Raiders re-sign CB Nevin Lawson

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Exactly, not really worried about this signing. In theory, a better pass rush should help him. I wanted to upgrade but didn't really want to spend so much on CB with all the draft capital. Lawson is only 5'9 we should play him in the open Slot spot, be a good battle for Amik. Someone Amik could beat out, but Lawson isn't horrible. Move makes sense

Yeah Lawson is versatile and a good depth piece.

35 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Got your boy!

Because I trust your view on players, I was more tuned in to Lawson this season - and while certainly no world beater, he was pretty steady and I am absolutely in agreement that he is a good player to have around. So long as he’s not a starter. He’s a pretty reliable option to call on if needed 

Exactly, we can't have Pro Bowlers at every position and if we can add a vet CB like Dunbar as well maybe and draft an impact FS I feel our defensive backfield will be solid at least. If (and it's a big IF) the pass rush can improve then their jobs will be made so much easier too. It means we're not desperate for CB going into the draft and we can be flexible and not telegraph what were doing.

7 hours ago, NickButera said:

Good under the radar signing, he showed some quality play last year, albeit wasn't perfect.  If we can add another piece the rotation isn't that bad.

Agreed. At some point Mullen and Arnette are going to have to live up to their draft position. We didn't invest a first round pick and an early second round pick into those two not to play. 

46 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, he's a solid veteran depth option, but we need to upgrade our secondary not stay stagnant. Hopefully Mullen, Arnette, Robertson, and Johnson can improve this year. 

You have to count on young players to some extent. I think Johnson will make a big jump in particular because he was basically a rookie due to injury and flashed a decent amount at cornerback.

41 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Lawson has the DJ Hayden gene. He's always there but never seems to make the play. However, he should be penciled in as the starting slot corner--and we could do worse.

Amik Robertson could be another potential starter at slot corner, as could Arnette if we add a CB in the draft or free agency.