Raiders sign Karl Joseph

Nightmare

6 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think the defense is just missing 1 or 2 impact players at key spots. I actually feel like we have playmakers at LB. They just need the DL to help them out more.

If we can find a guy who can REALLY rush from inside (or Hurst takes the next step), that will elevate this defense. Same goes for a smart centerfielder who can actually create turnovers.

This is why I am not against spending big in FA for a 3T or going DT early.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think the defense is just missing 1 or 2 impact players at key spots. I actually feel like we have playmakers at LB. They just need the DL to help them out more.

If we can find a guy who can REALLY rush from inside (or Hurst takes the next step), that will elevate this defense. Same goes for a smart centerfielder who can actually create turnovers.

Our defensive line is a complete wild card, the only two players you can reasonable expect to produce are Crosby/Yannick. We took fliers on guys with potential but it could go either way. 

In the secondary Mullen is our only CB that has proven to be an above average player. Heath is okay too I guess but Joseph, Abram, Arnette, and Lawson are all pretty meh. And none of those guys are playmakers. 

54 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Our defensive line is a complete wild card, the only two players you can reasonable expect to produce are Crosby/Yannick. We took fliers on guys with potential but it could go either way. 

In the secondary Mullen is our only CB that has proven to be an above average player. Heath is okay too I guess but Joseph, Abram, Arnette, and Lawson are all pretty meh. And none of those guys are playmakers. 

Yeah I agree a lot is riding on the young guys. That being said, I really just think this defense needs a piece or 2 and it can be respectable. Yannick will help a lot for sure. He forces turnovers and him+cle+crosby is a pretty good edge rotation.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah I agree a lot is riding on the young guys. That being said, I really just think this defense needs a piece or 2 and it can be respectable. Yannick will help a lot for sure. He forces turnovers and him+cle+crosby is a pretty good edge rotation.

I'm praying that Irving can bounce back.

• Like 1

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

or Philion or Thomas plays better at his natural position that got him draft 3rd overall

Yeah or even Jefferson could be a guy. I think Irving has the highest upside of all of them though, he has actually looked elite in the past.

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah or even Jefferson could be a guy. I think Irving has the highest upside of all of them though, he has actually looked elite in the past.

Jefferson is the Highest floor. Technically Thomas has the highest ceiling. 

Edited by Jeremy408

15 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Define playmakers? Because I don't see any of the LBs impacting the game as blitzers or creating turnovers.

To me, the LBs are below average in coverage. Decent in run support and not much else. Why I would like to see a true playmaker in that unit.

24 minutes ago, Totty said:

Woof.

I don't think "favorite" necessarily means Top Ranked though. Joseph was probably in my Top 5 favorite players in that draft, from a fan perspective due to how fun he was to watch, but still had a 2nd Round Grade on him. 

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Define playmakers? Because I don't see any of the LBs impacting the game as blitzers or creating turnovers.

To me, the LBs are below average in coverage. Decent in run support and not much else. Why I would like to see a true playmaker in that unit.

Kwiatkoski and Morrow have both made impact plays as blitzers. Just not in the same year (Kwit was more in chicago when he was asked to do it more, Morrow more last year). Littleton is an excellent coverage backer over his career.

We don't have a missile or absolute physical specimen. I wouldn't mind either. I just think there are "faster" ways to elevate the defense if we can find a playmaker at FS/DT.