Raiders sign Karl Joseph

Nightmare

3 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

He can play single high. He played it well for the Raiders in 2019.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/cleveland-browns-film-room-karl-joseph-2000/

While Joseph has the versatility to play and can cover ground in Cover-3 or Cover-2, playing in a single-high situation in Cover-1 is not his typical usage. However, far too often, the Raiders asked Joseph to do just that; his play was bound to suffer under these circumstances.

While he will still be asked to play in zone coverage, even over the top as every safety is asked to do, the Browns and new defensive coordinator will likely deploy their heat-seeking missile in Joseph. These looks include in the box, underneath, and from sideline-to-sideline under Woods.

The Browns will not need Joseph to work in any single-high situations or play in any out-of-position roles this season. On paper, Joseph looks like a great fit at strong safety next to Delpit and Sendejo, and given his age; he has the potential to hang around well beyond 2020.

Edited by NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I'm confused where does it say ball hawk? Joseph is a competent free safety in Bradley's scheme. You don't have to be ball hawking or even that rangy. There's like three safeties in the NFL that I can think of what are Earl Thomas-esque in terms of their single high range: Byard, Simmons, and Williams. And I don't think Simmons plays single high that much--at least not what I remember of Fangio's scheme.

Just now, Rich7sena said:

I'm confused where does it say ball hawk? Joseph is a competent free safety in Bradley's scheme. You don't have to be ball hawking or even that rangy. There's like three safeties in the NFL that I can think of what are Earl Thomas-esque in terms of their single high range: Byard, Simmons, and Williams. And I don't think Simmons plays single high that much--at least not what I remember of Fangio's scheme.

Film study from his days in Oakland showed that he struggled when asked to play in single high and was at his best in the box. Last season he played the majority of his snaps at FS in a cover 3 scheme and was benched. PFF graded him as one of the worst safeties in coverage and the beat writers who did film study for the Browns said he struggled in coverage. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Film study from his days in Oakland showed that he struggled when asked to play in single high and was at his best in the box. Last season he played the majority of his snaps at FS in a cover 3 scheme and was benched. PFF graded him as one of the worst safeties in coverage and the beat writers who did film study for the Browns said he struggled in coverage. 

The bolded is false. He played well in a single high role. I don't care about PFF grade means nothing to me. I watched the film too and came to a different conclusion.

• Like 1

EflLH2HXkBEmLdP?format=jpg&name=medium

Despite being known as a box safety, meaning he has the physical play strength to battle in the trenches with the linebackers and interior linemen, Joseph was often stuck in as a deep safety. In multiple instances in 2019, Joseph could be found 20 yards off the line of scrimmage on first downs, counteracting his strengths on the field.

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

The bolded is false. He played well in a single high role. I don't care about PFF grade means nothing to me. I watched the film too and came to a different conclusion.

Watch his Cleveland film then. He played FS in a cover 3 and played so well that the Browns were one of the worst defenses in the league defending against the pass and Joseph got benched. 

He began his career with four seasons of 500+ snaps grading out between 67 and 74 overall by PFF. Karl excelled as a box safety, earning a grade of 82.2. The snaps and grades are great but Joseph has never played a full 16 games in a season. His career-best is 15 games back in 2017. This does show a very capable player when healthy especially when playing closer to the line of scrimmage. If Joseph can stay mostly healthy here is the player he could be.

Run defense is where Joseph has excelled in his young career. When playing in the box, very few safeties have been better than Joseph. In just nine games in 2019, he was able to put 49 tackles, 4 for loss. He did miss eight tackles last year placing him at a 14% missed tackle rate per pro football reference, health was an issue. In 2018, he had a similar tackle number, and only a 7.7% missed tackle rate. That is more like the player he is capable of being. For a team that gave up 140+ yards per game on the ground, a healthy Karl Joseph could be a huge help. The biggest if is always going to be staying healthy with Joseph.

Joseph struggled mightily in this department the first two years of his career. Over the previous two, he improved to being sufficient in coverage. The Browns countered his weakness with Andrew Sendejo, who excels in coverage. Joe Woods has made his name as a secondary coach, so he should get able to get the best out of both. If Joseph can have the cover as he did in 2018 and lock down the box, this stands to be a great move. A secondary of Greedy Williams, Denzel Ward, and Joseph could be extraordinary with Woods as the defensive coordinator.

5 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Also how often did Joseph play in single high? KNJ and Guenther both used split safeties the majority of the time.