With the 25th pick, the Jaguars select Travis Etienne

pwny

8 hours ago, pwny said:

I also don’t know if I truly like this pick for pure impact on the team, or if I’ve just known for so long that they had interest in him and the reasons for it, that I’m happy with the use of strong logic and a vision for what the team is supposed to be to get there. 

Pretty sure i'm also mostly in the latter camp for this.

I really don't mind Etienne, but i also definitely don't love the pick itself.  It's more just about the reasoning behind it having a convincing sort of plan.  There's a deliberate confidence to it, which i find kind of refreshing.

9 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'd rather have Etienne than Toney.

No question. Wondering if Toney being from UF was giving Meyer bias. No room for that in player eval. Etienne is the better player and in regards team fit...he’s probably right after Pitts and Chase as skilled position players. The ceiling is just so incredibly high with Etienne...we know exactly what we’ll be getting because the Lawrence-Etienne combo is tried and true. 

Edited by sammymvpknight
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

No question. Wondering if Toney being from UF was giving Meyer bias. No room for that in player eval. Etienne is the better player and in regards team fit...he’s probably right after Pitts and Chase as skilled position players. The ceiling is just so incredibly high with Etienne...we know exactly what we’ll be getting because the Lawrence-Etienne combo is tried and true. 

After waddle and Smith as well

The best part of this pick, whether you like the value of a RB at 25 or not, is that we’re going to see what Urban Meyer’s offense looks like in the NFL year one. There’s not going to be any “wait until he gets a guy that can play like Percy” or any complaints about how the guy they got later in the draft isn’t able to actually stack up to the role because he isn’t getting playtime or isn’t good or whatever.

Etienne will come in game one and be able to run all the crazy stuff Urban wants to run and be a reliable receiving back. Shenault can do some of that stuff as well in certain circumstances. Robinson will be able to be a steady runner for normal run plays. The receivers are varied in skill set enough that they will have someone who can run most concepts. They might not execute every single play, but we’re gonna get the full vision of what Urban’s offense looks like at this level. 

• Like 1

This opens with a rudimentary explanation of the ways that Urban used Samuel and Bevell’s use of Harvin, which are a solid baseline for expectations of use for ETN, for those of you who may not be overly familiar with what we’re talking about when we continue to compare his role to that of those two. 

19 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Really good thread from Laurie here on ETN.

I know a lot of people won’t open this thread, so I wanted to highlight the bottom one here specifically

He really does have that versatility to be used all over.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I thought he was a WR after that minicamp practice last week where they didn't hand the ball off? Urban is clearly in over his head.

Am I doing this right?

So far we’ve gotten

1. He drafted a 3rd down back in the first round. He’s stupid.

2. He’s trying to convert a running back to a full time receiver. He’s stupid.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see “Urban thinks WRs get hand offs. He’s stupid” next.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pwny said:

So far we’ve gotten

1. He drafted a 3rd down back in the first round. He’s stupid.

2. He’s trying to convert a running back to a full time receiver. He’s stupid.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see “Urban thinks WRs get hand offs. He’s stupid” next.

"he drafted him but doesn't even know how he wants to use him. he's stupid"

• Like 1