Raiders sign Karl Joseph

Nightmare

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

Similar but definitely not the same. For example he uses way more split safety. I am also watching the press conference right now and when asked about Gus Bradley he said he played in a similar defense in Cleveland(Didn't mention Oakland or Ken Norton Jr (which implies that they're different).

Joseph graded out as the 75th best safety in the league according to PFF out of 94 qualifying players, Abram was 94th. Cleveland let him walk and gave JJ3 big money to replace him.

Just now, Turnobili said:

KNJ was a linebackers coach, i dont know how married he was to the LoB cover 3 system. didnt appear obvious from his time here.

Because he's from the Seattle coaching tree and is currently the DC in Seattle and their defense has been decent.

1 minute ago, agarcia34 said:

I like KJ but some of yall want him to be something that he never was and hoping 5 years into his career he will be. 

I liked Joseph as a prospect (early 2nd Round), and he was superrr easy to fall in love with. However, never once saw him as a FS for a second. He was a pure SS with great hit ability, tone setter, and above-average zone coverage (unlike Abram, who was a pure box Safety coming into the NFL with no coverage ability of any kind, and should of been taken in the 3rd Round). Karl was always a liability in man coverage as a prospect though, he was never going to cover TEs effectively in the NFL. And he’s not a Single-High FS by any stretch. 

1 minute ago, Turnobili said:

KNJ was a linebackers coach, i dont know how married he was to the LoB cover 3 system. Didnt appear obvious from his time here. i think Del Rio was holding his hand quite a bit

Right he was also a first time defensive coordinator. 

Loved Karl Joseph the first time around and I'm glad we signed him after he came to meet with us. Really happy about this one and we need safety help either way, but I'm mostly happy that he's back with us. I like the impact he has on our team. Probably just a little bit different than a Free safety but Karl never caused any harm to our defense. It gives us some more insurance with the draft in hand. A little bit shockingly excited lol good move. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I liked Joseph as a prospect (early 2nd Round), and he was superrr easy to fall in love with. However, never once saw him as a FS for a second. He was a pure SS with great hit ability, tone setter, and above-average zone coverage (unlike Abram, who was a pure box Safety coming into the NFL with no coverage ability of any kind, and should of been taken in the 3rd Round). Karl was always a liability in man coverage as a prospect though, he was never going to cover TEs effectively in the NFL. And he’s not a Single-High FS by any stretch. 

but SS's are often assigned to TEs. thats' really what the "strong" designates. there seems to be a decent amount of contradiction here, imo. thats why i said yesterday that he was an enigma. from his physical play style it was clear that he wanted to be a SS but really had the body of a FS. 

fwiw mayock dubbed him as a poor man's earl thomas coming out

Edited by Turnobili

3 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I hold all judgment on Abram until mid season tbh. Hoping that the failure and new coaching he will get will get him to turn around things. 

For sure. Still holding out hope myself. Second year starting. Make or break season, and at least deserves to start a bare minimum 6 games. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Didn't Joseph lose his starting job to Erik Harris? lol

dont remember that. i know harris beat out Randall.

Joseph was our starting SS under Guenther and he was basically replaced by Abram. when Abram got hurt week 1 of his rookie year, Joseph stepped back in and played decently well until he got hurt.

Just now, NYRaider said:

Still doesn't change the fact that Joseph doesn't have the range to play single high or the size to cover TE.

He definitely can't cover TE's That's where most of our view come from him as a 205 pound 510 safety that was used to cover TE. I actually don't see where you get that he doesn't have the range to play single high safety(But of course I'm always open to being shown)