Week 8 | Other Games Thread

IDOG_det

GOTW  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which should be the Game Of The Week?

• #19 Michigan @ #2 Penn State
    • #11 USC @ #13 Notre Dame

Just now, devils1854 said:

Lets be honest. A Georgia fan speaking to a Florida/South Carolina guy.

Mac isnt leaving this year. He will get 2018 to do his thing. You dont fire a guy that won 2 of 3 SEC East championships, no matter the circumstances. It goes on about your rant to LSU fans about Les Miles and Georgia with Richt.

It's not similar to my rant about Miles or Richt. Miles and Richt were very good to great coaches who won big games and had great years. They just got a bit stale due to their tenure. McElwain is mediocre coach who has feasted on the weakness in the division and gotten blown out by almost every quality team he's faced. And this year, without Muschamp's recruits and Geoff Collins, things are completely falling apart. He's consistently failed at his one job, the offense.

You absolutely fire a guy when it's clear he's not good enough to get the job done. It won't surprise me if Florida doesn't because they also were dumb enough to give Muschamp four years after a 4-8 season, but let's not play it off as an excusable decision. It's a cowardly move.

I hope McElwain does us all a favor and leaves on his own, but if he doesn't, Florida needs to nut up and fire him. They have a shot at some really awesome coaches this year. They'd be stupid to set the program back another year by keeping an ineffective coach.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's not similar to my rant about Miles or Richt. Miles and Richt were very good to great coaches who won big games and had great years. They just got a bit stale due to their tenure. McElwain is mediocre coach who has feasted on the weakness in the division and gotten blown out by almost every quality team he's faced. And this year, without Muschamp's recruits and Geoff Collins, things are completely falling apart. He's consistently failed at his one job, the offense.

You absolutely fire a guy when it's clear he's not good enough to get the job done. It won't surprise me if Florida doesn't because they also were dumb enough to give Muschamp four years after a 4-8 season, but let's not play it off as an excusable decision. It's a cowardly move.

I hope McElwain does us all a favor and leaves on his own, but if he doesn't, Florida needs to nut up and fire him. They have a shot at some really awesome coaches this year. They'd be stupid to set the program back another year by keeping an ineffective coach.

Ive heard those rumors about Mac going back west to Oregon State. Not sure I believe him.

Doesnt matter, Bob Stoops will be your coach in 2019. Gives him two years off with the family, and he's back to his former place.

12 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

Ive heard those rumors about Mac going back west to Oregon State. Not sure I believe him.

Doesnt matter, Bob Stoops will be your coach in 2019. Gives him two years off with the family, and he's back to his former place.

You just want another year where you can coast through the SEC East. ;)

12 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

I need to go to bed. I’ve got some Brett Hundley watching to do in 7 hours. :D:|:(

I want to watch him too, but the stupid London game means the Rams are on at the same time.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

You just want another year where you can coast through the SEC East. ;)

I want to watch him too, but the stupid London game means the Rams are on at the same time.

Next year could be tough for Georgia.

Fromm, Swift, Godwin, Hardman, Woerner, Thomas, Gaillard, Baker, and Kindley will be back on offense, but the defense will definitely lose Atkins, Carter, Bellamy, Smith, Parrish, Sanders, and Davis. Thats 7 defensive starters, and could be 8 if Trent Thompson doesnt come back.

We do have Kirby and the best recruiting staff in the nation($$$$), and the best high school player ever(Fields), so the East might be easy to obtain.

6 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

Next year could be tough for Georgia.

Fromm, Swift, Godwin, Hardman, Woerner, Thomas, Gaillard, Baker, and Kindley will be back on offense, but the defense will definitely lose Atkins, Carter, Bellamy, Smith, Parrish, Sanders, and Davis. Thats 7 defensive starters, and could be 8 if Trent Thompson doesnt come back.

We do have Kirby and the best recruiting staff in the nation($$$$), and the best high school player ever(Fields), so the East might be easy to obtain.

I'm not sure what Fields is thinking. I guess he could take the job from Fromm, but that'll mean Fromm transfers (I expect Eason transferring is a done deal). Kind of feels like Georgia should be focusing it's recruiting resources elsewhere, but maybe the kid is just that good and worth it.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not sure what Fields is thinking. I guess he could take the job from Fromm, but that'll mean Fromm transfers (I expect Eason transferring is a done deal). Kind of feels like Georgia should be focusing it's recruiting elsewhere, but maybe the kid is just that good and worth it.

I feel like a team should sign a QB every year. Georgia lost LeMay and Park to transfer, so the team is low on numbers this year, and if Eason transfers, the team will have two on scholarship next year.

I dont know if you remember back when Richt first became coach but he has David Greene as QB and signed 5* DJ Shockley. Greene started but Shockley had a package for every game.....Now if Fields is as good as everyone thinks he is, he will take that starting job because Kirby doesnt play favorites. The best player will play no matter what.

If you want to talk about other spots for the team that Fields could take up

• RB-Zamir White(#1 RB), and probably 4* James Cook
  • WR-2 4*, have two 5* already committed for 2019
  • TE-3* committed, still trying for Luke Ford but that ship might have sailed. still have 3 4-5* back
  • OT-none committed, maybe 3* from Oklahoma but he is seen as OG, already took 4 in past two classes
  • OG/C-2 committed with 5* Jamaree Sayler coming
  • DT-2 committed, pretty much done here
  • DE-1 3* committed, depending on how they see OLBs working out
  • OLB-3 committed, 3 4* and maybe a 5* coming
  • ILB-none now, going to flip 4* from Michigan
  • CB/S-2 committed, this is the position that needs work. Maybe 2 more 4* coming.
  • K/P-one of the top guys committed

Pretty much got everything we need for this year, and 2019 will be the year we reach #1 in all of college for recruiting class.

Just now, devils1854 said:

I feel like a team should sign a QB every year. Georgia lost LeMay and Park to transfer, so the team is low on numbers this year, and if Eason transfers, the team will have two on scholarship next year.

I agree.

I dont know if you remember back when Richt first became coach but he has David Greene as QB and signed 5* DJ Shockley. Greene started but Shockley had a package for every game.....Now if Fields is as good as everyone thinks he is, he will take that starting job because Kirby doesnt play favorites. The best player will play no matter what.

Fields doesn't strike me as a kid who will sit there for two or three years and wait for his opportunity. Which is why I think it would make more sense to go after a QB who would sit there and be developed. My issue is that Fromm has looked great. Let's assume the best case scenario: Fields wins the starting job. Fromm transfers. You'll end up looking silly if Fromm develops into the better QB. You would have spent all that effort on Fields when you had the better QB already. 

If you want to talk about other spots for the team that Fields could take up

• RB-Zamir White(#1 RB), and probably 4* James Cook
  • WR-2 4*, have two 5* already committed for 2019
  • TE-3* committed, still trying for Luke Ford but that ship might have sailed. still have 3 4-5* back
  • OT-none committed, maybe 3* from Oklahoma but he is seen as OG, already took 4 in past two classes
  • OG/C-2 committed with 5* Jamaree Sayler coming
  • DT-2 committed, pretty much done here
  • DE-1 3* committed, depending on how they see OLBs working out
  • OLB-3 committed, 3 4* and maybe a 5* coming
  • ILB-none now, going to flip 4* from Michigan
  • CB/S-2 committed, this is the position that needs work. Maybe 2 more 4* coming.
  • K/P-one of the top guys committed

Pretty much got everything we need for this year, and 2019 will be the year we reach #1 in all of college for recruiting class.

I'm not worried about the spot as much as I am worried about the time and effort it will take to hold onto Fields until he signs his LOI. Georgia has a true freshman QB played out of his mind. I just wouldn't be going gung ho after a guy who is going to want to immediately start. It'll put you in a situation where it's either Fromm or Fields transferring imo. I'd go after a guy who is okay with sitting and developing.

But hey, if Fields is the next big thing, it might be worth it. He might end up being better than Fromm. In that case, you won't miss Fromm.

4 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Here's how you make the SEC relevant again

Bama, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt all have coaches that are set

• Arkansas-Jeff Brohm
  • Ole Miss-Dave Doeren
  • Auburn-sorry Gus is staying
  • LSU-see Auburn
  • Tennessee-Lane Kiffin
  • Missouri-Mike Bobo
  • Texas A&M-Chad Morris
  • Florida-Scott Frost

SHUT THE **** UP THAT'S UNCALLED FOR

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not sure what Fields is thinking. I guess he could take the job from Fromm, but that'll mean Fromm transfers (I expect Eason transferring is a done deal). Kind of feels like Georgia should be focusing it's recruiting resources elsewhere, but maybe the kid is just that good and worth it.

If you're UGA it's a no-brainer to take him. Everybody needs to take 1 QB per cycle, and every couple cycles you take 2. 

If you're Fields and you're as good as people think he is, depth charts don't really matter. Even if Fromm gets the bulk of the time, they'll have packages for Fields so he won't just be holding a clip board.

Archived