News/Info on current WFT Players

ARTMONK HOF

Nicki Jhabvala 

Jack Del Rio on LB Cody Barton: "I like the way he prepares and competes and I think he'll continue to get better and impact us in a positive way."

I know there was hell to pay when he criticized J. Davis, this could be a reason why he gives this type of answer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Nicki Jhabvala 

Jack Del Rio on LB Cody Barton: "I like the way he prepares and competes and I think he'll continue to get better and impact us in a positive way."

I know there was hell to pay when he criticized J. Davis, this could be a reason why he gives this type of answer. 

bleh

2 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Nicki Jhabvala 

If you listen to the interview, his response is kind of cringy. The reporter was trying to say that Barton has graded very poorly this season and JDR asked "who says that?" The response was almost an "everyone" type of thing. JDR then spoke about his practice habits and how happy he was with him so far. 

Mind you, this was also after taking no responsibility for the defenses poor performances and slow starts and directly pointed to player execution. 

5 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

If you listen to the interview, his response is kind of cringy. The reporter was trying to say that Barton has graded very poorly this season and JDR asked "who says that?" The response was almost an "everyone" type of thing. JDR then spoke about his practice habits and how happy he was with him so far. 

Mind you, this was also after taking no responsibility for the defenses poor performances and slow starts and directly pointed to player execution. 

The most remarkable thing about this regime is going to be their absolutely mindboggling failure to field even a reasonable LB corps. When both the HC and the DC are former high-level NFL LBs. 

It’s shades of Jay Gruden preferring to go with a guy like Colt McCoy at QB instead of an actual NFL talent. But at least in that situation, Gruden himself was a scrappy never-was, so it sort of makes sense that he’d prefer/believe in a similar profile. Rivera and Del Rio were both genuine NFL talents with reasonable physical gifts in addition to their intangible traits. On top of that, Rivera/Hurney built their whole Panthers defense around the elite, high-investment LB group of Kuechly, Davis, and Thompson.

And yet somehow, their most memorable legacy on defense here is going to be rolling with these guys like Jon Bostic, David Mayo, and Cody Barton. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

The most remarkable thing about this regime is going to be their absolutely mindboggling failure to field even a reasonable LB corps. When both the HC and the DC are former high-level NFL LBs. 

It’s shades of Jay Gruden preferring to go with a guy like Colt McCoy at QB instead of an actual NFL talent. But at least in that situation, Gruden himself was a scrappy never-was, so it sort of makes sense that he’d prefer/believe in a similar profile. Rivera and Del Rio were both genuine NFL talents with reasonable physical gifts in addition to their intangible traits. On top of that, Rivera/Hurney built their whole Panthers defense around the elite, high-investment LB group of Kuechly, Davis, and Thompson.

And yet somehow, their most memorable legacy on defense here is going to be rolling with these guys like Jon Bostic, David Mayo, and Cody Barton. 

It has been the oddest thing about his tenure to me. It’s not even that they’ve just rolled with poor players it’s that they simply past on better ones that were available to them. It’s not like they didn’t have the opportunity to get better players than Barton and Davis. Hell, there were LB flat out better than Davis on the board when we picked. We could’ve selected Darrisaw and still picked a LB in the 2nd round that was better than Davis. 

And the Barton situation is even more baffling because Holcomb was the better player. It’s not like Pittsburgh paid him a ton of money either. They just willfully downgraded and treated it like it was no big deal. Wasn’t Trenton Simpson still on the board when we picked Quan Martin? The Mathis pick could’ve been a LB. How is David Mayo still on this roster one injury away from starting? It’s roster malpractice. 

25 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

man, I thought he had a heart attack ! They never did show the replay . Never seen or heard of a player being injured taking a 3-point stance - Leave to us/ our players ! 

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

What the devil is going on with Mathis. He "tweaked" a calf in the first preseason game. Damn man-talk about slow to heal/ or maybe they think he wouldn't help anyway so just keeping him on I R . Strange situation-even for us !

I was just thinking about this too, what a weird situation. 

Very concerned that they’re keeping him stashed on IR because he isn’t better than Abdullah Anderson and they don’t want to hand over the roster spot. That would be hugely disappointing.

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I was just thinking about this too, what a weird situation. 

Very concerned that they’re keeping him stashed on IR because he isn’t better than Abdullah Anderson and they don’t want to hand over the roster spot. That would be hugely disappointing.

Not to mention he’s already 25. What an awful second round pick that was. 

3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Ugh, 10 guys on the injury report. Rodriques listed as DNP/ NIR . Not Injury Related. hhhmmm

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2023/10/18/commanders-vs-giants-wednesdays-injury-report-for-week-6-daniel-jones-saquon-barkley/

Giants are on like their 3rd backup set of olinemen.  For us, the only DNP of note is Kendal Fuller and we have Forbes so shouldn't be a big issue.  

• Like 1

Not a current player, but he should be, so it’s going here. 

Dustin Hopkins set an NFL record today by making a 50+ yard FG in his 5th consecutive game. He did it in style, hitting twice from 54 and once from 58.

That moves him to 43/48 (plus 50/52 on XPs) since being unceremoniously dumped by the Rivera regime. That’s an 89.6% clip, despite almost 2/3 of his attempts coming from outside 40 yards — which you can compare to the 80.6% (50/62) mark posted by our kickers since then.

It was a dumb decision to cut him back then, and it’s turned out just about as one could have expected. 

• Like 2