Raiders sign Karl Joseph

Nightmare

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He was also an after thought in free agency which is why he is signing so late. 

Like all the players we could have signed instead. There are 3 S who signed for more than 2M this offseason (i think). Johnson, Jenkins, Harris. The rest is this kind of level.

37 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The reality is we let Joseph walk in free agency last year and he lost his starting job in 2020 with the Browns who also let him walk in free agency. 

In single high you have to have range to cover the entire back end of the field. Joseph has never shown that ability in the NFL. 

That's great that he had an interception against Dwayne Haskins, a guy that got cut as a former 1st round pick in his 2nd year on a team in the playoff hunt. And that he made some plays 6 years ago in the Big 12. But he has never shown to be great in coverage in the NFL. 

to be fair, a lot of people (both fans, and some of the raiders media) felt KJ didnt get a fair shake...

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

I already address the Reason why the Browns might've not have played him at FS. They also had draft picks that they were high on that they may have wanted to play at FS. 

He played the majority of his snaps at FS last season for the Browns. 

Just now, Rich7sena said:

I think with the reports that Gruden is done taking young defensive backs early in the draft and this signing signal that a safety will not be one of the Raiders' first two picks.

I don't understand the question.

Where did you get those reports from? 

Just now, Turnobili said:

to be fair, a lot of people (both fans, and some of the raiders media) felt KJ didnt get a fair shake...

He got a fair shake in Cleveland last year in a similar scheme, he played the majority of the time at FS and struggled. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The Browns should probably fire Joe Woods. He uses the same scheme as Bradley and had the next Earl Thomas on the roster but didn't play him in single high. 

According to PFF Joseph played 48% of his snaps at FS in single high and 30% of his snaps in the box. So this notion that he was pigeon holed into playing in the box is a myth. 

with the raiders, it certainly was the case. he kept getting matched up against TE's and getting abused (except that one time he made a play against Detroit).

of course, that he didnt play well in Cleveland in a single high role doesnt inspire confidence. i dont think this takes the team out of the FS market in the draft. even if they took a true FS like Tre Boston or Malik Hooker, i wouldnt think that would take them out of the running either.

• Like 1

Just now, Turnobili said:

with the raiders, it certainly was the case. he kept getting matched up against TE's and getting abused (except that one time he made a play against Detroit).

of course, that he didnt play well in Cleveland in a single high role doesnt inspire confidence. i dont think this takes the team out of the FS market in the draft. even if they took a true FS like Tre Boston or Malik Hooker, i wouldnt think that would take them out of the running either.

But it wasn't the case last season, Woods scheme is very similar to Bradley's and he used KJ at FS more often than not. There's no way that we're signing Hooker or Boston now. 

4 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

in favor of allowing Erik Harris to start

No, Randall who busted hard for some reason. Seattle just re-signed him to play CB now. Kinda funny since he was a bad CB in GB, they moved him to S and he was better. Played pretty good for CLE at S and is now back to CB because his last 2 teams seem to think he isn't good at S.

• Like 1

Just now, oakdb36 said:

No, Randall who busted hard for some reason. Seattle just re-signed him to play CB now. Kinda funny since he was a bad CB in GB, they moved him to S and he was better. Played pretty good for CLE at S and is now back to CB because his last 2 teams seem to think he isn't good at S.

We picked up Randall late in the free agency process after the market had dried up just like we did with KJ.

• Like 1

this board like my old girl, so pessimistic and complaining about everything. Kojo isn't a savior but he can he solid starting safety. I like to use logic and not emotion, so here what he has going for him:

• we don't have a trash Defensive Coordinator calling plays, matching a small Joseph with huge TEs with no pass rush
  • he was one of our better defenders, and lacked any type of help on a rebuilding era
  • Browns had a chance to add an all pro safety so they went for the upgrade, doesn't mean Joseph isn't bad. They drafted Grant high and want to play him too. 
  • people don't get this, DBs look horrible with no pass rush. Our pass rush has been one of the worst since Mack was traded. We tried to address this with drafting a developing Maxx and Ferrell
  • Joseph plays fast, and is a good player. Play him to his strength, let him run around and make plays. 
  • he is a leader 
  • now we aren't forced to reach on a safety, we can actually draft the best possible defensive talent 
  • Gus Bradley just got Rayshawn Jenkins paid, I trust he can unleash Joseph 

• Like 1