Raiders sign Karl Joseph

Nightmare

Just now, Rich7sena said:

But one of those teams brought him back. My point is most of you are talking out of your posterior when talking about players--especially players that aren't on the screen most of the time.

The Browns tried him at FS and had one of the worst passing defenses in the league last year. They benched him and injuries forced him back into the lineup. He probably signed for a minimum deal, so if the Browns, who run the same scheme we do, thought he was a starting caliber player, why would they let him walk and spend big on a replacement? 

7 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

in the last 2 seasons his team has let him walk for cheap. the raiders paid more for Heath than Joseph got with the Browns. he wasnt heavily pursued in either offseason

But Mike Mayock compared him to Earl Thomas and he played FS 6 years ago at West Virginia so he should thrive in single high. 

4 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

But one of those teams brought him back. My point is most of you are talking out of your posterior when talking about players--especially players that aren't on the screen most of the time.

i dno man, not all of us can be eternal optimists who think KJ will be a single high ballhawk and actually came away impressed after watching Abrams' 2020 season

Just now, Turnobili said:

i dno man, not all of us can be eternal optimists who think KJ will be a single high ballhawk and actually came away impressed after watching Abrams' 2020 season

I literally called him a competent starting free safety. No one called him a single high ball hawk.

• Like 1

In terms of Gruden/Mayock's ability to evaluate safety talent: 

• Signed Marcus Gilchrist to start over Karl Joseph in 2018.

• Drafted Jonathan Abram in the 1st round to replace Karl Joseph in 2019. 

• Signed LaMarcus Joyner to a big deal in 2019 and pigeon holed him into playing CB. 

• Signed Damarious Randall in 2020 and he couldn't even make the roster. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

But Mike Mayock compared him to Earl Thomas and he played FS 6 years ago at West Virginia so he should thrive in single high. 

i guess ive kind of been giving mixed signals on this to be fair.

i like joseph. i liked joseph when he was here. i was among the voices here who thought he wasn't given a fair shake. he wasnt a great safety (he's a SS who cant match up with TEs, an obvious dilemma), but he did have a knack for making plays when given the opportunity. he was a sure tackler, even an underrated blitzer during his time here.

but if he was going to be a centerfielder who can handle a big coverage responsibility, i think we would have seen that by now. i dont mind having him back, because even with his deficiencies, he could end up being an upgrade to Abram if he continues to massively struggle. (but we already have Heath as a veteran who can play SS)

i just think that if we wanted to fill the FS role, this was a subpar guy to target given some of the names still out there. heck i would have preferred Clinton-Dix

Edited by Turnobili

3 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I'll stick with the game film, thanks.

Since 50% (the majority) of Joseph's snaps came at FS in a cover 3 scheme last season I'd love to see the film of him thriving or even playing at an average level in that role. 

Just now, Turnobili said:

but if he was going to be a centerfielder who can handle a big coverage responsibility, i think we would have seen that by now. 

He literally played in that role for the Browns last season and got benched mid-season on a team that had one of the worst passing defenses in the league.