Week 8 | Other Games Thread

IDOG_det

GOTW  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which should be the Game Of The Week?

• #19 Michigan @ #2 Penn State
    • #11 USC @ #13 Notre Dame

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

They're not exactly powerhouses, at least on a year-to-year basis.  They might be quality opponents, but Wisconsin has been the class of the Big 10 West almost by default.  Since the realignment in the Big 10 (2013), there has been only one season where Wisconsin hasn't won the West division.  That was in 2015 when Iowa went 12-2, including 8-0 in the conference with their lone losses being against Michigan State in the Big 10 championship game and Stanford in their bowl game.

Neither are Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA or Colorado but nobody discredits USC. Neither are Georgia Tech, Va Tech, Virginia, Pitt, Duke or UNC but if Miami was a top tier program (and they’re getting back to it), nobody would discredit them. Nobody discredited late 90s Nebraska for their division. 

Literally, outside of the B1G West and the SEC West, these divisions aren’t stacked. To act like it’s only a problem in the B1G is asinine. 

Just because Wisconsin isn’t inept like some top teams in weaker divisions doesn’t mean it’s only an issue with them. 

59 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Neither are Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA or Colorado but nobody discredits USC. Neither are Georgia Tech, Va Tech, Virginia, Pitt, Duke or UNC but if Miami was a top tier program (and they’re getting back to it), nobody would discredit them. Nobody discredited late 90s Nebraska for their division. 

Literally, outside of the B1G West and the SEC West, these divisions aren’t stacked. To act like it’s only a problem in the B1G is asinine. 

Just because Wisconsin isn’t inept like some top teams in weaker divisions doesn’t mean it’s only an issue with them. 

When was the last time USC consistently ran the table in their own conference?  Colorado won it last year, USC won it in 2015 due to H2H,  and they finished 4th in the division in 2014.  If USC consistently won their division, we'd be absolutely having that same discussion.  But nobody cares about them since they're only relevant every other year apparently. It's not discrediting, it's just pointing out the facts.

And I'm not saying anything about being stacked, we're talking about them routinely not being challenged.  Teams are due for "down" years from time-to-time, which is why it's kinda strange that Wisconsin hasn't faced one of those.  Either they've got an elite program (they don't), or they're playing in a poor division.

44 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

When was the last time USC consistently ran the table in their own conference?  Colorado won it last year, USC won it in 2015 due to H2H,  and they finished 4th in the division in 2014.  If USC consistently won their division, we'd be absolutely having that same discussion.  But nobody cares about them since they're only relevant every other year apparently. It's not discrediting, it's just pointing out the facts.

And I'm not saying anything about being stacked, we're talking about them routinely not being challenged.  Teams are due for "down" years from time-to-time, which is why it's kinda strange that Wisconsin hasn't faced one of those.  Either they've got an elite program (they don't), or they're playing in a poor division.

We went 8-6 5 years ago...

Again, we’re also “not challenged” because we’re not inept. We aren’t an inconsistent football team. USC gets “challenged” because they are inconsistent. 

Remember when we were going to go 6-6 last year? When we were “challenged,” we still won 11 games. 

1.Alabama
2.Georgia
3.TCU
4.Penn State
5.Wisconsin
6.Miami
7.Notre Dame
8.Clemson
9.Oklahoma
10.Ohio State
11.Central Florida
12.Virginia Tech
13.North Carolina State
14.Washington State
15.Michigan State
16.Washington
17.Oklahoma State
18.South Florida
19.Memphis
20.USC
21.Stanford
22.LSU
23.Auburn
24.Iowa State
25.West Virginia

• I think Bama is the best team in the nation, but Georgia right now has the best win(Notre Dame) so Im tempted to have them at #1
  • Have no clue how to rank Miami. I feel like they should be around 15 or so, but they just keep winning.
  • The two loss teams from 20-27 are pretty close, so I could see reordering them in a lot of ways

Selections if the season ended today

Sugar-1.Alabama vs 4.Penn State
Rose-2.Georgia vs 3.TCU

Fiesta-Washington vs Notre Dame
Cotton-Oklahoma vs Washington State
Orange-Miami vs Ohio State
Peach-Clemson vs Central Florida

Selections and bowls playing the season out

Sugar-1.Alabama vs 4.Oklahoma
Rose-2.Ohio State vs 3.Clemson

Fiesta-Washington vs Wisconsin
Cotton-TCU vs LSU
Orange-Notre Dame vs Penn State
Peach-Georgia vs Central Florida

New Orleans-Troy vs Texas San Antonio
Cure-UAB vs South Alabama
Las Vegas-Colorado State vs Arizona
New Mexico-Florida Atlantic vs San Diego State
Camellia-Arkansas State vs Ohio
Holiday-Washington State vs Iowa
Boca Raton-Louisiana Tech vs Houston
Frisco-Akron vs North Texas
Gasparilla-Marshall vs Navy
Bahamas-Western Michigan vs Florida International
Idaho Potato-Northern Illinois vs Wyoming
Birmingham-Vanderbilt vs Memphis
Armed Forces-Army vs Oregon
Dollar General-Appalachian State vs Toledo
Hawaii-Boise State vs SMU
Heart of Dallas-Southern Miss vs Kansas State
Quick Lane-Central Michigan vs Western Kentucky
Cactus-UCLA vs Texas Tech
Independence-Utah vs Wake Forest
Pinstripe-Northwestern vs Syracuse
Foster Farms-Fresno State vs Arizona State
Texas-Oklahoma State vs Texas A&M
Military-South Florida vs Georgia Tech
Camping World-Miami vs Texas
Alamo-USC vs West Virginia
Belk-South Carolina vs Virginia Tech
Sun-Stanford vs North Carolina State
Music City-Tennessee vs Louisville
TaxSlayer-Florida vs Purdue
Liberty-Kentucky vs Iowa State
Arizona-Air Force vs New Mexico State
Outback-Mississippi State vs Michigan
Citrus-Auburn vs Michigan State

2 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

I’m assuming Oklahoma is solely ahead of Ohio State due to H2H? Cuz nothing about what they’ve done on the field since then says they’re better...

Ohio State best win is at Indiana. Based on resume, they're clearly not a top 10 team at this point. I think OSU is good, and they will get a chance to prove it against PSU, OSU, Michigan and Iowa, which are all better team than Indiana, Maryland, Army and other bad teams OSU have beaten at this point.

I'm basing my rankings purely on resume, which allows me to get rid of preseason expectations, program power etc, but in season, it leads to some weird rankings due to SoS (for instance, I have Bama #6 purely due to a weak schedule, when I'm fairly confident they're the best team in FBS). Our biggest differences @devils1854 are UCF, which I have ranked #4 (this ranking will come down once Bama, PSU, OSU, Miami and Wisconsin start playing some good teams), NC State which I have at #23 (best win vs Syracuse, lost to South Car) and UW that I have at #24 (same story, their best wins are at Colorado and vs Cal).

Out of curiosity, where do you have Texas A&M ranked? They have a decent win vs South Carolina, and lost twice to Bama (and did not get blown out unlike all the other teams Bama faced) and UCLA in a semi-fluky game

11 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

Again, we’re also “not challenged” because we’re not inept. We aren’t an inconsistent football team. USC gets “challenged” because they are inconsistent. 

Remember when we were going to go 6-6 last year? When we were “challenged,” we still won 11 games. 

I'm not comparing us to Bama in any way, but the SEC West is garbage because Saban has basically processed every single coach in that division. And even if Gus is still around you have dudes like @catcheryea who are just so lost in helplessness that it's not going to change.

That's pretty much what Wisconsin has done in the BIG West. Nebraska was supposed to be a relevant program, and we processed Pelini. Iowa was supposed to be good, but now we get any Iowa kid that we want. We've beaten Minnesota a billion straight times. Every program in the B1G West except Iowa is stuck hiring and firing coaches every 3 years, and no program is 3 years away from being competitive with us. So it's a vicious cycle and kind of puts a glass ceiling on the program unless we schedule exceptionally well in non-conference and get a lucky cross over game or two.

10 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm not comparing us to Bama in any way, but the SEC West is garbage because Saban has basically processed every single coach in that division. And even if Gus is still around you have dudes like @catcheryea who are just so lost in helplessness that it's not going to change.

yeah we're hitting new lows every week

17 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

Also, if the season ended today, how would we not be in a NY6 game? :|

Knew I missed something. Id say Wisconsin would be in the Fiesta against Washington. Probably move Notre Dame into the game against Oklahoma for the "name."

15 hours ago, TedLavie said:

Ohio State best win is at Indiana. Based on resume, they're clearly not a top 10 team at this point. I think OSU is good, and they will get a chance to prove it against PSU, OSU, Michigan and Iowa, which are all better team than Indiana, Maryland, Army and other bad teams OSU have beaten at this point.

I'm basing my rankings purely on resume, which allows me to get rid of preseason expectations, program power etc, but in season, it leads to some weird rankings due to SoS (for instance, I have Bama #6 purely due to a weak schedule, when I'm fairly confident they're the best team in FBS). Our biggest differences @devils1854 are UCF, which I have ranked #4 (this ranking will come down once Bama, PSU, OSU, Miami and Wisconsin start playing some good teams), NC State which I have at #23 (best win vs Syracuse, lost to South Car) and UW that I have at #24 (same story, their best wins are at Colorado and vs Cal).

Out of curiosity, where do you have Texas A&M ranked? They have a decent win vs South Carolina, and lost twice to Bama (and did not get blown out unlike all the other teams Bama faced) and UCLA in a semi-fluky game

26th or 27th with Miss State

Archived