Raiders sign Karl Joseph

Nightmare

1 minute ago, Nightmare said:

Joseph’s talent level is essentially that of a rotational depth player in the league, but in our mess of a secondary that means there’s a good chance he’ll be starting at SS.

I’d certainly rather it was him than Abram anyway, so from that point of view it’s an upgrade. Underwhelming, though.

Really can’t see him playing at FS so that hole still feels unfilled.

Abram will get a flier and be the starting SS. I think Joseph was brought in to start at FS. 

Just now, agarcia34 said:

Mike Mayock on KJ

Here's what Mayock said about Joseph when the 2016 NFL Draft had concluded:

"With his range, toughness and ability to drop down in the slot and cover man, he's like a poor man's Earl Thomas. He says he models his game after Brian Dawkins. Some say he's much like Bob Sanders. This is a dynamic playmaker."

Mayock was also the same GM that let him walk in free agency last year. 

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

He wasn't very good in Cleveland last year either though and they let him walk while replacing him with a high priced FA. 

He struggled in coverage last season and lost the starting SS spot to Ronnie Harrison. Then Harrison got hurt and Joseph came back into the starting lineup. Everyone that covers the Browns said he was average at best in coverage last season. 

I don't know if he struggled or not. I definitely can give you that. I do think he played cover 3 in the past effectively. Like above.

BD Williams, one of my favorite film analysts thinks Joseph can play some centerfield in a Gus Bradley defense, as it doesn't ask him to cover tight ends.

Again, not saying he'll be some stud. But serviceable.

Just now, NYRaider said:

How many of the personnel decisions that Gruden/Mayock have made are logical or practical? 

Exactly. To me they were premature in getting rid of him. Another example of an impulsive decision from Gruden. Fell in love with Abram as in the draft and wanted him in spite of Joseph beginning to improve. Then shelved him once Abram was healthy. 

Bad decision if you ask me

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't know if he struggled or not. I definitely can give you that. I do think he played cover 3 in the past effectively. Like above.

BD Williams, one of my favorite film analysts thinks Joseph can play some centerfield in a Gus Bradley defense, as it doesn't ask him to cover tight ends.

Again, not saying he'll be some stud. But serviceable.

One play means that he can play FS in single high? Dwayne Haskins was arguably the worst starting quarterback in the NFL last year. 

He had the 83/94 best coverage grade in the NFL last year according to PFF and lost his starting job midseason on a below average defense. 

Edited by NYRaider

Just now, agarcia34 said:

He did do that, but its still gives you a sample of how Mayock feels about KJ ability. 

How he felt about him as a prospect 6 years ago. IIRC he also had Zay Jones as the #1 WR when he was coming out in the draft, lol. 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

His coverage grades according to PFF:

2020 - 48.4

2019 - 64.7

2018 - 68.0

2017 - 56.5

2016 - 71.1

When has Joseph ever shown the ability to play in single high? He has played almost exclusively at SS in the NFL. We let him walk in free agency last year and the Browns let him walk in free agency this year while replacing him with a high priced FA in JJ3. 

What is my thing with PFF Grades: I don't give context to the manner in which he covered. For example we all know that Karl Joseph can't cover TEs. Thats A proven fact. With that being said how do we know that these grades are him covering TEs 

Single high you're not covering anyone.  You're Beating the quarterback eyes and running to the football. 

There are two examples of why I Personally think he can play single high in permanent role 

(Hilarious that he fumbled it though)

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

How he felt about him as a prospect 6 years ago. IIRC he also had Zay Jones as the #1 WR when he was coming out in the draft, lol. 

Player rankings are different. That was a quote on how he feels about KJ ability. Totally different 

For me it’s quite simple. I actually thought Joseph was a decent player for us. Particularly in his final year. In comparison to the dross we have sen over the past few years, I actually thought that he played to a consistently solid level. 

Now I know that being an average player on a terrible team isn’t anything to write home about, but I always felt he was unfairly judged due to his draft status. It’s unlikely that this is for big bucks, so I look at it like we have brought in a competent player who you know what you are finding to get from. He adds depth and experience and means that we can potentially draft a more development safety. It also serves as some security should Abram completely bomb

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

What is my thing with PFF Grades: I don't give context to the manner in which he covered. For example we all know that Karl Joseph can't cover TEs. Thats A proven fact. With that being said how do we know that these grades are him covering TEs 

Single high you're not covering anyone.  You're Beating the quarterback eyes and running to the football. 

There are two examples of why I Personally think he can play single high in permanent role.

The reality is we let Joseph walk in free agency last year and he lost his starting job in 2020 with the Browns who also let him walk in free agency. 

In single high you have to have range to cover the entire back end of the field. Joseph has never shown that ability in the NFL. 

That's great that he had an interception against Dwayne Haskins, a guy that got cut as a former 1st round pick in his 2nd year on a team in the playoff hunt. And that he made some plays 6 years ago in the Big 12. But he has never shown to be great in coverage in the NFL. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

One play means that he can play FS in single high? Dwayne Haskins was arguably the worst starting quarterback in the NFL last year. 

He had the 83/94 best coverage grade in the NFL last year according to PFF and lost his starting job midseason on a below average defense. 

I was watching that this morning and I actually couldn't find it again because I thought it was on YouTube when I saw it. That's why it took me so long to respond. But yeah definitely never been a fan of PFF And I've always believed the grade doesn't make sense.