Bears sign LB Christian Jones to a 1-year deal

AZBearsFan

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Jones >>> Manti Teo.

Veteran depth at ILB was definitely a need. 

am i the only one that thought manti wasn't terrible against the saints? yeah, he wasn't great in coverage, but it was also his first game in well over a year

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

am i the only one that thought manti wasn't terrible against the saints? yeah, he wasn't great in coverage, but it was also his first game in well over a year

He wasn’t bad, but he’s a fringe roster guy in the league right now because durability is a huge issue for him. Jones has missed just 4 games in 7 years overall and has been a full time starter 5 of the past 6 years. I’d be fine with Teo being back too as a reserve LB in 2021 if we’re not drafting a guy there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

He wasn’t bad, but he’s a fringe roster guy in the league right now because durability is a huge issue for him. Jones has missed just 4 games in 7 years overall and has been a full time starter 5 of the past 6 years. I’d be fine with Teo being back too as a reserve LB in 2021 if we’re not drafting a guy there.

agreed. i don't really see us focusing on MLB in the draft - far greater needs. that can be position that is backfilled with a UDFA or a late vet cut like KPL

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Seems like Bears fans were hating this guy just yesterday.   Memories are short.  

Memories must be short, because I remember us thinking we had an undrafted gem and were mad when he signed with the Lions....when did we hate an undrafted starter? haha.....special teams guy too

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

Memories must be short, because I remember us thinking we had an undrafted gem and were mad when he signed with the Lions....when did we hate an undrafted starter? haha.....special teams guy too

I can't find the articles, but I recall this guy was getting creamed in Chicago media back in day.   Couldn't cover, couldn't do anything.   He played better after he left Bears.  

This from Wiki: 

On December 20, 2015, head coach John Fox benched Jones for the Bears' Week 15 matchup at the Minnesota Vikings. He was benched due to his poor play in the last three games, but was reinserted in the starting lineup the next week after Shea McClellin was inactive after sustaining a concussion.[21] He finished the 2015 season with 86 combined tackles (62 solo) and four pass deflections in 15 games and 13 starts.[16] Pro Football Focus gaves Jones an overall grade of 65.2, which ranked 38th among all qualifying linebackers in 2015.[22]"

17 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I can't find the articles, but I recall this guy was getting creamed in Chicago media back in day.   Couldn't cover, couldn't do anything.   He played better after he left Bears.  

This from Wiki: 

On December 20, 2015, head coach John Fox benched Jones for the Bears' Week 15 matchup at the Minnesota Vikings. He was benched due to his poor play in the last three games, but was reinserted in the starting lineup the next week after Shea McClellin was inactive after sustaining a concussion.[21] He finished the 2015 season with 86 combined tackles (62 solo) and four pass deflections in 15 games and 13 starts.[16] Pro Football Focus gaves Jones an overall grade of 65.2, which ranked 38th among all qualifying linebackers in 2015.[22]"

Yeah I believe this, the fact he was starting over a 1st rounder as an undrafted guy AND got his spot BACK....I mean....not saying he is great, just didnt get why you said we hated him....solid guy and plays special teams......I did hate Shea McClellin though haha

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 5:15 PM, AZBearsFan said:

Jones >>> Manti Teo.

Veteran depth at ILB was definitely a need. 

Yep.  I thought this was a good move.  Hated to see him leave in FA to begin with.  He gets us another ILB who most likely on somewhat the same level as Kwiatloski was.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 7:18 PM, HuskieBear said:

I thought he filled in well. Being a draft bust will haunt him as much as the gf hoax though. 

Not saying anything about people here specifically, but people still crack jokes about it when he comes up. 

• Like 1