FFMD 2021

Scoundrel

It's an easy no.  

Tyreek costs 33M over the next 2 years.    On a team that needs a top WR, that's OK - but we don't need more WR's.

Von costs 18M/1 to retain.    For the positional need and team fit, you can't do it.    This isn't a fantasy team.

I say the above realizing #63 isn't by any means guaranteed.   But you can't add to our WR corps, and take away a guy you need - for 1 extra year at 15M.     And that's before you get the lost opportunity at #63.

If this was a different team, with different needs, sure.   

The other part - there's no way you want to make a team better for next year, when you own their 1st in 2022.   This would clearly do that.     You give them 2.63 to pick a guy AND you give them Von Miller, it makes them a way better team construction-wise for 2021.   They're just giving up a WR for 1 extra year, but it could mean the difference between an early playoff exit, and going deep - that's 8-10 spots of draft equity (and if Mahomes went down, the gap with a less complete team and one that's heavily weighted to O but no elite QB - well, you get the idea).

Easy decision to pass.    When you own their 1st - you do not do anything that makes the other guy better for the single season.  

Edited by Broncofan

Strong work.    While CB & ILB are still long term needs - there’s no reason to force picks when a BPA talent drops.    Sometimes there’s no big gap - so you let need dictate a pick.   This isn’t one of those times.   Just too good a player to pass up.   Whether it’s this year or next we’ll look to add to our interior OL - getting a talent like his at 63 is too good value wise.   Hats off. 

• Like 1

It’s a good pick. He needs a year with Munchak but in a year’s time, we’ll know whether Cushenberry has made the leap or not. If he has then we can save $6m by cutting Glasgow and having Meinerz start at RG. If Cushenberry continues to struggle then we have a ready made replacement at C, and we keep Glasgow to play RG (or even play Muti at RG)

5 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Don’t know anything about the guy, TBH.  But would have to rank interior OL at the absolute bottom of our needs list.  He’d have to be a 1st rd talent IMO to offer a sufficient talent differential to justify the position. 

The need positions of ILB/CB/SS have guys who grade at least 20 spots lower - at this point, only Melifonwu has gone at CB, and frankly, I would avoid him completely (amazing physical talent, next to no football acumen - similar to his brother).   

Meinerz grades out in the top 50-55 at least, with an Ali Marpet small-school ceiling.    The fallacy of draft addressing needs is that outside of QB and maybe TE (because of how long elite players play at each position), almost every position has a need if you look beyond the current year.     In other drafts, going need at 63 is clearly OK, but sometimes, you get opps that are hard to pass up.    This is one of them.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

A bit of breath-holding, as IMO there's a fairly sizable gap between McGrone and the next ILB - and IRL I think he'll go well before the 80's.      At this stage, need matters as much as BPA, as the gap isn't that great - but this fits perfectly with what  .  

McGrone is raw with only 1 year of tape, but what a year.   And he's got the tools to do it all - sideline to sideline, get after the passer, and he can cover as well.   He does need to learn, but that's where letting Jewell play out his final year with Alex Johnson works really well. 

Meinerz was a pure BPA-faller pick, but this is a great mix of both one of top guys on board - and a crying need.   Well done.

Now we have to wait until Rd5 lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

McGrone is raw with only 1 year of tape, but what a year.   And he's got the tools to do it all - sideline to sideline, get after the passer, and he can cover as well. 

I like how young this draft class would be on defense. Both Ojulari and McGrone have 20 years old.

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Now we have to wait until Rd5 lol

Let's see how the board would fall, but I'm thinking about going the best QB available. After middle of round 4 I only see picks that would be depth feeling and probably won't have much difference on impact between a 5th round pick and a 7th.

And after that grab depth on CB, S, DL and OT....maybe WR, but not necessary.

28 minutes ago, BowserBroncos said:

I like how young this draft class would be on defense. Both Ojulari and McGrone have 20 years old.

Let's see how the board would fall, but I'm thinking about going the best QB available. After middle of round 4 I only see picks that would be depth feeling and probably won't have much difference on impact between a 5th round pick and a 7th.

And after that grab depth on CB, S, DL and OT....maybe WR, but not necessary.

We might need to pick a TE. Butt and Fumagalli gone and Vannett released, the depth after Fant and Albert O not really great.

11 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Did FFMD stop, it's been a couple of days now ??

Denver's last pick is coming in.    @BowserBroncos moved up to get Caden Sterns, and then got a nice value pick in a zone-friendly CB in Trill Williams.  The bios are coming shortly, I'm sure.  

Sterns & Wiggins were in the mix at Rd3, so moving up after Wiggins and about 3 other safeties (who I had all ranked behind those 2 safeties), and top 100-110 grades on, at the 143 mark, was just tremendous value.    He needs time, but it's perfect as Kareem Jackson grooms him for the SS position for 2022.

Looking at the BPA / need mix, the only need not addressed long-term was RT.     There's one RB I might have waited until Rd4-5 to get, but I do love Javonte Williams.

I think Meinerz & Sterns were fantastic value picks, and will go much sooner IRL.   I think Ojulari, Javonte Williams and McGrone will go somewhere close by.  Trill Williams will be taken off the board by teams using a man scheme, but he's the classic undervalued zone-friendly CB.   

A good sign is that 5 of the 6 picks had teams wanting to target the player (McGrone's ACL is likely the reason teams weren't targeting him quite yet, but I think IRL he goes in Rd3....the ceiling is that high).

Edited by Broncofan

So I made a big trade to land @Broncofan top target in the 4th.

Traded all the pick in the 6th and 7th + a 2022 5th to jump from 225 to 140 and draft Caden Sterns, Safety, Texas

After this I had only one pick left at 153. I've got some offers to trade down and get some of the picks of the Sterns trade back, but Trill Williams falled to 153. So here it is our 2021 FFMD class:

31 (1st round) - Azeez Ojulari - OLB - Georgia

32 (1st round) - Javonte Williams - RB - North Carolina

63 (2nd round) - Quinn Meinerz - G/C - Wisconsin-Whitewater

96 (3rd round) - Cameron McGrone - ILB - Michigan

140 (4th round) - Caden Sterns - S - Texas

153 (5th round) - Trill Williams - CB - Syracuse

1 minute ago, BowserBroncos said:

31 (1st round) - Azeez Ojulari - OLB - Georgia

32 (1st round) - Javonte Williams - RB - North Carolina

63 (2nd round) - Quinn Meinerz - G/C - Wisconsin-Whitewater

96 (3rd round) - Cameron McGrone - ILB - Michigan

140 (4th round) - Caden Sterns - S - Texas

153 (5th round) - Trill Williams - CB - Syracuse

Plus the trade that land us Minshew. The FFMD depth chart is looking like this:

den.png&h=64&w=64&scale=crop&cquality=40

Offense

QB Drew Lock - Gardner Minshew - Brett Rypien - Jeff Driskel

RB Melvin Gordon III - Javonte Williams  Royce Freeman - Mike Boone - LeVante Bellamy

WR Courtland Sutton - KJ Hamler - Tyrie Cleveland

WR Jerry Jeudy - DaeSean Hamilton - Trinity Benson

WR Tim Patrick - Diontae Spencer - Kendall Hinton

TE Noah Fant - Albert Okwuegbunam - Austin Fort - Andrew Beck (FB)

LT Garett Bolles - Calvin Anderson

LG Dalton Risner - Austin Schlottmann 

C Lloyd Cushenberry III - Quinn Meinerz - Patrick Morris

RG Graham Glasgow - Quinn Meinerz - Netane Muti

RT Ja'Wuan James - Quinn Bailey

Defense

LDE Dre'Mont Jones - McTelvim Agim - Shamar Stephen

NT Mike Purcell - DeShawn Williams - Deyon Sizer - Isaiah Mack

RDE Shelby Harris - Jonathan Harris

WLB Bradley Chubb - Malik Reed - Natrez Patrick

LILB Alexander Johnson - Cameron McGrone 

RILB Josey Jewell - Justin Strnad  - Josh Watson

SLB Von Miller - Azeez Ojulari - Derrek Tuszka

LCB Kyle Fuller - Bryce Callahan - Trill Williams - Parnell Motley

SS Kareem Jackson - Caden Sterns - Trey Marshall

FS Justin Simmons - P.J. Locke

RCB Ronald Darby - Michael Ojemudia - Essang Bassey - Duke Dawson - Nate Hairston

Special Teams

PK Brandon McManus

P Sam Martin

H Sam Martin

PR Diontae Spencer - KJ Hamler

KR Diontae Spencer - Tyrie Cleveland

LS Jacob Bobenmoyer