2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

I havent felt that its very likely but I am thinking the odds of Houston getting Lebron are going up every day.

It would be extremely tough, and would take gutting the roster, and convincing CP3 to take about 20 million a year, but its possible

Assuming it takes 40 million next year to get Lebron to sign a 1/1 deal, the rockets would be hard pressed to get the room.

Harden is getting 30

Capela has a cap hold of 6

Lebron at 40

thats 76 million of a 101 million cap. That leaves 20 million for CP3, and vet minimums for everyone else. 

That means trading Nene, Tucker, Gordon, and Anderson. Nene, Tucker and Gordon are all on extremely tradable deals. Anderson will only have 2 years left after this season. Come July, we could attach a 2019 unprotected 1st to him and have him gone. 

We get Luc Mbah a Moute to resign again to the same deals. Give Capela whatever we have to in RFA

CP3/Harden/James/Moute/Capela

Take out MLE and sign a guy like JJ Reddick who after cashing in for over 20 million this year will probably take the MLE to join this team.

Gerald Green will sign a vet minimum. Maybe sign a back up big like Tyson Chandler if he reaches a buy out from the Suns. 

maybe even add Dwayne Wade to the mix as a 4th guard. Then watch as vets wanting a ring come and sign away. 

If Lebron wanted to really chase a ring, he could come for 30 million and give them the Durant Discount, and possibly keep Eric Gordon

I think CP3 would take whatever he had to take for Lebron to come to Houston....question is whether Lebron is willing to take less than a max.

His options for competing with the Warriors next year are extremely limited. There are only maybe 4 or 5 teams he would put them over the top of the warriors....maybe. The Spurs, Rockets, maybe Raptors, The bucks could create the space for him. The Thunder can't really keep Melo and PG and still have the room for Lebron within reason.

His list of places to go is not going to get any better. Maybe he goes to the 76ers? I doubt that. 

At this point i would say the odds are that hes staying in Cleveland, especially since i think they still make the finals. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And teams like the Cavs that go all in and ignore the future usually have small windows.

I would argue almost every team does this. The early 90's Bulls did it, the early 2000s Lakers did it, the 80's Celtics did it with Walton, and the 80's Lakers did it as well. There are obvious exceptions like the Spurs and perhaps the Warriors, but for the most part you have a 5 year window, max.

They rather re-sign veteran players that give them a chance to win now, but eventually those veteran players become useless.

If LeBron left in the fashion that he did with the reasoning he used, how foolish would you be to make the same mistake twice, when that's what he wanted? I'm sure he had a LOT of assurances from ownership and the FO to come back.

They had a good run at it, and still may make the finals with a few tweaks to the roster. What sucks is they gave up on a guy who would have been the future in Kyrie once LeBron left or retired. 

Most of us loved Kyrie. That said, he didn't want to be here, with or without LeBron. Better to move him and get some value in return than otherwise.

I never said the Cavs shouldn't have done it the way they did, just that this is expected when you go the route they chose to go too. Value veterans over youngsters and the window gets smaller and smaller. The reason it had potential to go longer was they had another young star waiting in the wings to take over the reigns once he was given the opportunity to do so. Regardless of if he wanted to be here or not, technically they didn't have to trade him. They would have risked him leaving in two years, but plenty of players have wanted to leave but the ownership didn't grant their wishes. Heck, you had Kobe going on damn near every radio show requesting a trade and Buss stayed put and it ended up working out. This isn't to disparage the Cavs or anything because as Mossburg said, they had a nice run. Not many teams make it to the finals in back to back years, let alone back to back to back years. 

1 minute ago, MookieMonster said:

God I hope he does. Lebron doesn't defer, and basically ran Kyrie out of town for having the nuts to control the offense sometimes.

I would KILL to see him, Harden and CP3 try to play together.

I think that is a myth that he ran Kyrie out of town by controlling the offense. He actually deferred to Kyrie plenty last year and both had similar usage rates. There were other factors that made Kyrie want to leave though. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think that is a myth that he ran Kyrie out of town by controlling the offense. He actually deferred to Kyrie plenty last year and both had similar usage rates. There were other factors that made Kyrie want to leave though. 

Yea, that's a ridiculous claim. Never confirmed AFAIK, and if Kyrie actually thought that, then he's a doofus.

54 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

God I hope he does. Lebron doesn't defer, and basically ran Kyrie out of town for having the nuts to control the offense sometimes.

I would KILL to see him, Harden and CP3 try to play together.

Lebron would scrap dantonis offense day one and force harden and cp3 to stand the corner.

33 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Lebron would scrap dantonis offense day one and force harden and cp3 to stand the corner.

the rockets offense is basically the Cavs offense. It's mostly just PnR and Harden (sometimes CP3) isos. Harden is just better at running it than Lebron is in the regular season. Plus Capela is a better roller than anyone on the Cavs, so that helps it flow better.

6 hours ago, Mossburg said:

Cavs regular season was in disarray 2 years ago, bottoming out when they got slammed by the Warriors at home and fired their coach right after.

Cavs regular season was in disarray 1 year ago, when their defense was now a mess and they couldn't even grab the #1 seed.

Cavs regular season this year is even in bigger disarray as they basically have slumped the entire time outside of one quality run and are more likely to not have home court in round 1 than they are a top seed.

Playoff success in previous years was fairly similar I'd say come playoffs in the East, but the Warriors got better while they were worse and it was clearly on display when they met, despite the Cavs playing pretty insane individual ball for a few stretches in that series.

I do agree with the people who say that this year is different and the situation feels a lot worse, but I dunno if it matters in East playoffs all that much if they can flip the switch like they did last year. I'm honestly not sure if that switch exists this year as their defense looks even worse and other teams improved, and they might actually not get playoff byes like they've had in the earlier rounds if they finish 3rd or worse. Not gonna bother discussing a potential Finals rerererematch

Yup. Even though they’re worse then last season, I remember all the hot takes about the Cavs not making it back to the Finals when they were struggling and the historical stats that supposedly backed that up. At the end of the day, the Cavs still have LeBron, who no other Eastern Conference player comes close to touching. And in that conference, that’s enough. 

The only way I can see the Cavs not reaching the Finals is if LeBron nails it in with a half hearted effort like he had the last time he was set on leaving Cleveland. Which is definitely possible

Archived