The Car Thread

Dome

12 hours ago, Counselor said:

Need to get an SUV. Any suggestions? I always buy certified used and want something reliable but not breaking the bank for it.

The Lincoln MK series are fantastic. Comfort and smoothness of ride is far better than any in its class Ive been around. The others all want stiff sporty suspension. Lincoln hit it right in a comfort ride. This trend where everything has to have sport suspension is idiocy. Especially in SUVs. Like Im going to pretend Im running the Nurburgring picking up the kids in the grocery getter. Give me comfort for that.

51 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

The Lincoln MK series are fantastic. Comfort and smoothness of ride is far better than any in its class Ive been around. The others all want stiff sporty suspension. Lincoln hit it right in a comfort ride. This trend where everything has to have sport suspension is idiocy. Especially in SUVs. Like Im going to pretend Im running the Nurburgring picking up the kids in the grocery getter. Give me comfort for that.

I can’t afford that

13 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

What is your price point? All manufacturers are offering 0% APR right now as well so going new might be a great time to take advantage of that 

I was trying to go used because of price point. Around 20-23k

48 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

What is your price point? All manufacturers are offering 0% APR right now as well so going new might be a great time to take advantage of that 

When i was car shopping last year, i did not find much of a difference between recently used (2016-2018) and new (2019). Often times, with interest and fees included, the sale price of a used car would be $1000-$2000 difference. 

In my case, I preferred having a brand new 2018 with 0 mileage, 0% interest, highest trim, and the original full length warranty. The 2nd car i was looking at was a used 2018 with 8000 KM , 2nd highest trim, CPO Warranty, and $1500 less OTD. The benefits of the new were worth $1500 for me. But i didn't have a firm budget, i was willing to go above a little. And the new also had a better exterior/interior colour 

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Counselor said:

5 seater is well enough 

I recently got my fiancé a VW Tiguan. Which is great. They changed the body style in 2018 and that would fit the price point for sure if you’re looking preowned. 

I drive a GMC Terrain, but i definitely prefer the Tiguan.

Others to consider would be the Honda CRV(will hold it’s value very well, not sure how long you typically keep cars for) also the Kia Sportage is a good value buy and would probably be lower than the price point you gave, and also the Nissan Rogue.  Rogue would probably be lower end of that list but there’s so many of them that the price is hard to ignore.

• Like 1

Just now, 49ersfan said:

When i was car shopping last year, i did not find much of a difference between recently used (2016-2018) and new (2019). Often times, with interest and fees included, the sale price of a used car would be $1000-$2000 difference. 

In my case, I preferred having a brand new 2018 with 0 mileage, 0% interest, highest trim, and the original full length warranty. The 2nd car i was looking at was a used 2018 with 8000 KM , 2nd highest trim, CPO Warranty, and $1500 less. The benefits of the new were worth $1500 for me. But i didn't have a firm budget, i was willing to go above a little. And the new also had a better exterior/interior colour 

Yep it’s all relative and brand specific. The zero percent makes a lot of difference, obviously, so that you aren’t taking as much of a hit in deracination.

1-2 year old cars your typically looking at a 2.5 percent APR for a 5 year loan right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

I can’t afford that

You can find 2017-2018 MKC in your price range. Worth checking into and test driving anyway. My woman has one and we both love it. I think thats all shell ever get from now on. This her second one.

• Like 1

On 01/05/2020 at 12:55 AM, Counselor said:

Need to get an SUV. Any suggestions? I always buy certified used and want something reliable but not breaking the bank for it.

Get an AWD hatchback or station wagon instead, is my suggestion.  Nobody really "needs" an SUV, unless they're getting a legit offroader or a halfway school bus minivan in disguise, or one that can actually tow something noteworthy.

On 01/05/2020 at 2:47 PM, 49ersfan said:

In my case, I preferred having a brand new 2018 with 0 mileage, 0% interest, highest trim, and the original full length warranty. The 2nd car i was looking at was a used 2018 with 8000 KM , 2nd highest trim, CPO Warranty, and $1500 less OTD. The benefits of the new were worth $1500 for me. But i didn't have a firm budget, i was willing to go above a little. And the new also had a better exterior/interior colour 

Depends on the company and time of year and stuff obviously, but yeah...a lot of times, the big volume companies (domestic especially) will give you so much more favourable financing rates on a brand new car, that it makes a used/CPO less attractive.  Other more "premium" brands though, it can be the other way around to an extent, with the extreme initial depreciation hit on the "price".

On 01/05/2020 at 2:47 PM, bigbadbuff said:

I recently got my fiancé a VW Tiguan. Which is great. They changed the body style in 2018 and that would fit the price point for sure if you’re looking preowned. 

I drive a GMC Terrain, but i definitely prefer the Tiguan.

Others to consider would be the Honda CRV(will hold it’s value very well, not sure how long you typically keep cars for) also the Kia Sportage is a good value buy and would probably be lower than the price point you gave, and also the Nissan Rogue.  Rogue would probably be lower end of that list but there’s so many of them that the price is hard to ignore.

They changed more than the body style.  xD  They made it humongous big, compared to the old one.  And sat it all on top of pretty much the exact same Front Wheel Drive platform as every other VW Car available.  It's the laziest Copy/Paste job in the history of automobiles probably.

I got an oil change for my 2016 Mazda CX-5 at the dealership last week. The service rep told me they found a minor leak in the valve gasket cover.  He said it was minor, but they recommended fixing it. Thoughts on how necessary this is?  I don't feel like the dealership would be trying to make work for themself, but I also don't want to shell out $650 to fix it either if it's really not a problem.

On 5/1/2020 at 2:55 AM, Counselor said:

My wife just got a 2017 Kia Sorento EX with 29k miles on it in your price range. We're really happy with it. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fraziafraze07 said:

I got an oil change for my 2016 Mazda CX-5 at the dealership last week. The service rep told me they found a minor leak in the valve gasket cover.  He said it was minor, but they recommended fixing it. Thoughts on how necessary this is?  I don't feel like the dealership would be trying to make work for themself, but I also don't want to shell out $650 to fix it either if it's really not a problem.

I mean, go look at it.  How much oil is actually leaking?  Is it dripping a puddle under the car?  Is it affecting oil pressures or anything?

On a transverse I4, it's not the most complicated job in the world.  But it also kinda depends on how and why that valve cover gasket is "leaking" in the first place.

As long as you don't care about potentially seeping a bit of oil in your engine bay that makes it looks "ugly" and "gross"...i'd just wait it out for an oil change and monitor the leak to see what it actually looks like.  If it's bad, and something you can't live with...address it at the next oil change.  Unless it's completely crazy though...it's probably not going to like, blow up your engine or anything.  Especially if you keep a proper eye on the oil levels.

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, go look at it.  How much oil is actually leaking?  Is it dripping a puddle under the car?  Is it affecting oil pressures or anything?

On a transverse I4, it's not the most complicated job in the world.  But it also kinda depends on how and why that valve cover gasket is "leaking" in the first place.

As long as you don't care about potentially seeping a bit of oil in your engine bay that makes it looks "ugly" and "gross"...i'd just wait it out for an oil change and monitor the leak to see what it actually looks like.  If it's bad, and something you can't live with...address it at the next oil change.  Unless it's completely crazy though...it's probably not going to like, blow up your engine or anything.  Especially if you keep a proper eye on the oil levels.

Thank you kind sir.  That's the plan of attack I took at the dealership--figured I'd see what they said about it in another 5,000 miles. It's not causing lots of oil loss at the moment, not even enough to cause any puddles.  Just didn't know if this was the sort of thing where a seemingly minor issue could lead to a lot more headache down the road, because a $600 fix seems to be more than just a minor issue.