Bills sign QB Mitch Trubisky (1 year deal, $2.5M)

RaidersAreOne

14 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

The contracts isn’t really a good argument. Not unless the Bills offered Flacco or a different QB more money then they signed Trubisky for. Which they didn’t. 

Guys on the open market get overpaid  early or end up taking 1 year prove it type deals. Trubisky is clearly the latter. 

The way you speak about him In absolutes wreaks of a sour Bears fans. Which, I get, your front office made a horrible selection and that sucks. But a change of scenery has helped young QBs and players before. Trubisky could be that. 

Well put and I 99% agree. A lot is being a sour Bears fan. I also don't think the signing helps your QB room. He doesn't help Allen at all in the QB room and any time taken away from Allen to help Mitch is not time well spent. If you look at your receivers, TEs, OL and RBs; it's not a huge difference between Chi and Buf.  As far as contracts go typically guess tend to wait a bit longer before settling for a prove it deal. Also he has no chance to prove anything on the field. If I'm signing Mitch it's if I have. A TB12 he can learn from and not take that time away from another young QB. Also if a team is dumb enough to give him a contract next year then their is a potential comp pick so as an asset I understand it more than the quality of the player.

5 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

The Bears didn’t choose Dalton over Trubisky, they settled for Dalton over Trubisky. After what happened one Botha sides of the Trubisky/coaches the last two years he was never coming back and they were never bringing him back. My personal feelings on him is that right now he is a low end start with potential to be an average starter with the right coaching, which the Bills like to be a great spot to develop a QB. I believe that is why he went there, and he even supposedly took less money to go there. Whether that is true is another story. 

We sprinted to the fire station to dump baby Mitch off as fast as we could. Dalton happened to be the best option that was actually available that wasn't going to cost us picks.  Dalton is in a different tier than Mitch. Dalton gives us a chance to stretch the field and keep a D honest. He at least can do some of the things we want our QB to do.  With Mitch once we had to throw down field it got ugly. Dalton at least moves the needle inside the pocket. It's like if Alabama went from Jalan Hurts to Mac Jones. 

13 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

Well put and I 99% agree. A lot is being a sour Bears fan. I also don't think the signing helps your QB room. He doesn't help Allen at all in the QB room and any time taken away from Allen to help Mitch is not time well spent. If you look at your receivers, TEs, OL and RBs; it's not a huge difference between Chi and Buf.  As far as contracts go typically guess tend to wait a bit longer before settling for a prove it deal. Also he has no chance to prove anything on the field. If I'm signing Mitch it's if I have. A TB12 he can learn from and not take that time away from another young QB. Also if a team is dumb enough to give him a contract next year then their is a potential comp pick so as an asset I understand it more than the quality of the player.

It absolutely helps the QB room. He’s an upgrade over Barkley as a player and he’s closer physically to JA then Barkley is. 

He doesn’t have “No chance” to prove it on the field. Allen missed 4 games as a rookie, suffered a concussion in year 2 and played through a shoulder injury last year. He gets hit a lot. Chances are sooner than later he’s going to miss at least a game if not significant time. If that happens in 2021 Trubisky will have the chance to show everyone he can run Daboll offense. It’s also a year long audition for Trubisky to show Daboll, Ken Dorsey or any other Bills coaching staff/front office member that potentially goes to another team next year in need of a QB.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I think you and I have watched two different Andy Dalton's or something. This is the same guy who spent his career with the Bengals, right?

Just let this guy have this one. I think he needs a little positivity in his life. If he wants to think that a QB who never had a strong arm now has a rocket launcher at 33 years of age, we should let him.

Besides, it’ll be funnier to watch the sadness slowly work its way through this man throughout the season. 

On 3/27/2021 at 9:19 AM, Damikeeeee said:

I know @Trentwannabe already summed this up pretty well but just to pile on a bit more here.  

Signing a backup QB isn't about helping the starter.  It's about helping the team by adding depth in case the starter has to miss time for any reason (which backup QB seems to be very underrated by the vast majority of fans).

Having a good backup QB in this league is a huge advantage and one that could mean the difference between a team making the playoffs or not. Or, in the example of Philly, the difference between winning a SB or not.  

For more reference, see the Saints in 2019 when Brees went down and Teddy played well enough to keep them in the playoff hunt.  Conversely, look at the Steelers when Ben went down during the same year and they didn't have good enough depth to stay afloat.  Just imagine how far the Raiders would've gone in the playoffs in '16 or 17 (or whenever it was) if they had a good backup QB when Carr went down late in the season?  How about the Packers in '17 or '18?  How about the 49ers last year?

The point is, this is the type of forward thinking Daboll is using here by signing Mitch as a QB.  He's not using Mitch as some kind of fuel for Allen, or as a possible replacement or anything like that, but merely as an insurance policy. 

Regardless of how you feel about him as a starter. Mitch is still a young, former 2nd overall pick with potential, and you could do alot worse as a backup QB.

You know I've never been a fan of him, and I hated it when we drafted him. But even I wouldn't have mind keeping him as a backup (although that was never going to happen) because his ceiling is that of low-end starter and will probably level out at around a high-end career backup. 

• Like 2

On 3/28/2021 at 8:35 AM, LinebackerGod said:

Just let this guy have this one. I think he needs a little positivity in his life. If he wants to think that a QB who never had a strong arm now has a rocket launcher at 33 years of age, we should let him.

Besides, it’ll be funnier to watch the sadness slowly work its way through this man throughout the season. 

The things you say have nothing to do with anything haha and your use of hyperbole is hilarious 😂😂