Rebuilding the OL

onejayhawk

1 hour ago, samsel23 said:

Yeah,  I think everyone just assumes this.  But it hasn’t really happened.  In all reality,  I get the sense that a lot of guys around the league  can’t stand how cocky the KC offense is.  

Honestly, it's never really something that's happened anywhere. Everyone always thinks it will be a thing, but it just never really has been. People jump as soon as one guy signs a lesser deal, but normally it's just because the demand was lower, so they went home. Like, Breeland didn't sign a team friendly deal last year, he just didn't have a market. The whole team friendly thing doesn't exist. Agents will make sure of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samsel23 said:

I get the sense that a lot of guys around the league  can’t stand how cocky the KC offense is.  

They're just jealous of our weaponry. They have to work at it harder than Mahomes. When Peyton Manning was playing I couldn't stand Indy then Denver. But I had to secretly marvel at what Manning accomplished.

Edited by mayanfootball

32 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

The whole team friendly thing doesn't exist. Agents will make sure of that.

I'll disagree, sort of. Mahomes knows he's rich. He doesn't rub the Chiefs' noses in it. He's going to do alot of restructuring in his career. He wants good players around him

Edited by mayanfootball

35 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

I'll disagree, sort of. Mahomes knows he's rich. He doesn't rub the Chiefs' noses in it. He's going to do alot of restructuring in his career. He wants good players around him

Mahomes took a team friendly structure, sure, but he still got the richest contract ever. Like, he was never not going to get that. When people talk about a team friendly contract, I envision something below their market value, and that's not what Mahomes took.

Since this is a Rebuilding the OL thread, I thought I'd add this write up on Orlando Brown. 24 years old, a 6'8" 355 pound left tackle. The Chiefs OL would arguably be one of the best in the NFL. Mahome's would have plenty of time to pick apart opposing defenses, and the run game would improve significantly. It would cost the Chiefs their 1st round pick this year and possibly a 4th this year. Then there is the contract. But we went after Williams before he signed with SF, so it at at least possible. A big hurdle is the Ravens trading to a divisional opponent.

Orlando Brown trade remains KC Chiefs best option to bolster left tackle spot (arrowheadaddict.com)

2 hours ago, KCsb said:

Since this is a Rebuilding the OL thread, I thought I'd add this write up on Orlando Brown. 24 years old, a 6'8" 355 pound left tackle. The Chiefs OL would arguably be one of the best in the NFL. Mahome's would have plenty of time to pick apart opposing defenses, and the run game would improve significantly. It would cost the Chiefs their 1st round pick this year and possibly a 4th this year. Then there is the contract. But we went after Williams before he signed with SF, so it at at least possible. A big hurdle is the Ravens trading to a divisional opponent.

Orlando Brown trade remains KC Chiefs best option to bolster left tackle spot (arrowheadaddict.com)

It sure would be nice to plug that LT spot for the next decade but I'm starting to wonder how much "drive" he would have once he got paid. Seems like his main goal in life is to make his Pops proud and be a high paid LT. Also, the cap ramifications are starting to get murky as we get closer to Patty's big paycheck. 

Having said all that, if he stays motivated and we can pay him reasonable contract, I wouldn't hate it.

Edited by Chiefs_5627

Honestly, I have no interest in Orlando Brown. It's such a small chance that he plays up to the contract he is going to demand, IMO. Baltimore is one of those teams that knows what they're doing, and 99% of the time if a player leaves the Ravens, they underperform elsewhere. The Ravens keep the ones that actually deserve the elite money, same as us. I've seen too many Ravens free agents bust elsewhere to buy in, in addition to the fact that he has basically said outright he wants to get paid a ton, and it'll involve a positional change and a new team/system. Too many red flags, for me. And we would absolutely have to cut players in a year or two to offset paying $20M to a guy like that.

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Honestly, I have no interest in Orlando Brown. It's such a small chance that he plays up to the contract he is going to demand, IMO. Baltimore is one of those teams that knows what they're doing, and 99% of the time if a player leaves the Ravens, they underperform elsewhere. The Ravens keep the ones that actually deserve the elite money, same as us. I've seen too many Ravens free agents bust elsewhere to buy in, in addition to the fact that he has basically said outright he wants to get paid a ton, and it'll involve a positional change and a new team/system. Too many red flags, for me. And we would absolutely have to cut players in a year or two to offset paying $20M to a guy like that.

I'm hesitant on looking into a trade for Orlando Brown myself because of the points you made about position change, and money. However I would look into Laremy Tunsil and see if he is available if the Texans end having a fire sale since they'll be rebuilding.

It’s not even really about just the money for me on OB.    It’s what else we would be giving up. 

I think we should just be more patient, draft and develop more.  Part of the reason we’re low on young talent,   We’re at the tail end, of what would have been the 1st round selections in the years we traded away those picks for Mahomes/Clark.     

From the lack of activity, I suspect the team has a player targeted for the 5th OL position. Given their draft position, it's unlikely that they expect an immediate LT starter, but three or more players may be day one starters at RT. The exception  would be Walker Little if they deem him ready. 

J

9 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

From the lack of activity, I suspect the team has a player targeted for the 5th OL position. Given their draft position, it's unlikely that they expect an immediate LT starter, but three or more players may be day one starters at RT. The exception  would be Walker Little if they deem him ready. 

J

I'm not sure that Walker should be viewed as a plug-and-play prospect largely considering he hasn't played much football at the college level...he has some talent for sure, but translating that to the next level is a huge uncertainty, IMO.

There are going to startup issues regardless who they select. 

You are correct that Little will have some spin up issues. However, he did a 5.26 second 40 and a sub-5 second shuttle, results below, and he is known to be training with a position coach. The issue is primarily getting him in football shape and back in the groove. Little is a cut or two above talentwise, so I am calling him a day one starter if he's in shape to play at all.

https://247sports.com/college/stanford/Article/Stanford-Football-Pro-Day-Live-Updates-2021-Simi-Fehoko-Walker-Little-Davis-Mills-Paulson-Adebo-Drew-Dalman-162619828/

Edited by onejayhawk