News/Info on current WFT Players

ARTMONK HOF

• 2 weeks later...

I still think we made a big mistake on not picking up the option on Chase Young. The only scenario where we come out looking good for that move is if Young is awful this year. I get that we can't pay all 4 D-Lineman but this would have given us one more year of being able to. Now we sped up the process and will have to choose between Sweat and Young at the end of the season. I hope it's Young since he's younger (no pun intended) and that would mean that he has a good season. I like Sweat, but I think Young brings more to the table when healthy. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I still think we made a big mistake on not picking up the option on Chase Young. The only scenario where we come out looking good for that move is if Young is awful this year. I get that we can't pay all 4 D-Lineman but this would have given us one more year of being able to. Now we sped up the process and will have to choose between Sweat and Young at the end of the season. I hope it's Young since he's younger (no pun intended) and that would mean that he has a good season. I like Sweat, but I think Young brings more to the table when healthy. 

100 agree with all of this. The day can't come fast enough when Rivera is gone. I'm tired of having his decisions as both the GM & HC keep us from being a good team.

3 hours ago, Umbaugh21 said:

it was stupid for that reason alone and they had plenty of cap space next year to cover it. Ron overthought it and its another reason why having a coach as your GM is a bad idea. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

it was stupid for that reason alone and they had plenty of cap space next year to cover it. Ron overthought it and its another reason why having a coach as your GM is a bad idea. 

we've still got him for 3 years. This year, two tags , at worst .! When we start winning, he'll be happy to stay . 

9 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

we've still got him for 3 years. This year, two tags , at worst .! When we start winning, he'll be happy to stay . 

Yes but you could've used the tag on Sweat and the had Chase on his 5th year. To me that would've made more sense but its done and over with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

The tag is more expensive than the 5th-year option. And tagging players is really an awful way to do business as we learned with the way Dan/Bruce handled Kirk. It cost them more money to tag him in back-to-back years in guaranteed money which took huge chunks out of the salary cap than it would’ve been to do a long term deal and spread that guaranteed $ out over 4 or 5 years. 

Edited by turtle28

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The tag is more expensive than the 5th-year option. And tagging players is really an awful way to do business as we learned with the day Dan/Bruce handled Kirk. It cost them more money to tag him in back-to-back years in guaranteed money which took huge chunks out of the salary cap than it would’ve been to do a long term deal and spread that guaranteed & out over 4 or 5 years. 

Agree- it's the last resort plan. 

20 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The tag is more expensive than the 5th-year option. And tagging players is really an awful way to do business as we learned with the way Dan/Bruce handled Kirk. It cost them more money to tag him in back-to-back years in guaranteed money which took huge chunks out of the salary cap than it would’ve been to do a long term deal and spread that guaranteed $ out over 4 or 5 years. 

The franchise tag is going to cost around $7M more than the 5th year option according to Nicki J. It was a very expensive gamble on Rivera’s part. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

The franchise tag is going to cost around $7M more than the 5th year option according to Nicki J. It was a very expensive gamble on Rivera’s part. 

Yep and I don’t think it’s good business to let Chase or Sweat walk next year for just a 2025 comp pick. I just hate how this franchise hasn’t been forward thinking since Casserly was fired. They rarely make the correct long term play.

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Or he saved us a lot of money and headache. We're going to find out. 

• Like 1

Word on street is that Sweat looks better so far in camp. Chase didn't earn his 5th year. Culture eats Strategy for breakfast and that's something that everyone is having a hard time tabulating. Rivera wants you to earn it and is setting that tone for the rest of the team.

If Chase plays at an All Pro level - great! Sign him.....  forget about the $7M, that's the option premium that had to be paid.

Edited by Troublez

28 minutes ago, Troublez said:

Word on street is that Sweat looks better so far in camp. Chase didn't earn his 5th year. Culture eats Strategy for breakfast and that's something that everyone is having a hard time tabulating. Rivera wants you to earn it and is setting that tone for the rest of the team.

If Chase plays at an All Pro level - great! Sign him.....  forget about the $7M, that's the option premium that had to be paid.

$7M would’ve signed Dalton Schultz this off-season.