Raiders sign Karl Joseph

Nightmare

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

No idea. I'm assuming they pigeonholed him in as a box safety and they looked for a safety who can play in the box and cover in man more effectively, which is what John Johnson III does.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/LongFormArticle/Man-Or-Zone-The-Big-Joe-Woods-Question-160591618/

Joe Woods's history is strongly tied to zone coverage and an affinity for the Seattle brand of Cover-3. This leads to the assumption that the Browns will continue to be a zone heavy team in 2021. It also has led to the easy speculation that Richard Sherman would be a good veteran fit in free agency.

So the Browns, who's defensive coordinator Joe Woods, used essentially the same defense that Bradley uses but didn't play Joseph at FS? They had a player that could thrive in the spot and didn't think to use him there? They should probably fire Woods then. 

Just now, Rich7sena said:

I think think this takes the Raiders out of the safety market in the draft. Joseph is a competent free safety in Bradley's scheme.

It's one of those things that gives us the ability to see what's there at 48. Now if Richie Grant isn't there it's not gonna kill us. It also means we can take a right tackle our best player available instead of taking Moerig. That's what I like most about it

4 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I think think this takes the Raiders out of the safety market early in the draft. Joseph is a competent free safety in Bradley's scheme.

Really ? Not seen anything to suggest he’s a good fit in a single high scheme? 

Edited by Dessie

Two things that I think people need to remember.  

1. The Raiders didn't pick up KJ's 5th year option.  From what I remember, they wanted him to stay but not at the first round price tag. He eventually left to test the market.    Also He might not have fit what PG wanted in a safety.  We can all agree that Gus Bradley might look at the same player a little differently.  

2.  Kolten Miller was the lowest graded LT in years as a rookie.  Maybe cut Abram, Ruggs, Edwards, and Arnette some slack.  Most WRs have a tough time in their first year.  Corners and Safeties too.  I thought Arnette looked like a willing and capable tackler who was fairly sticky at times.  Yes Abram looked lost a lot.  But he seemed to be playing too far from the LOS due to scheme.  Doubt that is the case this year.  

KJ might not be the answer at FS but he could be.  Or he could hold the spot if a rookie needs a few weeks to get up to speed.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Different coaches see different traits in players. Example the Eagles and the Raiders both ran west coast offenses. One saw Nelson Agholor as Slot receiver only. Other saw him as an outside receiver. 

The whole idea with the raiders is Kenyan Drake is supposed to be that he supposed to be a Swiss Army knife running back. Why didnt the Cardinals who traded for him and gave him 8 mil see him that way? 

That's just how the NFL is lol

The Browns defense was below average last season and used the same scheme Bradley uses, you'd think having a player that can thrive in single high, they would've played him there. 

The Cardinals weren't going to pay Drake what we did because they obviously think Chase Edmonds is better, which is why he was more involved in their passing game then Drake was last year. 

2 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Really ? Not seen anything to suggest he’s a good fit in a single high scheme? 

He played in the same scheme for the Browns last season and wasn't used or trusted to play in single high. He was also an after thought in free agency which is why he is signing so late. 

3 minutes ago, SodakRaiders said:

We can all agree that Gus Bradley might look at the same player a little differently.  

It was a desperate move just like the majority of the moves that we make. We had all of our eggs in the Rayshawn Jenkins basket but didn't want to pay him. So we settled on KJ. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

He played in the same scheme for the Browns last season and wasn't used or trusted to play in single high. He was also an after thought in free agency which is why he is signing so late. 

I hope teams think that takes us out of a safety early as they might not jump us but I don’t agree it does, we need a starting calibre safety. 

43 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

One play means that he can play FS in single high? Dwayne Haskins was arguably the worst starting quarterback in the NFL last year. 

He had the 83/94 best coverage grade in the NFL last year according to PFF and lost his starting job midseason on a below average defense. 

wasnt exactly a demanding play either. he just stayed in his lane and backpedaled. didnt demonstrate range. didnt demonstrate coverage ability. wasnt an eye popping play where he jumps the route.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

It's one of those things that gives us the ability to see what's there at 48. Now if Richie Grant isn't there it's not gonna kill us. It also means we can take a right tackle our best player available instead of taking Moerig. That's what I like most about it

I think with the reports that Gruden is done taking young defensive backs early in the draft and this signing signal that a safety will not be one of the Raiders' first two picks.

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

Really ? As what ? 

I don't understand the question.

Just now, Dessie said:

I hope teams think that takes us out of a safety early as they might not jump us but I don’t agree it does, we need a starting calibre safety. 

The Browns should probably fire Joe Woods. He uses the same scheme as Bradley and had the next Earl Thomas on the roster but didn't play him in single high. 

According to PFF Joseph played 48% of his snaps at FS in single high and 30% of his snaps in the box. So this notion that he was pigeon holed into playing in the box is a myth. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Browns defense was below average last season and used the same scheme Bradley uses, you'd think having a player that can thrive in single high, they would've played him there. 

The Cardinals weren't going to pay Drake what we did because they obviously think Chase Edmonds is better, which is why he was more involved in their passing game then Drake was last year. 

Why him 8 million then? Why not just let him walk?

And that still doesn't address Nelson Agholor(I can't let you ignore that)

I already address the Reason why the Browns might've not have played him at FS. They also had draft picks that they were high on that they may have wanted to play at FS. 

1 minute ago, Turnobili said:

wasnt exactly a demanding play either. he just stayed in his lane and backpedaled. didnt demonstrate range. didnt demonstrate coverage ability. wasnt an eye popping play where he jumps the route.

He played 50% of his snaps at FS in a cover 3 scheme last year and was one of the worst safeties in coverage in the NFL.