FFMD 2021 WAR ROOM - Next OTC 12:00pm EST Friday

baltimoreRebel

7 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Has anyone had a look at Payton Turner, EDGE, Houston?  I haven't yet, but he's more highly rated on big boards than a number of the pass rushers listed in this thread so far, and the description of his play seems like the sort of EDGE that the Ravens have used in the last few years

I personally love him. Have done a couple posts about him in Ravens Draft Gen, and think he has ZDS/Chandler Jones type upside. Inside/Outside rusher with freakish length and developing toolbox. 

You're right, he's definitely a Ravens style pick and I've even joked about how we could potentially be taking another Houston EDGE player in the 2nd Round the same year we had Tyus Bowser hit free agency.

All that said, it's been pretty hard for me to get a read on his stock.

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

Our next pick is actually at a time when I'll be awake, so I'll post a big board closer to when we're OTC (considering we're still more than 24 hours away).

Has anyone had a look at Payton Turner, EDGE, Houston?  I haven't yet, but he's more highly rated on big boards than a number of the pass rushers listed in this thread so far, and the description of his play seems like the sort of EDGE that the Ravens have used in the last few years

I chuckled as I read this because I've watched nearly 3 hours of tape on this kid during the last week and fell in love with him. 

He plays too high sometimes needs to really get lower when rushing. Injury history scares me a bit with his legs. 

The kid is explosive though. Just a powerhouse and has a motor for days. I love the kid and he really fits the Raven mold. 

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

You're right, he's definitely a Ravens style pick and I've even joked about how we could potentially be taking another Houston EDGE player in the 2nd Round the same year we had Tyus Bowser hit free agency.

Now that you mention this, I do remember you saying that

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

All that said, it's been pretty hard for me to get a read on his stock.

He's been a bit of sleeper judging by the fact he hasn't been appearing in many mocks until recently, but his stock is definitely rising fast

turner.png

As an example of where he falls in some Big Boards I've seen
- PFF has him at 57 overall
- Dane Brugler of The Athletic has him at 59 overall & EDGE9
- Jon Ledyard of Pewter Report has him as an early 3rd rounder and EDGE5

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, drd23 said:

As an example of where he falls in some Big Boards I've seen
- PFF has him at 57 overall
- Dane Brugler of The Athletic has him at 59 overall & EDGE9
- Jon Ledyard of Pewter Report has him as an early 3rd rounder and EDGE5

On BR's Big Board released today, they have him #150 out of #150 and he's their 15th ranked DI which is... interesting. It's not a Matt Miller Big Board either, they have Brandon Thorn on there who's a well respected figure in the online scouting community. Thorn only tackled OT & IOL though, someone named Justis Mosqueda handled EDGE, DI, & LB. Payton's wasn't the only odd evaluation he had either. Rousseau as EDGE6 and Phillips as EDGE8 isn't too common an opinion.

13 hours ago, drd23 said:

Our next pick is actually at a time when I'll be awake, so I'll post a big board closer to when we're OTC (considering we're still more than 24 hours away).

I’ll admit that I’ve overlooked Turner. He certainly has a bigger build that Perkins. The tape I just watch surely shows his explosiveness. Though I’m curious if he can transition to a contributor early for us. I read on PFF the biggest knock on him is the talent that he lined up across from. He dominated games verse tackles that won’t come close to draft status. NFL is a new level for him.

Even though that sounds negative, he’s definitely a guy who could sniff 20% of defensive snaps and take a full year to adjust to NFL speed such as Bowser did. (More like 3 seasons for Tyus) 

Jaylon Ferguson reminds me a bit of what we would receive out of this selection. I still haven’t given up on Ferguson. He was similar in the sense that he needed time to adjust and didn’t come out of the gates hot. I do believe Turner offers more explosiveness than Ferguson did from a draft prospect standpoint. 

17 hours ago, DreamKid said:

On BR's Big Board released today, they have him #150 out of #150 and he's their 15th ranked DI which is... interesting. It's not a Matt Miller Big Board either, they have Brandon Thorn on there who's a well respected figure in the online scouting community. Thorn only tackled OT & IOL though, someone named Justis Mosqueda handled EDGE, DI, & LB. Payton's wasn't the only odd evaluation he had either. Rousseau as EDGE6 and Phillips as EDGE8 isn't too common an opinion.

Cant say Turner being ranked low offends my sensibilities tbqh. I’m not much a fan of Turner. Feel his feet are too slow and heavy. Looks like he’s running in sand when moving around and trying to use his COD abilities. The only redeemable quality I find with him is his length. He reminds me of Jaylon Ferguson. I’m much more a fan of Rashad Weaver, he’s got the requisite length and his technique is  very advanced for a prospect. I also find his athleticism and strengths of a similar quality to Zadarius Smith. Really like what I see there.

That said, I haven’t been as active with prospects as of late and so I feel I’m relying on opinions formed from months ago, so perhaps I’ll have renewed vigor with prospects once we get closer to the draft.

But just from what I remember, Turner wasn’t someone I was a big fan of. Was far too lumbering for my tastes.

16 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Really? Didn't know. That's cool for FF, even if I do find a few of the guy's takes a little out there.

I think he used to do the prospect cut-up videos for another site I don't remember the name of now. It's gone, but was a hit for a while. They had videos on lots of prospects. 

There's only 2 picks before we're OTC so now's probably a good time to start posting up Big Boards. 

Jalen Mayfield, Ronnie Perkins and Wyatt Davis who were all mentioned multiple times yesterday have been taken in the intervening 24 hours

I'm pretty concrete on Quinn Meinerz for the pick. Great IOL prospect who fits exactly what we want. 

If no one else wants him, I'll just roll with whatever the forum consensus EDGE pick is. Roche, Tryon, Turner, Weaver, etc. Whoever you guys want.

11 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I'm pretty concrete on Quinn Meinerz for the pick. Great IOL prospect who fits exactly what we want. 

If no one else wants him, I'll just roll with whatever the forum consensus EDGE pick is. Roche, Tryon, Turner, Weaver, etc. Whoever you guys want.

Meinerz is an absolute Mauler.

• Like 1

Just now, baltimoreRebel said:

Meinerz is an absolute Mauler.

Yea and he's #44 on DJ's Top 50 too. So decent value here.

Joe Tryon is DJ's #35 ranked player and might be the consensus highest ranked EDGE left too.

So either one would make sense for us now I guess.