Raiders sign Karl Joseph

Nightmare

Once Harrison departed with a concussion, Redwine came in and was even better in coverage. His ability to handle transition zones with the LBs and CBs was instantly the best any Browns safety has shown all year. It’s an area where both Joseph and Andrew Sendejo have been utter liabilities. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He played FS in the same scheme last season and was benched, did you guys see that as well? What's a better indicator of player ability? What they did last season in the same role or what they did in college 6 years ago?

In that case we should sign Tim Tebow, he was a really good quarterback in college, should translate well. 

I don't recall him being benched, maybe he was but I thought he played well initially then got injured then came back towards the end of the season. The games I actually saw (and it was 4 or 5 not just 1 or 2) I thought he played well. Noone is saying he's going to be Rod Woodson back there but he's the best FS we gave at this moment in time - though he might not even play there.

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

The Browns for some reason were on TV over this side of the pond quite a lot last season and I for one think Joseph played pretty well when I watched them. I even commented on it last season in fact! Be very interested in what you see @MrOaktown_56

So well that they let him walk in free agency and immediately looked for a high priced FA to replace him. 

20 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I don't recall him being benched, maybe he was but I thought he played well initially then got injured then came back towards the end of the season. The games I actually saw (and it was 4 or 5 not just 1 or 2) I thought he played well. Noone is saying he's going to be Rod Woodson back there but he's the best FS we gave at this moment in time - though he might not even play there.

He was benched for Ronnie Harrison and then started playing again when Harrison got hurt. He played the majority of his snaps at FS in a cover 3 scheme for the Browns last season and struggled, his coverage grade according to PFF was slightly better than Abrams. 

Saying he's the best FS we have at the moment doesn't mean much, he's competing with Leavitt. 

Brandon Parker is currently the best RT we have on the roster at this moment in time as well, that doesn't inspire confidence. 

Edited by NYRaider

59 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He was benched for Ronnie Harrison and then started playing again when Harrison got hurt. He played the majority of his snaps at FS in a cover 3 scheme for the Browns last season and struggled, his coverage grade according to PFF was slightly better than Abrams. 

Saying he's the best FS we have at the moment doesn't mean much, he's competing with Leavitt. 

Brandon Parker is currently the best RT we have on the roster at this moment in time as well, that doesn't inspire confidence. 

It's a non sequitur. Players get let go all the time, some work out some don't. Just because Ngakoue was let go do we think he's not worth the Vikings or Ravens signing or is this logic only applied when it suits your argument?

I have a little more belief in Bradley than Guenther based on evidence rather than faith and think he'll be put in more advantageous positions. With regard to PFF do you agree with their take on Clelin Ferrell? 

Joseph is competing realistically with Heath who is a solid vet obviously. 

Edited by Darbsk

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Once Harrison departed with a concussion, Redwine came in and was even better in coverage. His ability to handle transition zones with the LBs and CBs was instantly the best any Browns safety has shown all year. It’s an area where both Joseph and Andrew Sendejo have been utter liabilities

I disagree on the bolded having watched him play. He played well in my honest opinion.

Edited to add it seems like the quote was specifically referencing transition zones as opposed to overall level of play or coverage generally 🙂

Edited by Darbsk

He played FS in the same scheme last season and was benched, did you guys see that as well? What's a better indicator of player ability? What they did last season in the same role or what they did in college 6 years ago?

In that case we should sign Tim Tebow, he was a really good quarterback in college, should translate well. 

** Insert man beating a dead horse gif ** 

As I've said I will be happy to revisit this thread during the season if he is our starting FS. People just keep quoting me with misinformation saying he has sucked because he was covering TE when he played FS in a cover 3 last season and sucked there as well. 

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

xhTBFhD.png

Ok. This helps me understand where you're coming from for sure. A couple of things stand out:

1. I wonder why they had him playing slot corner so much. 

2. If he played most of his snaps at three safety how was he were placed by Ronnie Harrison who at strong safety? That’s the part that makes no sense to me. Here’s something I found:

Initially the starting strong safety, Joseph was eventually replaced by Ronnie Harrison, who was acquired in a trade with the Jackonsville Jaguars. Injuries forced the two to flop quite a bit and the two were almost never able to play on the field at the same time.

3. Would you happen to know of some film where I could find some film of him struggling at single high safety in a cover 3. Because all of the plays that I’ve seen when he plays single high in that coverage are good.

Edited by Jeremy408

6 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Ok. This helps me understand where you're coming from for sure. A couple of things stand out:

1. I wonder why they had him playing slot corner so much. 

2. If he played most of his snaps at three safety how was he were placed by Ronnie Harrison who at strong safety? That’s the part that makes no sense to me. Here’s something I found:

Initially the starting strong safety, Joseph was eventually replaced by Ronnie Harrison, who was acquired in a trade with the Jackonsville Jaguars. Injuries forced the two to flop quite a bit and the two were almost never able to play on the field at the same time.

3. Would you happen to know of some film where I could find some film of him struggling at single high safety in a cover 3. Because all of the plays that I’ve seen when he plays single high in that coverage are good.

I don't care to continue going back and forth, I hope he is starting FS in single high just so we can see what happens.

• Like 1