Week 7 GDT: Tampa Bay (2-3) @ Buffalo (3-2)

Trentwannabe

Image result for captain hookVS Image result for billy the buffalo

I was going to wait until tomorrows coffee to make this GDT but I am just too anxious and excited after the bye week!

Quick Stats:

The Bucs rank 31st against the pass
The Bills rank 30th in passing
Bills S Micah Hyde leads the league in INT (4)
Bucs WR Mike Evans has 3 touchdowns this season
The Bills WR's combined have 4

Fun Facts:

Despite playing 8 previous times, 2009 was the Bucs first visit to Buffalo ( a 33-20 loss for Tampa)
The Bucs are 7-3 against the Bills all time. 
Buffalo is 2-0 at home this season outscoring opponents 47-28.
Ryan Fitzpatrick is 3-2 against the Bills since being released by Buffalo in 2013.

5 Previous Games:

2013: Buffalo 6 @ Tampa Bay 27
2009: Tampa Bay 20 @ Buffalo 33
2005: Buffalo 3 @ Tampa Bay 19
2000: Buffalo 17 @ Tampa Bay 31
1991: Buffalo 10 @ Tampa Bay 17

Analysis: 

Whoo doggy. The bye week is over! If there was every a time to make a legitimate run, it is now. The Patriots should be a .500 team if not worse had the refs not screwed the Jets or called an incomplete catch again Houston. The Jets well good, aren't as good as the Bills and Miami is hot and cold right now. It aint going to be easy but games like this Sunday is one the Bills need to win and should win to be taken seriously. 

The Bucs do not seem to be living up the pre-season hype of contending for the division or even a Super Bowl. QB Jameis Winston is now hurt and it has been reported he will not throw all week. His status for Sunday is unclear. If he can't go, the trigger happy Fitzpatrick will make another start against the Bills. The Bucs are 30th in the run game which does not bold well for them as Buffalo's defense has been stout all season. If Tampa is forced to throw a lot, it could be a long day for the Buccaneers. 

Buffalo is coming off their bye week following a disappointing loss to Cincinnati. The Bills defense has been a pleasant surprise and at times down right dominant unit under HC Sean McDermott and DC Leslie Frazier. However, it is the same old same old with the Bills offense as Tyrod Taylor has continued to prove he is just good enough to keep a team afloat but nothing more. Shady McCoy has had a real tough time getting going this season, likely in large part because of the zone read that has been implemented which does not fit the OL skill set as well. Buffalo's WR are non existent and their best weapons (Clay, Mathews) are more than likely out for this game. 

If the Bills can find a way to throw the ball well enough against a poor defense, they could dominate the game. Nick O'leary and Zay Jones will need to earn their paycheck this week. The Bills have begun incorporating more man power schemes in the run game, so hopefully we see evidence of that working this weekend. I expect Fitz to have some magic should he play, including a touchdown pass or two to Mike Evans and/or Cameron Brate. However, he will do what he does best and end up throwing the game away. I think the Bills offense gets back on track this weekend and the defense continues to dominate in all the main areas. Bucs 17, Bills 37.

If Winston was playing, I'd expect a fairly close game:

Buccaneers 20 (90 yds rushing, 265 yds passing, 1 turnover)

Bills 24 (105 yds rushing, 235 yds passing, 1 Turnover)

But now with Fitz in there, I feel more confident...The devil you know, etc.

Buccaneers 17 (85 yds rushing, 250 yds passing, 2 turnovers)

Bills 27 (115 yds rushing, 255 yds passing, 1 turnover)

This game will be followed by several comments about how Taylor has suddenly "got it". Whatever. The Buc's D is almost as bad as the Patriots.

1 hour ago, marshawn lynch said:

Should be Bills win but who knows with this team... our offense is to bad to blow out teams. It will keep the Bucs in it to the end.

Pretty much my thoughts. We're going to need a big game from Zay and/or O'Leary. I saw Matthews is back in practice though, any idea if he can play?

It is funny how easily we can forget and or become sour. I am guilty of it too no doubt. But two weeks ago who on this board would have said this is a potential loss because "we're the Bills".

I get it, the loss in Cincy sucked but we were without Clay and Mathews and our D gave up big plays which they hadn't been doing all year. The Bengals also do not appear to be slouches themselves anymore and could be 3-3 after this week. 

I have 100% faith that McD got this team refocused and ready during the bye (his mentor is like 17-2 after Byes). If Mathews plays, which is looking good, then I expect our Offense to look like it did against Atlanta but more consistent as we are at home and playing a weaker D.

These next 4 games are all winnable and could really help the Bills make the ever so needed playoff push. 

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

It is funny how easily we can forget and or become sour. I am guilty of it too no doubt. But two weeks ago who on this board would have said this is a potential loss because "we're the Bills".

I get it, the loss in Cincy sucked but we were without Clay and Mathews and our D gave up big plays which they hadn't been doing all year. The Bengals also do not appear to be slouches themselves anymore and could be 3-3 after this week. 

I have 100% faith that McD got this team refocused and ready during the bye (his mentor is like 17-2 after Byes). If Mathews plays, which is looking good, then I expect our Offense to look like it did against Atlanta but more consistent as we are at home and playing a weaker D.

These next 4 games are all winnable and could really help the Bills make the ever so needed playoff push. 

I've been consistent the whole season. I think is another winnable but 50/50 game. The Bucs still have loads of talent on offense and our offense just isn't explosiveness to put anyone away. I expect this to be a very close game but hopefully the fact the Bucs have an injured starter or backup will be the difference. 

Archived