Lions sign RB Jamaal Williams

Louis Friend

Maybe the plan is to use him more as RB1B and give Swift more time in the slot as a receiver. If that's the case, then you need to have an effective guy in the backfield. 

He also gets to play GB twice a year, which might help motivate him. 

It's a contract that maxes out at $3.75M/year and I'm sure there's a bunch of incentives that would be very helpful for us in order to pay him that much. It's probably closer to a $2 - $2.5M/year deal.

Not bad; someone has to be able to stay some carries away from Swift just so he can stay fresh and healthy. Williams is a solid back even if this is a tad pricey. It at least fills a need and prevents us from having to pick someone in the draft this year. 

6 hours ago, Lions017 said:

Not bad; someone has to be able to stay some carries away from Swift just so he can stay fresh and healthy. Williams is a solid back even if this is a tad pricey. It at least fills a need and prevents us from having to pick someone in the draft this year. 

Staley will take Swift "next level".

"D'Andre Swift. Saw him in high school. We all seen him at Georgia and what he brought to the table -- just a complete back that was able to do it all," Staley explained. "First-down, second-down, third-down. He's the guy that you want to keep on the field. He brings problems to the defense, and his skill set is good. So, I can't wait to work with him, and hopefully, I can take it to a whole other level. That's my goal."

0:09/0:50

Like many that have reviewed film of Swift, Staley has been impressed with how effortless the second-year running back makes the game appear. 

"It's effortless. I've turned the film on, and I was watching some of the plays the other day. You can see how linebackers just back off of him. You can see linebackers are not so quick to come downhill and put their hands on him because he can make them miss. So, those are some of the things when I go to build a cut up, I can show him how he is viewed or how linebackers see him in this league -- which is very important," Staley commented. 

Dan Campbell has also discussed using Swift in the slot and exposing mismatches on the field. Swift is going to be on the field ALOT more now. The Lions need a capable RB behind Swift to pair with him. IMO, this speaks volumes about what they think of Kerryon. If they don't see Kerryon on a valuable reliable back, and don't want to spent draft capital on a RB with so many holes elsewhere, I can see why signing a guy like Williams would be ideal. We also don't know how the contract is structured and what incentives are on there. All we've seen so far is "up to" $7.5 million. I'm taking a wait and see approach with the contract, but i like the player fit.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 9:39 PM, NFL_Fan said:

I like Jamal! Reliable. Can do it all. Hope he does well and stays healthy. At least this draft we arne't in a horrible situation taking RB way to early again. 

"With the number seven pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions select Najee Harris, Running Back, Alabama"

Us:

Tv Land Reaction GIF by #Impastor

• Like 1