't want to come back.

5 hours ago, Pugger said:

I have a feeling Adams will want to come back and catch passes from our HOF QB next season.

Are there any examples of an excellent WR outside of TO leaving a team with a great qb?  Moss got traded from NE, Boldin left after Warner retired.

Closest I can find is Derrick Mason (26th all time in rec yards) leaving Tennessee when McNair was still there.  But then McNair joined him.

21 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

We need to keep Adams in the fold, being that he's our best receiver at present.....Nelson and Cobb just aren't playing any where in comparison....Not a surprise with Cobb, but I expect more from Jordy...

21 hours ago, Pugger said:

I have a feeling Adams will want to come back and catch passes from our HOF QB next season.

Money talks. Adams would go to JAX to play with Bortles tomorrow if they offered him an extra $2 mil per year or especially more guaranteed money.

43 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

We need to keep Adams in the fold, being that he's our best receiver at present.....Nelson and Cobb just aren't playing any where in comparison....Not a surprise with Cobb, but I expect more from Jordy...

Getting old sucks. Jordy can't separate anymore, period. He's still savy but that's a more useful trait for Rodgers versus a Hundley. I'd keep Jordy at a reduced price and let Cobb walk (or even better, do a little GMing for once and trade him). Same with Matthews. He doesnt seem like the type to take a pay cut so I'd use his money to go get someone better on the edge or a top corner, or both if we have the funds. 

What do i think will really happen...all 3 will be back at their same salaries because TT doesnt have the stones to make those moves. Nothing in his history suggests otherwise. 

21 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

Not going to be easy to get rid of Cobb or Mathews because of the dead money. I think they both finish with their current contracts or until the teram can absorb the dead money. 

3 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

Not going to be easy to get rid of Cobb or Mathews because of the dead money. I think they both finish with their current contracts or until the teram can absorb the dead money. 

There is ZERO dead money in letting Matthews go after his season. None. Nada.

But I agree, that if TT remains GM, Matthews will be back to collect his $11.4M in 2018.

I kinda hope Jordy retires this year. Love the guy, but I think it's time to spend another 2nd round pick on a WR and refresh the group a bit

Grab me an EDGE in the 1st, WR in the 2nd, then a couple OL and defensive players the rest of the way and I'm one happy boi

4 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I kinda hope Jordy retires this year. Love the guy, but I think it's time to spend another 2nd round pick on a WR and refresh the group a bit

Grab me an EDGE in the 1st, WR in the 2nd, then a couple OL and defensive players the rest of the way and I'm one happy boi

I think Jordy can be productive for another year or two with Rodgers at the helm, but he's more of a #2 receiver these days.  I do think Adams is ready to be the #1 wideout .. he really is already.  Seeing Adams perform well with Hundley has been awesome.  I would agree that we need to draft a wideout in round 2 or 3.  I also wouldn't mind seeing the Packers sign a lower cost free agent as well.  I don't think the Packers will let Adams get away under any circumstance.  Worst case is that they have to throw a franchise tag on him .. don't think it will come to that though.

15 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think Jordy can be productive for another year or two with Rodgers at the helm, but he's more of a #2 receiver these days.  I do think Adams is ready to be the #1 wideout .. he really is already.  Seeing Adams perform well with Hundley has been awesome.  I would agree that we need to draft a wideout in round 2 or 3.  I also wouldn't mind seeing the Packers sign a lower cost free agent as well.  I don't think the Packers will let Adams get away under any circumstance.  Worst case is that they have to throw a franchise tag on him .. don't think it will come to that though.

Allen Robinson..... Let Jordy go, sign Arob, re-sign Morgan Burnett for 4 years, draft edge round 1. I can dream

Back to reality, I would love to see Arob go to Cleveland and play with Josh Rosen, Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman in the slot

1 hour ago, JBURGE25 said:

Jordy's still an asset to this team if he literally plays only red zone snaps.  I'd like to see him play for three more years because I think he can be an asset for us for that long.  I certainly want to spend a 2nd or third on a receiver, but I don't want it to take Jordy retiring. 

Archived