Broncos acquire QB Teddy Bridgewater

.Buzz

10 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’m not even sure he’s better than lock. 

Honestly, I think that's the point. I don't think they were looking for a Lock replacement. I think that they were looking for a baseline option to push Lock and if the incumbent doesn't improve, they more or less "know what they have" in Teddy B

Bridgewater on track be the next Ryan Fitzpatrick/Josh McCown if he gets longevity and the super conservative game manager types tend to last on rosters.

TB: 5 teams by 29 years old
RF: 3 teams by 29 years old
JM: 4 teams by 29 years old

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I think that's the point. I don't think they were looking for a Lock replacement. I think that they were looking for a baseline option to push Lock and if the incumbent doesn't improve, they more or less "know what they have" in Teddy B

Yeah I can't see any other reason. Unless Lock has really been that bad then Bridgewater would likely just go on to win 5-7 games and the Broncos would end up in an awkward spot in terms of drafting a qb again. I do like how cheap they got him for but beyond that I don't see the need unless they are sticking with Lock.

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's a typical high floor backup QB that Paton knows from MIN. I don't think this changes anything.

Their QB room floor just got raised, that's all.

Also, apparently a DEN writer/radio host speculated the Broncos could make a trade with Detroit for #7 and draft Fields because DET has some sort of interest in Lock to be behind Goff.

Something like Lock, #9, 2nd or 3rd rounder for #7 to draft Fields. That way their QB room will be Fields/Bridgewater and Detroit's will be Goff/Lock

18 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’m not even sure he’s better than lock. 

He may not be - but let's play this out:

1.  Rd1 rookie taken - guess who the better mentor to a rookie is?  It's not Lock.

2. Denver waits for Watson (if he gets cleared) / Wilson / Rd1 2022 rookie - new GM Paton has made it clear he's not comfortable with Lock alone as the guy.

At 3M, it's a no risk move to simply ensure Drew Lock isn't the only answer.    Teddy is NOT the long-term answer.   To compete in the AFCW, you need a high-end, top 5-6 ceiling guy if you want to compete on a sustained basis, with Mahomes and now Herbert here (he's not top 5-6, but he's got that ceiling).     But the signing doesn't stop GM Paton from going in any direction.   If anything, this just means that if a rookie QB gets taken Rd1, or Watson/Wilson are pursued - Lock is jettisoned.   

This is more about who Denver wants to groom as a rookie backup, and/or their lack of faith in Drew Lock, than a plan to have Teddy be the guy and feel like they've got their long-term solution.  He's not being brought in for that reason.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

He's a typical high floor backup QB that Paton knows from MIN. I don't think this changes anything.

Their QB room floor just got raised, that's all.

Also, apparently a DEN writer/radio host speculated the Broncos could make a trade with Detroit for #7 and draft Fields because DET has some sort of interest in Lock to be behind Goff.

Something like Lock, #9, 2nd or 3rd rounder for #7 to draft Fields. That way their QB room will be Fields/Bridgewater and Detroit's will be Goff/Lock

I kind of like that. 

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

If you go rookie, Lock is a terrible mentor.  His problems are the same problems a rookie has.  The difference is, his ceiling is lower than the top 4 guys, and he's had 3 years to fix it and not progressed.  

If you don't get a rookie, you can't let Lock be the only guy on the roster.  QB is literally the reason why the O struggles.  It used to be OL and poor skill position talent.  Both of those areas are pretty well addressed.   

Don't get me wrong - Teddy B is not the answer if DEN wants to legitimately contend.    But giving Lock the keys to the car after last year with no real competition, was never going to fly.    At 3M & a 6th round pick as the price and 0 dead money in 2022, this just allows Paton to have a legit mentor if a rookie is brought in - and if they don't go that route, they also have a viable plan B for 2021 - yet with the complete roster freedom to attack the upgrade in 2022 with Watson/Wilson/2022 rd1 rookie (especially if they trade back and get 2022 premium pick ammo).

Edited by Broncofan

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

giphy.gif 

That's honestly not a terrible situation. Goff is a solid QB and can be a placeholder. Lock has a ton of talent and could benefit from a year so to sit and learn behind a good veteran.

Are you sold yet because I'm just trying any/everything I can to Lavar Ball myself and speak Justin Fields to Denver into existence

Edited by AkronsWitness

37 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I wonder if this makes the Aaron Rodgers to Denver for pick 9 + compensation more or less likely.

We'll give you Gardner Minshew for him straight up.  Minshew has said he wants to be a starter somewhere and we are going to need a backup in Jacksonville.  You could probably still get something for Jordan Love in trade when Minshew takes over too.  :P 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

That's honestly not a terrible situation. Goff is a solid QB and can be a placeholder. Lock has a ton of talent and could benefit from a year so to sit and learn.

Are you sold yet because I'm just trying any/everything I can to Lavar Ball myself and speak Justin Fields to Denver into existence

I need Fields to go #3 still for $$$ purposes. I am not/have not ever been a huge Goff fan ( he's serviceable), and sure as hell was never a Lock fan (had so many fears Washington wanted him). 

Just now, MikeT14 said:

I need Fields to go #3 still for $$$ purposes. I am not/have not ever been a huge Goff fan ( he's serviceable), and sure as hell was never a Lock fan (had so many fears Washington wanted him). 

It will be fiiiiiine Lock is a surefire HOFer for Detroit just let me have Fields in Denver.

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

so does that mean Carolina pull the trigger on fields or lance if they fall? Cant imagine they are good with just Darnold. As for Denver do not understand why you want him still got to pay him 17 mil this year for mediocre productivity should go young and draft a qb to compete with lock.

It feels like cleanup and closure to me. I am almost certain Carolina goes OL if one of the top two are available, and one should be.