NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

True, but that's the price you pay for the career you've chosen...I'd rent an apartment and stay there in the offseason.  You don't even need to be a superstar....a guy the caliber of Ja'Waun James isn't a superstar, but he wasn't getting cut anytime soon, so he really didn't have an excuse. 

Might be easier if you don’t have a family or kids. Would imagine for players with families, it’s preferred to be closer to them and not have to move them all of the time.

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Might be easier if you don’t have a family or kids. Would imagine for players with families, it’s preferred to be closer to them and not have to move them all of the time.

It's always difficult with children...especially depending upon their age...it's why I originally moved to Seattle when my children were little, I didn't want to have to uproot them when they were older...we did end up coming back to Kansas, but they weren't very far along in school yet...and now we've been here ever since.  Both of my kids are adults now, but the only thing keeping me here is my job.  I love my children, and especially now that I have a grandchild, it may be difficult to leave, but it wouldn't stop me, as I can do exactly what my mom did when we moved out west, come and visit every year. 

Everyone's situation is unique, but I just feel that you should give yourself the best chance to succeed, and the best chance would be to be near the facility in the offseason.  It's certainly cheaper and safer...and mitigates the risk that occurred in the James situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

A lot of guys that took one year deals are licking their chops.  Not to mention QBs with expiring deals.  Who are next up for QBs?  Allen and Mayfield?

Allen, Mayfield, and Lamar Jackson (as well as Darnold, if he can earn a long-term deal with Carolina).  All 4 will be on their 5th yr options in 2022. 

Edited by swede700

On 5/26/2021 at 3:29 PM, swede700 said:

Allen, Mayfield, and Lamar Jackson (as well as Darnold, if he can earn a long-term deal with Carolina).  All 4 will be on their 5th yr options in 2022. 

I think all 3 will be making 35+ per.  I also think Darnold flames out quick and Carolina is kicking themselves for not taking Fields at this time next year

OTC has updated their 2022 cap number to reflect the $208M ceiling. If it hits the ceiling Vikes would have ~$14.6M in cap space.

I wonder how much potential extensions for Smith and O'Neill would eat into that figure. Perhaps they'd structure so the bigger cap hits start in 2023 when Cousins is off the books?

39 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

OTC has updated their 2022 cap number to reflect the $208M ceiling. If it hits the ceiling Vikes would have ~$14.6M in cap space.

I wonder how much potential extensions for Smith and O'Neill would eat into that figure. Perhaps they'd structure so the bigger cap hits start in 2023 when Cousins is off the books?

At least with Harrison, I imagine they might plug in some voidable years to spread out any cap hit, but with O'Neill, yes, I think they'll structure the biggest part of the cap hit in 2023 or later.