The Car Thread

Dome

How often do you guys clean your brake discs/pads? 

I bought a new 2018 Mazda 3 in April 2019. It has 13000 KM. All maintenance is upto date (oil changes, swapped winter to all-season tires, etc). And the most recent report from the mechanic while doing the oil change says everything is good with the car. 

However, i notice my maintenance schedule says i should get my brake discs and pads cleaned at either 12 months or 24,000 KM. Its been 12 months, but i'm way below the mileage limit. Brakes work well and don't make any noise, except for squealing in cold weather (like 0 to -10 C, etc). 

Little confused if i should follow this recommendation for time or mileage

8 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

I bought a new 2018 Mazda 3 in April 2019. It has 13000 KM. All maintenance is upto date (oil changes, swapped winter to all-season tires, etc). And the most recent report from the mechanic while doing the oil change says everything is good with the car. 

However, i notice my maintenance schedule says i should get my brake discs and pads cleaned at either 12 months or 24,000 KM. Its been 12 months, but i'm way below the mileage limit. Brakes work well and don't make any noise, except for squealing in cold weather (like 0 to -10 C, etc). 

Cleaned? Not have the pads replaced? That may be the first time I've heard of that one. I've never cleaned brakes in my life. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, theJ said:

Cleaned? Not have the pads replaced? That may be the first time I've heard of that one. I've never cleaned brakes in my life. 

Yep. I've never done it either. As per the maintenance schedule

EVERY 24,000 KM OR 12 MONTHS Includes 8,000 KM inspection, plus: • Inspect and clean brake discs and pads, front and rear

https://cdn.mazda.ca/common/en/pdf/maintenance/2018_mazda_maintsheet_3_e_interactive.ts.1805031413310000.pdf?_ga=2.267106055.845321692.1586569990-1120038760.1586569990

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

I don't think I'd worry about cleaning them. Just make sure they have some life on them and appear to be wearing evenly. Unless it impacts a warranty or something. 

20 hours ago, theJ said:

I don't think I'd worry about cleaning them. Just make sure they have some life on them and appear to be wearing evenly. Unless it impacts a warranty or something. 

Apparently the fronts are 8/10ths left, back are 7/10th's. 

I've only driven it like 250 KM in the last 4 weeks. I've only been to the office 3 times, grocery a handful of times, and one leisure drive. No trips, no meeting friends, none of my normal driving. And i think going forward, i'll only be in the office once a week max, until things improve. So i expect to drive 200 KM a month max. Should help preserve brakes and tires for longer, i hope.

On 10/04/2020 at 11:33 AM, 49ersfan said:

What in the actual heck?

Don't "clean" brake pads.  That's usually like...actively detrimental to functioning.  They essentially bond to the rotor surface and bed in.  There's no reason to clean anything there, other than maybe blowing dust out if there's a lot of it or you've got some weird buildup somehow.  Or swapping pads if you're on the track a lot and burning through hot pads extensively, or if you've building up craptons of rubber and oil and gunk that can't be easily cleared because you're not normal driving.  

Honestly, i don't even use "brake cleaner" when installing new brakes.  I just don't smear grease and grime and fingerprints everwhere.  It's fine.

Mazda is weird.

A brake inspection with an oil change or tire change is pretty standard, and if you swap Summer/Winter tires twice a year, you'll have easy access to check brake condition and wear a couple times a year.  But that's about as far as i'd go.

I mean...if it's covered, "under warranty" i'd do whatever the heck they say.  No skin off my back.  But off warranty...that feels like a weird cash grab.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 3:49 PM, Tugboat said:

What in the actual heck?

Don't "clean" brake pads.  That's usually like...actively detrimental to functioning.  They essentially bond to the rotor surface and bed in.  There's no reason to clean anything there, other than maybe blowing dust out if there's a lot of it or you've got some weird buildup somehow.  Or swapping pads if you're on the track a lot and burning through hot pads extensively, or if you've building up craptons of rubber and oil and gunk that can't be easily cleared because you're not normal driving.  

Honestly, i don't even use "brake cleaner" when installing new brakes.  I just don't smear grease and grime and fingerprints everwhere.  It's fine.

Mazda is weird.

A brake inspection with an oil change or tire change is pretty standard, and if you swap Summer/Winter tires twice a year, you'll have easy access to check brake condition and wear a couple times a year.  But that's about as far as i'd go.

I mean...if it's covered, "under warranty" i'd do whatever the heck they say.  No skin off my back.  But off warranty...that feels like a weird cash grab.

Its an extra $200 charge lol. I don't see any point to it...never heard of it before i checked the maintenance schedule, and brakes are a wear item not covered under warranty anyway....the dealership tried to get me to do it on my last oil change but i declined. Guess i'll keep declining that package!

13 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Its an extra $200 charge lol. I don't see any point to it...never heard of it before i checked the maintenance schedule, and brakes are a wear item not covered under warranty anyway....the dealership tried to get me to do it on my last oil change but i declined. Guess i'll keep declining that package!

$200? That's hilarious. I'd tell them to go pound salt.

• Like 1

Always loved the 69/70 Cevy C10 shortbeds. I'm considering getting one (look good/don't have to smog/bed is useful for hauling/Could easily tow a jet ski or small atv trailer). Just worried I wouldn't really fit a regular cab at basically 6'4".

The Fine Dime 1969 Chevy C10 Truck from Creations N' Chrome Scores ...

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

My wife’s 2014 Altima for awhile now has been making a rattling noise that sounds like it’s coming from somewhere underneath the front of the car (almost sounds like it’s coming from underneath the car where the front seats are) when I accelerate. It seems to stop once it breaks 2000 rpm. Anyone have any idea what could be going on? 

18 hours ago, dtait93 said:

My wife’s 2014 Altima for awhile now has been making a rattling noise that sounds like it’s coming from somewhere underneath the front of the car (almost sounds like it’s coming from underneath the car where the front seats are) when I accelerate. It seems to stop once it breaks 2000 rpm. Anyone have any idea what could be going on? 

Might have a support bracket on your exhaust that's rusted out or something.  Sounds like something has come loose and rattles around once you have the wind whipping around it.

On 4/24/2020 at 2:41 PM, theJ said:

Might have a support bracket on your exhaust that's rusted out or something.  Sounds like something has come loose and rattles around once you have the wind whipping around it.

Cool thanks J. Someone told me it might be the transmission going (I know very little about cars).... Could there be any truth to that from what I described?

8 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Cool thanks J. Someone told me it might be the transmission going (I know very little about cars).... Could there be any truth to that from what I described?

Potentially. Though when you describe it as under the seat area, there's really nothing there to make noise except maybe the exhaust rattling around. 

And actually I'll add to my original statement. It's more likely it's a heat shield that's rotted out partially and rattling around. That happened to my old car. 

Thing is - if it's in the transmission there's nothing to be done anyway. Either it's partially broken or all the way broken and either way it's 2k of repairs. 

I'd have a muffler shop check the underside of the car for something loose. If they can't find anything, then maybe panic about the transmission. 

10 hours ago, Counselor said:

Need to get an SUV. Any suggestions? I always buy certified used and want something reliable but not breaking the bank for it.

I like the Mazda CX-5. I took my car to the dealership last year for an oil change/winter tire swap, instead of waiting for 2 hours, they drove me home/picked me back up in a CX-5. I loved the interior and exterior, and if its anything like the Mazda 3, its a great drive too. 

I've also heard good things about the Toyota Rav4 & Subaru Forester.