Trading Rodgers: A Down Year Discussion

MacReady

Which do you take?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you take?

• Option 1 (Garrett, two first round picks)
    • Option 2 (Rodgers)

Told you we should trade him.  Now we have to cut him and we won't get anything for him. 

EDIT:

Part of me hopes this turns into IRGate and the Packers are forced to release Aaron Rodgers so that I finally have something strong enough to compel me to quit watching football.  If a league so obsessed with player safety forced a team to cut a player because they put them on IR twice, it would be the same level of BS that the NBA pulled when they meddled with that Lakers trade, which happened to be the final straw that got me to stop watching or caring about the NBA.  Just like it was for the Lakers, this type of crap would be complete and utter BS, it would set the Packers back over a decade, and it would be so completely, irrevocably unforgivable that it would ruin an entire league.

So bring it, NFL.  Do it.  Do it, I dare you.  Turn this into a thing.  Let this become a thing. 

49 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Told you we should trade him.  Now we have to cut him and we won't get anything for him. 

EDIT:

Part of me hopes this turns into IRGate and the Packers are forced to release Aaron Rodgers so that I finally have something strong enough to compel me to quit watching football.  If a league so obsessed with player safety forced a team to cut a player because they put them on IR twice, it would be the same level of BS that the NBA pulled when they meddled with that Lakers trade, which happened to be the final straw that got me to stop watching or caring about the NBA.  Just like it was for the Lakers, this type of crap would be complete and utter BS, it would set the Packers back over a decade, and it would be so completely, irrevocably unforgivable that it would ruin an entire league.

So bring it, NFL.  Do it.  Do it, I dare you.  Turn this into a thing.  Let this become a thing. 

What are you talking about?  Are we in some sort of trouble because we put Rodgers back on IR??

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I wouldn't get too excited over this.  Like Florio said - the league isn't going to do anything about this.  Quote:  Besides, the Packers would hardly be the first, or last, team to shut down a guy late in the season even though he technically would be healthy within the minimum six-week window that supposedly applies to any player who is placed on injured reserve.

Just now, Pugger said:

I wouldn't get too excited over this.  Like Florio said - the league isn't going to do anything about this.  Quote:  Besides, the Packers would hardly be the first, or last, team to shut down a guy late in the season even though he technically would be healthy within the minimum six-week window that supposedly applies to any player who is placed on injured reserve.

It's when you don't worry about things that they get you. 

Just now, Pugger said:

HZ , there is more Florio said.  If the league comes down on us there would be several other teams that be guilty of bending other rules. We'll probably be fined and this rule will addressed this offseason.  I'd love to know which teams were complaining.

I'm not worried about it, Pugger.  There's nothing to worry about.  There's no basis for the discussion.  It won't happen.  If it does happen, since there is literally no basis for it to happen, I will literally 100% stop watching football because it will be an all time greatest eff over. 

The only thing that would need to happen for the Packers to abide by the rules when they put Rodgers back on IR is an injury that would keep him out for 6 games (which is 2 games since the Packers were eliminated from playoff contention). 

A bruise would be justified. 

The Packers gained zero competitive advantage from putting Rodgers on IR.  In a league where a 5 time Super Bowl winning QB/Coach have literally gained competitive advantages throughout their Super Bowl wins (Spygate, Deflategate, Brady not coming out for a concussion last year), there is no precedent for the Packers facing any kind of fine or penalty, much less being required to release Rodgers. 

If anything comes from this other than typical bellyaching from 31 teams that want Rodgers (probably just one team, THE team that would get Rodgers), the NFL as a fair, competitive organization becomes forfeit.  So I'm not worried. 

I guess we may have technically broke a rule since Rodgers didn't have a 'new' injury, but it's not like the Packers gained a competetive advantage by sitting Rodgers and reinserting Hundley into the starting role.  Perhaps the bitching teams are the ones that are fighting it out with the Vikings for home field advantage .. those teams were hoping for Packer victory.  The league allowed the Packers to do it .. could have told them they couldn't do it and the Packers would have just sat Rodgers down without the IR tag.  We have a league full of whiny teams apparently.

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

HZ , there is more Florio said.  If the league comes down on us there would be several other teams that be guilty of bending other rules. We'll probably be fined and this rule will addressed this offseason.  I'd love to know which teams were complaining.

Maybe its one of the playoff teams upset that we fielded a weakened team against the Vikings? Saints? Panthers? Rams?

Archived