The Good, The Bad & The Ugly Vs KC

Darbsk

Didn't see one up yet..........

The Good

An invaluable win against a very good KC team - a loss would have effectively made it unlikely to make the playoffs

More downfield passing and Carr looking less jittery

Excellent pass protection against a great defensive front - I don't recall Carr being sacked and Houston and Ford were kept quiet 

As above Vadal Alexander held his own and don't recall any penalties on the OL apart from one hold on Jackson or Penn - great against the likes of Bailey, Jones, Ford and Houston

Refs were pretty good and consistent throughout - maybe the Crabs non-TD at the end could be argued but by and large they got most calls spot on, especially a couple of holds in coverage at the end

Solid run defence and we were able to move smith off his spot a few times - I think we edged it up front

Coaching has taken a battering last few weeks but I thought we had a decent game plan and with good execution could have won comfortably

Navorro Bowman seemed to add much needed stability and looked like there were fewer communication errors with him having the green dot, limited in coverage but more than made up for it with leadership and being the glue that stuck the D together

Tony Romo on commentary - very insightful and not afraid to disagree with the calls when neeeded

The Bad

Some bad errors in coverage and Nelson looks sluggish out there, time to give Luani a shot IMO (though Mcdonald was ok and Carrie was solid to be fair)

Players getting penalized at crucial times - Lee Smith and Autry in particular

Kelce had his way with us and we really struggled to contain him

FG unit had a down game (though they have been pretty good so far this year)

The Ugly

Has to be the Lynch ejection - for goodness sake if you're going to run on the field and get ejected at least knock out one of their guys for your trouble!!!

my only ugly, would be the back to back short passes to Deandre Washington on that last drive in the middle of the field.

Both were incomplete, and Thank God they were.

Why are we throwing a 2 yard pass in the middle of the field with like a minute left in the game???

It worked, and maybe that pulled the D up for later in the drive. Clearly im not an OC, but i definitely question that. But end of the day it worked, and made me one happy man at the end of the night lol

Good

Whomever was responsible for more deep passes and getting Amari involved was good.

Carr played much better. The play to win the game was really well designed.

Good to see Deandre Washington get some carries. 

Defense came up with some clutch stops. Yes they had some bad plays like that tipped pass but we expect the defense to be bad. The offense needs to carry the team and the defense just needs to come up some crucial stops.

Crabtree clutch as always.

Although I strongly dislike Jared Cook, he had some needed presence towards the end of the game. Still dropped that pass that would have won the game.

Bowman was huge. He had some great plays and the run defense seemed much better.

Bad

Reggie Nelson is invisible out there unless we see him chasing someone from behind. 

Missed/blocked field goals. 

Confusing how we can be bad at both covering the short passes and the deep passes at the same time. It would seem you should be able to do one or the other but can't seem to cover either.

Ugly

Ugly was Marshawn going out there. Yeah it's Oakland but he's on the field not on the street, he's going to be fine.

I thought the refs had bad calls on both sides so it turned out alright, but still had a lot of bad calls.

GOOD

• Biggest thing for me has to be Amari Cooper having a monster game. I was close to giving up on this guy. He still has to fix his drops though.
  • The fighting spirit, they didn't give up at all they kept fighting.
  • Bowman at Middle Linebacker, felt like the experience he brought made a huge difference on our defense.
  • Jared Cook making plays at the end when we needed him too.

BAD

• Reggie Nelson, I've seen him mentioned by some and rightfully so. He doesn't try to make plays until after the receiver has already caught the ball. Needs to make a play on the ball sometimes. Maybe age has finally caught up with him? Either way i hope he is one of the first gone in the off-season.
  • The rest of your secondary wasn't all that great either.
  • Still not seeing enough sacks.

UGLY

• First I'd have to say the long touchdown that went through Keith McGill's hands.
  • Second is easily the whole Marshawn Lynch incident. Was he running on the field to save Peters or help his QB. If it was to save Peters to me thats the wrong move to make, I don't care if he is from Oakland too. I wouldn't care if Lynch was cut right now actually, he was nothing more than a publicity stunt anyways trying to keep Oakland fans happy.

Forgot to mention that I thought Justin Ellis was excellent, he looks to have lost at least 15 lbs of fat and looks far more agile and reactive and more effective as a result, also that Jared Cook looks like what we envisioned Walford to be - a genuine threat down the seams and even out past the numbers at TE. This could be very, very valuable for Carr when we come up against great defences that can limit our wideouts. 

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Forgot to mention that I thought Justin Ellis was excellent, he looks to have lost at least 15 lbs of fat and looks far more agile and reactive and more effective as a result, also that Jared Cook looks like what we envisioned Walford to be - a genuine threat down the seams and even out past the numbers at TE. This could be very, very valuable for Carr when we come up against great defences that can limit our wideouts. 

Jelly has had an underrated season (albeit a contract year) thus far. He was 3rd in tackles on Thursday. Glad to see him put it together, question is what will it cost to resign him and will he keeps his weight down?

Good:

Amari Cooper- I've been hard on him. Still skeptical as I'd like to see more consistency game to game, not just a 1 game fiesta. But props to him.

Offensive play calling- for the most part it looked like Downing was competent for once.

Bowman- made a noticeable difference in many ways.

Bad:

Nelson per usual

The usual bad and the fact that we got really really really lucky in this win. But KC is a good team, for what that's worth. 

Ugly:

Marshawn- I'll take it though

Good:

Carr

Cooper (dropped some easy ones though...should have had an even bigger game)

Bowman's blitzing and run defense

Bad:

David Amerson (I've never seen someone get beat so badly on multiple plays in a game like that)

Reggie Nelson

All of our LBs in coverage

Non-existent pass rush

Ugly:

Keith McGill screwing up that easy INT

Marshawn getting tossed for running on the field lol

8 hours ago, RaisinBran said:

Good:

Carr

Cooper (dropped some easy ones though...should have had an even bigger game)

Bowman's blitzing and run defense

Bad:

David Amerson (I've never seen someone get beat so badly on multiple plays in a game like that)

Reggie Nelson

All of our LBs in coverage

Non-existent pass rush

Ugly:

Keith McGill screwing up that easy INT

Marshawn getting tossed for running on the field lol

I disagree on the pass rush. There where many times Smith was rushed on his throws because Mack was in his face. Smith is a very good veteran so he's not going to take sacks. Also because of a weak secondary receivers get open pretty quick. If the Raiders had a better secondary there would have been more sacks or even 3 and outs in my opinion. 

39 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I disagree on the pass rush. There where many times Smith was rushed on his throws because Mack was in his face. Smith is a very good veteran so he's not going to take sacks. Also because of a weak secondary receivers get open pretty quick. If the Raiders had a better secondary there would have been more sacks or even 3 and outs in my opinion. 

Any way you look at it guys will get open. We have played cover 1, 2, Man and zone. The offense adjusts too. It's about the players and coaches being prepared for the offense and to play to correct sets to stop them, dial up pressure at time and in ways the offense can't see or stop it and execute how they were taught and beat the man in front of them. It's not the secondary OR the pressure alone but the whole unit working together.

Good

DC delivers. He was on the field wtih full mamba menatality. Game winning drive was such a unique one. 

Bowman's effect. I know, D has a long way to go but Bowman's presence was made a difference on certain areas like communication, leadership etc. 

We finally remembered Coope again. Todd used him different spots and made him involved. That's the right thing to do regain him and it's paid off. 

T.J. Carrie and Jelly. Just unsung heroes on a bad defense.

Bad

We have worst secondary all of football and unfortunately there is nothing to change it. Just stop deluding ourselves, Conley won't return anytime soon and Obi cameback as a player who missed half season (but still upgrade over Nelson).

Ugly

Like pretty much everyone it's Lynch. I know you're close with Peters but that's your quarterback here and there is no need to rush to field. These men play football, not killing each other. 

Surprised nobody said K. Mack.  I guess it's because he's in the "Future HOF Category".  The guy handles his business every week.  He definitely provided a great deal of pressure throughout the game.  Mack putting Fisher on the ground was excellent.  He may not be the sack leader every year but he terrifies OT's.  If they called all of the holds on him and the plays where they grab his face mask we would probably be a top 10 defense.  I say it every time I bring him up, I really hope the OT's are sending him flowers for all those hugs they get from him.

Archived