Curtis Samuel signs with the Washington Football Panthers

turtle28

As my buddy said I spoke this into existence lol. This wasn’t even about the Panthers connection actually it was the Terry connection for me early on during the season. But he was one of the more exciting players in the league after the catch last year. I think he compliments Terry well. I think he and Cam Simms or whoever will offer just enough outside or Thomas and Terry. I like it. And not a bad deal. These figures were lower then the max value I had on him and actually closer to the numbers I’d hope we could add him on.

• Like 3

McLaurin just tweeted how he and Samuel spoke about this in thier dorm room. He’s “lit”
You want culture and koom-bye-yah in the locker room, here it is on a silver platter. We all wanted someone to take coverage off Terry, this guy ran 4.31. 

• Like 2

It's a great fit and I'm not sure why he had so many haters on here. I said he was my 1b to Corey Davis' 1a on my WR FA wish-list. Yes, we could have went the draft route in round 2 but why waste a pick on an unknown? Samuel is young, knows the playbook and Rivera's system.

• Like 2

Not the guy I would have signed.

But on the bright side, he does have world-class speed, which they obviously prioritized. He’s a terrific athlete, which you can see in the way he adjusts to the ball so remarkably well at times. He’s dangerous after the catch and he will be valuable in an offense that’s so predicated on short throws to let guys run with the ball. The versatility of the RB history is kinda neat, I guess they can do some wrinkles with that. 

I have to push back on a couple things, though. First is the idea that he’s more than just a slot guy. I didn’t watch every Carolina snap, but in watching the 7+ minute 2020 highlight video they circulated after signing him, there were probably at least 20 plays on there and there was 1 play where he wasn’t in the slot, the backfield, or some kind of bunch formation. He took on virtually no press coverage that I saw, so it’s a little misleading to act like this guy is gonna be some kind of traditional outside WR for us. 

The second is the idea that he’s some perfect WR2. He’s had one season out of 4 where he put up solid WR2 numbers — and he was, in fact, their WR3 on that team. It’s a fairly significant projection to consider him a legit WR2. I think they should still be in the market for a WR in the first few rounds of the draft.

Not trying to be too much of a downer here. I’m very glad they added some explosiveness at the WR position, and much like Fitz, he’s really fun to watch at the very least. Always dangerous. I just thought there was a better way to handle the position, is all. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

What is Keim talking about? Why would we ever be daydreaming about formations where we don’t have McLaurin on the field? 

What JP is saying makes sense, we do use a lot of motion and we do have the ability to dictate mismatches with our personnel — but a world where we’re forcing McLaurin off the field for a bunch of guys who can’t hold his jock, just because they are more “versatile,” is not a world I want to live in. My guy Keim is caught up in the frenzy, I suppose.