Trading Rodgers: A Down Year Discussion

MacReady

Which do you take?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you take?

• Option 1 (Garrett, two first round picks)
    • Option 2 (Rodgers)

11 hours ago, vegas492 said:

And with all those jaw dropping plays, we've been to one Super Bowl with him.

The goal is to win the big game.  I've said it before on here, I don't see us getting another one with Rodgers as long as the coaches remain the same.  Change some up and then Rodgers has a chance.

I was against trading him too.  Doubt crept into my mind when considering the QB draft class and seeing what Wentz has been able to do in his first two years.

The goal is to be in contention all the time.  With the exception of the Pats, nobody has been more of a threat to win the championship year in and out like the Packers with Rodgers.

1. Think about the Falcons.  They had a great team last year and were basically champs until a series of unfortunate events took place.  They lost, and now what?  I'm not saying they are out of contention this year, but you can see how easily teams lose their mojo.  

2.  What about the Seahawks?  A few years ago they seemed like a nearly perfect team, with a rising QB star in Wilson, still playing on his rookie contract.  Even with the extra SB appearance, that nearly perfect team hasn't been more of threat to win a championship than the Packers.  

3.  Remember the Panthers?  Or the 49ers?  Me neither.  So forgettable that I can just lump them together, both with QBs who seem(ed) to be approaching the caliber you're hoping to nail down with a trade like the one proposed.  Could the Panthers have a championship in them?  Maybe.  But, I'd pick the Pack with Rodgers.

4.  The Colts?  Ha ha ha.

5.  The Eagles with Wentz?  First of all, this is one year.  One!  And if the Packers were healthy, whose chances would you prefer?  Next year?  The year after that?  Even if our best FA acquisition in the next two off seasons is a long snapper from a girl middle school gymnastics team, I'd still like the Packers chances better than the Eagles.

I mean, the Eagles could win a championship.  Maybe a different team with a decent QB . . . the Colts, maybe?.  Anything could happen - sometimes a guy breaks his collarbone.  But Packers are top-tier contenders every year and that's not going to change whether we have Perry rushing from the outside or some new guy who doesn't have to wear a club on either hand.

Unless we trade Rodgers.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think it could be argued that GB is a top tier team, but not really a contender.  Those are two different things.  Defense is holding them back.  Even with a healthy Rodgers.

I'd agree that they haven't been the top contender every year, and I'd also agree that defense is holding them back.  But not to a degree where they weren't considered contenders, and they have been serious contenders many of the years.  If you want me to agree that the Packers might have more championships if we'd had better defenses or running games, sure, I agree.  But I can't think of any of those years where we'd have had better chances with a different QB and one other good player or two.

9 hours ago, vegas492 said:

And with all those jaw dropping plays, we've been to one Super Bowl with him.

The goal is to win the big game.  I've said it before on here, I don't see us getting another one with Rodgers as long as the coaches remain the same.  Change some up and then Rodgers has a chance.

I was against trading him too.  Doubt crept into my mind when considering the QB draft class and seeing what Wentz has been able to do in his first two years.

Did you feel similarly after 2013 as well having missed even any NFCCG for 3 years? Then our same coaches (worse ST coach) *should* have made it back. Everybody saw us winning that game and going to the Super Bowl. But, SBs are hard to get to. I think you are fooling yourself saying you can't see GB getting back there with this coaching staff. And I'm not sure how much thought actually goes into saying something like that.

4 hours ago, StinkySauce said:

I'd agree that they haven't been the top contender every year, and I'd also agree that defense is holding them back.  But not to a degree where they weren't considered contenders, and they have been serious contenders many of the years.  If you want me to agree that the Packers might have more championships if we'd had better defenses or running games, sure, I agree.  But I can't think of any of those years where we'd have had better chances with a different QB and one other good player or two.

This offense with Russell Wilson instead of Rogers and Pittsburgh’s defense is better than what we have with Rogers. At least the way our defense is playing. 

9 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

This offense with Russell Wilson instead of Rogers and Pittsburgh’s defense is better than what we have with Rogers. At least the way our defense is playing. 

Wilson's contract isn't that much different from Rodgers in terms of AAV. Swapping the two wouldn't get you any more to invest in the defense.

I think this defense could be top 10 if they can get healthy. That's plenty good enough. If Perry and Daniels get close to 100% and House, King and Burnett can all play together, it could work. They could use a few more pieces sure, more DBs, more pass rushers, but even the good defenses need those.

Also, look at those great defenses. SF for a few years, Seattle, ect ect. They are still good, but the elite QB (Rodgers) has had a much longer shelf life than any of them.

Just now, MantyWrestler said:

Lol. My point was that with a championship defense we can win with a just above average QB. 

The Steelers haven't won a SB in quite a while with a QB who is somewhat above "above average."  And it isn't easy to assemble a championship defense.  I mean, if it is easy, we should totally do it.  Sounds awesome!  But don't tell anyone else.  Anyway, just because you assemble a great defense doesn't mean you win a championship.  I'd say our best chance of getting a championship defense with one player is to keep Aaron Rodgers.

On 10/26/2017 at 8:09 PM, StinkySauce said:

The Steelers haven't won a SB in quite a while with a QB who is somewhat above "above average."  And it isn't easy to assemble a championship defense.  I mean, if it is easy, we should totally do it.  Sounds awesome!  But don't tell anyone else.  Anyway, just because you assemble a great defense doesn't mean you win a championship.  I'd say our best chance of getting a championship defense with one player is to keep Aaron Rodgers.

Maybe, maybe not. The question included Garrett and 2 first round picks which appears to be the first or second overall. Moving either pick would/could give us an additional 3-5 picks. That’s a lot of high picks for one guy. Should be a lot of talent if one drafts well. 

Plus, Rogers will be 35 and now has 13 screws inside his throwing side. 

On 10/26/2017 at 9:07 PM, spilltray said:

I think this defense could be top 10 if they can get healthy. That's plenty good enough. If Perry and Daniels get close to 100% and House, King and Burnett can all play together, it could work. They could use a few more pieces sure, more DBs, more pass rushers, but even the good defenses need those.

Also, look at those great defenses. SF for a few years, Seattle, ect ect. They are still good, but the elite QB (Rodgers) has had a much longer shelf life than any of them.

I think every year since 2011 I've seen this post from someone, "well, i think we'd have a top 10 defense if we just get healthy." You guys going to be saying the same thing in 2020 when Capers is still around and we are still a below average unit? 

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think every year since 2011 I've seen this post from someone, "well, i think we'd have a top 10 defense if we just get healthy." You guys going to be saying the same thing in 2020 when Capers is still around and we are still a below average unit? 

I agree .. seems like the Packers are trying to keep things together in hopes of one more magical run that probably won't happen.  Capers has to go.  I'd radically change things on our defense .. New Coordinator .. let that person decide whether they want to keep any of the assistants.  Pay cut for Matthews or release him.  Load up on pass rushers in the draft.  

On offense .. keeping Rodgers for the long haul.  Release Cobb .. sign Adams long term .. move Montgomery to the slot to replace Cobb.  Draft a 2nd or 3rd round WR with future #1 or #2 ability.  Draft 3rd or 4th rd. running back to push Aaron Jones.  Free agent TE if Bennett retires.  

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

I agree .. seems like the Packers are trying to keep things together in hopes of one more magical run that probably won't happen.  Capers has to go.  I'd radically change things on our defense .. New Coordinator .. let that person decide whether they want to keep any of the assistants.  Pay cut for Matthews or release him.  Load up on pass rushers in the draft.  

I agree with everything you said - except release Matthews.  He's been playing well and has value.  I kinda hope a new DC would put him at ILB and let him roam around ala Polamalu back in the day and keep defenses guessing where he's coming from.

Archived