Raiders sign Karl Joseph

Nightmare

43 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The mentality of scrapping the bottom of the barrel for average players and "we good." Doesn't work and hasn't worked in a long time. I don't mind Joseph as a rotational piece, I just think his skill set is redundant with Heath and Abram already in the fold. If Joseph and Abram are our starting safeties next season, we're in for another long year defensively. 

The mentality of overpaying average FAs doesn't work either. It's actually worse.

2 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

The mentality of overpaying average FAs doesn't work either. It's actually worse.

Agreed, you have to draft well to be consistently good. And we'll be in for a rough year if our starting safeties are Joseph and Abram, two guys that we drafted in the 1st round.

Just now, NYRaider said:

Agreed, you have to draft well to be consistently good. And we'll be in for a rough year if our starting safeties are Joseph and Abram, two guys that we drafted in the 1st round.

So if you agree, there's no problem signing a cheap stopgap.

1 minute ago, oakdb36 said:

So if you agree, there's no problem signing a cheap stopgap.

A stop gap at SS? Is he going to replace Abram this season? Abram/Heath provide the same skill-set as Joseph, none of them are guys that should be starting at FS in single high and are better in the box.

Just now, NYRaider said:

A stop gap at SS? Is he going to replace Abram this season? Abram/Heath provide the same skill-set as Joseph, none of them are guys that should be starting at FS in single high and are better in the box.

A S who can play both spots and would be asked to play FS if we can't get a rookie ready to start week 1.

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

2016 Reggie Nelson had 5 INTs.  The guy was a straight baller. 

(Sarcasm, would take those 5 INTs though)

It was awful watching Reggie Nelson.  Everyone new he was good for a few deep balls a game when trying to jump an underneath route.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The mentality of scrapping the bottom of the barrel for average players and "we good." Doesn't work and hasn't worked in a long time. I don't mind Joseph as a rotational piece, I just think his skill set is redundant with Heath and Abram already in the fold. If Joseph and Abram are our starting safeties next season, we're in for another long year defensively. 

I am just thinking that if it is a small deal the competition he brings is worth it.  Would I like to see us get a true FS? Yes but I hope signing Joseph does not stop them from trying.  If Bradley has a way to make it work with Abram and Joseph I would love to see it because we will not have to worry about getting to the QB when the receivers do not want to catch it.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I am just thinking that if it is a small deal the competition he brings is worth it.  Would I like to see us get a true FS? Yes but I hope signing Joseph does not stop them from trying.  If Bradley has a way to make it work with Abram and Joseph I would love to see it because we will not have to worry about getting to the QB when the receivers do not want to catch it.

Abram will probably end KJ's career week 1. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I don't think Joseph had this many pages of discussion when we drafted him. 

I think half of the talk was me celebrating but at the same time angry we took him in the first.  Was one of my favorite prospects but I had him as a 2nd rounder with the knee injury.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

It was awful watching Reggie Nelson.  Everyone new he was good for a few deep balls a game when trying to jump an underneath route.

That 4.9 second 40 yard dash speed right there.  Guy was getting burnt every game.