Steelers give HC Tomlin 3-year contract extension

ReggieCamp

11 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Well, you can take a look at the QB's Mike Tomlin has drafted during his tenure to get an idea of what he would have tried to do at the QB position if he wasn't gifted a franchise guy from the start of it.

Turns out-- drafting a franchise QB is a lot harder than it looks and takes time.

-Browns fans

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

As someone who's team was an absolute unmitigated garbage fire for 20 years I always find it funny that people consider a coach who's never had a single losing season in 15 years "overrated" or average or worth moving on from or whatever.

It's hilarious to me watching steelers fans hate on Tomlin.

He has had his down moments like not being able to go the distance in the playoffs but the good still outweighs the bad.

Who would they even bring in to sell to the fan base that they are better than Tomlin. Jim Harbaugh? Lol

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

As someone who's team was an absolute unmitigated garbage fire for 20 years I always find it funny that people consider a coach who's never had a single losing season in 15 years "overrated" or average or worth moving on from or whatever.

1. Yea, Steelers fans are spoiled. Of course, the franchise itself likes to say that their own standard isn't having non-losing seasons. It's winning championships. And in the last decade, they have all of 3 playoff wins. That's not exactly the stuff of legends.

2. What do I care if the team is 8-8 or 7-9?

3. The Steelers had a franchise QB throughout the entirety of that period and an organization that was already highly successful even before Tomlin got there. Tomlin didn't build a program of his own, he inherited one and was asked to play his part. Even his coordinators and much of his coaching staff were picked for him.

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Turns out-- drafting a franchise QB is a lot harder than it looks and takes time.

-Browns fans

I look forward to the day when the Browns find their guy.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

He has had his down moments like not being able to go the distance in the playoffs but the good still outweighs the bad.

Who would they even bring in to sell to the fan base that they are better than Tomlin. Jim Harbaugh? Lol

You could have said the exact same thing about Mike McCarthy a few years ago, but everyone is so over Aaron Rodger's jock strap that they hold McCarthy to a higher standard than they are willing to do for Tomlin. This despite the fact that Tomlin has generally been given more talented teams than Mike McCarthy was in Green Bay.

Tomlin gets a free pass from the national press and even most of the local Pittsburgh media.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

McCarthy will be available by this time next year. Do it, Pittsburgh.

giphy-downsized.gif

1 minute ago, CKSteeler said:

You could have said the exact same thing about Mike McCarthy a few years ago, but everyone is so over Aaron Rodger's jock strap that they hold McCarthy to a higher standard than they are willing to do for Tomlin. This despite the fact that Tomlin has generally been given more talented teams than Mike McCarthy was in Green Bay.

Tomlin gets a free pass from the national press and even most of the local Pittsburgh media.

You are taking this thread on your shoulders. Bravo.

• Like 1

And for the record, 3 playoff wins in the last 10 years is completely average. It's tied for 15th in the league over that time span. So the notion that this is just spoiled Steelers fans talking is kind of nonsense at this point. That isn't good enough for a team with a franchise QB and it's not good enough for what the Steelers sell themselves as.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

And for the record, 3 playoff wins in the last 10 years is completely average. It's tied for 15th in the league over that time span. So the notion that this is just spoiled Steelers fans talking is kind of nonsense at this point. That isn't good enough for a team with a franchise QB and it's not good enough for what the Steelers sell themselves as.

I mean go for it, fire him. Please I want the Steelers to spend the next X amount of years looking for a HC and QB

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I mean go for it, fire him. Please I want the Steelers to spend the next X amount of years looking for a HC and QB

This is the sort of thing that should scare bad teams. Teams that trust their process and decision making ability shouldn't be motivated by fear of the unknown.

Finding the QB? Yea, there's some luck to that. That concerns me more than finding the next head coach (no one knew who Tomlin was before they hired him). Of course, the Browns passed on a number of guys who could have been their franchise guys and took scrubs when they did make the pick.

The team is going to be going through a transitionary period no matter what they do. They're going to be losing Colbert and Ben sooner rather than later. Perhaps this is the last ride for both.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

McCarthy will be available by this time next year. Do it, Pittsburgh.

giphy-downsized.gif

You are taking this thread on your shoulders. Bravo.

I've been arguing for getting rid of Tomlin for many moons now. It's an old hat for me to wear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Whats hilarious is outside fans acting like its crazy to want to move on from Tomlin when they dont have much of an argument beyond "he doesnt have a losing record".

How long do you ignore the failures?

How long do you give him a pass for his post season mediocrity due to his regular season success?

Again...Tomlin isnt a bad coach, but the Steelers have largely stagnated for the last 10 years or so, and its odd seeing Tomlin apologists ridiculing Steeler fans for wanting to see him held accountable.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Starless said:

The Steelers haven't fired a head coach since Bill Austin in 1968. They've always been loyal to a fault. 

True, but it’s different for Tomlin than it was for Noll or Cowher.  

Yes, they were able to leave on their own terms, but in the current state of the league, the NFL is holding the Steelers to a different standard than other teams.  

Tomlin will have a job in Pittsburgh for the rest of his life, even if he went three seasons without winning a game.  It’s for reasons that have nothing to do with his coaching ability or lack thereof.  

12 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

This is the sort of thing that should scare bad teams. Teams that trust their process and decision making ability shouldn't be motivated by fear of the unknown.

Finding the QB? Yea, there's some luck to that. That concerns me more than finding the next head coach (no one knew who Tomlin was before they hired him). Of course, the Browns passed on a number of guys who could have been their franchise guys and took scrubs when they did make the pick.

The team is going to be going through a transitionary period no matter what they do. They're going to be losing Colbert and Ben sooner rather than later. Perhaps this is the last ride for both.

If you trust their process and decision making ability, why are you questioning them extending Tomlins contract?