Trading Rodgers: A Down Year Discussion

MacReady

Which do you take?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you take?

• Option 1 (Garrett, two first round picks)
    • Option 2 (Rodgers)

46 minutes ago, squire12 said:

That sounds better

Missing on some picks.. that happens. Your right, to all GMs. I'm not some TT hater. I like Ted and think he has done a great job. 

The problem is picks like Randall and Rollins.. two guys who have very limited football experience.. trying to put Randall in a role he doesn't fit (he is a safety). A 3rd round 24 yeard old in Fackrell, 3rd rounder Thornton who was terrible in the first place.

I know you can't hit on everyone.. but these are stretch picks(except for maybe Rollins. I loved that pick).

1 hour ago, packerrfan74 said:

Missing on some picks.. that happens. Your right, to all GMs. I'm not some TT hater. I like Ted and think he has done a great job. 

The problem is picks like Randall and Rollins.. two guys who have very limited football experience.. trying to put Randall in a role he doesn't fit (he is a safety). A 3rd round 24 yeard old in Fackrell, 3rd rounder Thornton who was terrible in the first place.

I know you can't hit on everyone.. but these are stretch picks(except for maybe Rollins. I loved that pick).

Part of that is easier to make that argument in hindsight, but part of that is the Packers drafting players higher than they should have for various reasons.  I know Thornton had some really good movement skills he displayed at Southern Miss, and most DL that move that well generally are drafted up the board.  I'd even include Montravious Adams to an extent.  The Packers needed corners badly in the 2015 draft, and the only corners who went between Randall and Rollins were Jalen Collins, Ronald Darby, and Senquez Golson.  Golson didn't fit the size profile.

6 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

Randall, Rollins, Fackrell, Khryi Thornton, Datone Jones, Jerel Worthy, etc. These were all defensive picks by GB over the yrs taken within the first 3 rds. This is part of the reason why the defense continues to be stagnant as a middling one at best

TBH, I honestly think the defensive performance would improve just simply with a switch at DC. Secondary still needs more talent for sure, but I don't think Dom helps that group out or puts them in the best position to succeed either

That's where the question is, is this an evaluation issue or a development issue?

26 minutes ago, CWood21 said:
6 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

Randall, Rollins, Fackrell, Khryi Thornton, Datone Jones, Jerel Worthy, etc. These were all defensive picks by GB over the yrs taken within the first 3 rds. This is part of the reason why the defense continues to be stagnant as a middling one at best

TBH, I honestly think the defensive performance would improve just simply with a switch at DC. Secondary still needs more talent for sure, but I don't think Dom helps that group out or puts them in the best position to succeed either

That's where the question is, is this an evaluation issue or a development issue

Bit of a catch-22. Capers has a complex system that takes awhile to learn effectively and efficiently throughout. Green Bay generally has a very young roster with inexperienced players. Those two things diabolically opposed each other most times. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

In the voice of Forrest Gump..."maybe it's both."

And that may very well be the answer.  The problem is that it's easier to change the coaching staff than it is the front office, because the front office will likely want to bring in their own coaching staff.

7 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Peppers yes.  You must have been the only other one because everybody else was okay with letting Peppers go.  I could prove it if I had to, but I was very vocal about wanting to bring Peppers back, and I used the fact that he was the only one who made any plays at all for us during our 10 game win streak.  He turned the Giants game around for us last year is one play off the top of my head.  Thompson let go of Woodson AND Peppers too early, and it ticks me off.

Datone?  No.  Datone has been cut by two division rivals already.  If he was good, or if he could help, we'd sign him. 

Obviously Peppers was a far more important player, but D Jones would still be nice depth in the elephant role. imo. 

On 10/20/2017 at 2:48 PM, jfinley88 said:

everytime rodgers gets hurt or goes through a sub-par spurt people wanna trade him and move on lol

no. don't trade the best QB to ever do it imo. 

That and he’s going to turn 35 next year. Might be selling high if you could play that out. 

On 10/20/2017 at 4:21 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

6/4 is the TD/INT ratio of the last three Super Bowl winning quarterbacks. 

You think GB wins the Superbowl in 2010 with a journeyman at QB? You think NE comes back to win last year with Jimmy G instead of Brady? 

P. Manning

E. Manning

Big Ben

Brees

Rodgers

E. Manning

Flacco

Wilson

Brady

P. Manning

Brady

Those are your SB winners of the last decade. The Giants, Seahawks, and Broncos could have won with a guy like Sieman starting at QB. I know you'll argue Flacco, but the Ravens gave up 31 points in the SB, so not exactly the dominating defense you're envisioning. Joe Flacco tossed for nearly 300 yards, 3 TDs, no turnovers and was a major reason they won. The odds of winning the SB with only a dominating defense and a nobody at QB looks to stand at 4/10 or 5/10 if you're being generous. Not to mention, you're taking the SB as a standalone and not a complete picture of the playoffs. The elite QBs are a huge factor in winning playoff games. Notice how the dominating defenses with average QBs usually run into an elite QB in the Superbowl. Your odds are greatly increased with a great QB. If you can put a great defense behind him, odds are you walk to the Superbowl (for evidence ---> Brady).

28 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I can't stand the idea that Eli Manning has more Super Bowl wins than Arron Rodgers.

Wins and appearances.  Can't change history.

Takes a team to get there and win it.  Defense needs to be up to the task.  2017 version of the GB defense needs to get healthy and have a few players step up

40 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Eli and Flacco won those rings because they played out of their minds in those games.  If they played like they usually do I doubt they have that hardware.  

This is true, which is evidence toward my thesis that elite QB > journeyman + elite D. If Eli and Flacco aren't elite QBs, they certainly played like they were in the playoffs/SB.

Archived